BC Boards

Finals Webcast

PennyT

I understand that the Finals will have live streaming. Do I get to watch all six days (or five days) all day long or just the last two?

If I miss part of the Semi-finals, will there be a way to catch the missed runs?

Will a video be made of the Final with complete international shed footage?

I can drive some overworked committee member crazy with this question; however, if someone here knows the answer that will save a harried volunteer annoyance.

Also, I gather from the Finals website that more viewers are desirable. Why is that? In any case, how long does the program have to be streamed to qualify as a worthwhile hit?

Penny

I understand that the Finals will have live streaming. Do I get to watch all six days (or five days) all day long or just the last two?

If I miss part of the Semi-finals, will there be a way to catch the missed runs?

Will a video be made of the Final with complete international shed footage?

I can drive some overworked committee member crazy with this question; however, if someone here knows the answer that will save a harried volunteer annoyance.

Also, I gather from the Finals website that more viewers are desirable. Why is that? In any case, how long does the program have to be streamed to qualify as a worthwhile hit?

Penny

Hi, Penny:

1. Just the last two--we're only offering the stream for the semi-finals and finals.

2. Maybe. We've had some vague talks about what we were going to do post-production with the video, but I don't think we decided anything other than *something* will be done with it--it'll either be available to view in individual handler segments via the USBCHA web site, or sold as a DVD, or both.

3. The reason that more viewers are desirable is that we have a couple of potential sponsors who are interested in the outcome. If we can show that in this first year enough people were interested in at least watching for a bit, they might want to sponsor a web cast in subsequent years. If things go really well, it might help the USBCHA attract a multi-year sponsor for other expenses of the Finals itself, so every year the local committees wouldn't have to scramble quite so hard. Our producers are going to give us a tally of everything, so we'll know how many people registered to watch the event, and how many minutes or hours they actually spent watching it.

"Our producers are going to give us a tally of everything, so we'll know how many people registered to watch the event, and how many minutes or hours they actually spent watching it."

Registered where and how to watch the event? You don't simply click on the URL?

How many minutes would you suggest when I start dragooning people? Some providers can be stingy with this sort of thing so knowing the lower limit would be helpful.

Penny

"Our producers are going to give us a tally of everything, so we'll know how many people registered to watch the event, and how many minutes or hours they actually spent watching it."

Registered where and how to watch the event? You don't simply click on the URL?

How many minutes would you suggest when I start dragooning people? Some providers can be stingy with this sort of thing so knowing the lower limit would be helpful.

Penny

No, you don't just click on the URL. In the next week or so, there will be a link to go to the viewer page itself. You register there with your email address and password, and that becomes your login information. (Nobody is collecting or using your email address for any spamming purposes--this is just how their system works.) It's pretty simple and straightforward. Don't worry about telling people any specific amounts of minutes to watch: I think we really want a good idea of how people like this, apart from any attempt to jury rig anything. I hope people will try it and stick around because it's interesting and the quality is high, but only time will tell if this is misplaced optimism! :-)

Of course, it goes without saying that if you're in the D.C. area, you should attend the Finals live if you can. A video stream is great, but there's never a substitute for being there in person to watch the dogs run!

Archived