BC Boards

Tri color smoothie looking for a home!

Our latest foster Lark is ready to be adopted! She's around four years old, medium energy, quite sensitive, super sweet, and while she's made massive improvements from when we got her a few months ago, she's still prone to some anxiety so will need a Border Collie-savvy home. She is an absolute doll and in the right home will be an amazing pup!

For more info see: https://www.bordercollierescuewesttn.org/our-animals or check out West TN Border Collie Rescue on Facebook.

Thanks for sharing Sue!

Isn't she adorable?? Flickr or my internet one is giving me issues, or I'd post a ton more photos. She has a habit of sticking her tongue out at you, and even has a cute little mustache. And those ears!

We've fostered several shy but sweet Border Collies but she is on another level entirely. She was so shut down when we first got her I don't think she wagged at all the first week. Wouldn't eat, had to be picked up to be put outside, and was a total escape artist. She is a totally different dog these days, not quite brave yet but happy and playful with so much more confidence.

Oh my gosh. :wub:

I absolutely love her looks. What a wonderful face, and expression. I wish I could bring her home to me!

C'mon, you know you can't resist that face! :D

We've had one family call about her, and it sounded like a great home except that they were unfamiliar with Border Collies and obsessive behaviors. Lark will occasionally exhibit slightly obsessive behavior like circling the couch if she gets anxious. It's in its earliest stages, she's easy to redirect and the tendency is dropping as she gains confidence, but I could see it becoming a big problem if left "untreated". I encouraged them to do some research to see if they'd be comfortable identifying and stopping those behaviors, but haven't heard back. I assume they decided it would be too much.

My husband and I laugh that we've been unintentionally encouraging bad behavior in Lark. Most of our fosters we don't allow on the furniture, or to jump on people, or paw us for attention and pets, and usually start the basics (sit/down/stay/recall etc). With Lark, we're so thrilled to see her ASKING for attention instead of cowering in fear that we let her be super demanding. And the rare times she jumps on us it's gentle and she hugs your leg and just sweetly asks to be petted and it's too adorable to admonish her ;). She was so shut down and terrified of doing something "wrong" that we haven't wanted to pressure her and hurt her confidence. So now she's an attention-demanding couch Collie!

Well, I would consider her, actually, but for the fact that I am not ready for the next dog. Kit is fifteen and a half, and I am not going to bring in a new dog and cause her that kind of disruption at this point in her life. But Lark sure is an appealing dog!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this sweet girl up, I am so shocked we've had such little interest in Lark! We are hoping to find her a home soon, I am likely moving across the country in a few months and would prefer her to go to her forever home instead of another foster. She has SO much more confidence and energy now than she did a few months ago. She is definitely still going to need a very patient home, but she is just getting so much better at handling new things. I took her hiking with my folks (whom she'd never met) and although she was a bit unsure, she was brave about everything including people and dogs, and spent much of the hike off leash, happy to stick within a few feet of me but confident enough to do some exploring on her own. She seems to bond quite closely with "her" people, like most Border Collies. If she's a bit scared she'll look to me for guidance and trusts me when I tell her she'll be fine.

We'd appreciate anyone sharing West TN Border Collie Rescue's post about her on Facebook, hopefully we can find her the perfect family soon!

• 1 month later...