Petsmart buys Chewy

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

A correction: I've since learned I erred; Chewy is *not* a sponsor for the 2017 National Sheepdog Finals. (They were asked, but declined; instead they donated a box of dog-related items).

Hmmm. I had also heard that they were a sponsor. They continue to lose points in my book.  I am also trying to do a bit of research into the HSUSA ties with Petsmart.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#22 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,730 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Today I got an e-mail from Chewy, inviting me to re-order supplies I had bought from them in the past.  I responded to this by sending them the following e-mail.

Geonni Banner

10:49 AM 5/16/17

I am writing to tell you that I will no longer be ordering from Chewy.com.

I have always been happy with your products and services, but I have learned that your company has been acquired by PetSmart.

I cannot do business with PetSmart because of their policy of selling animals such as birds, reptiles and "pocket pets" in their stores.

I am sorry, but I cannot support this practice.

Thank you for your fine service in the past.

Sincerely,

Geonni Banner

I received this answer:

Chewy Customer Service

MAY 16, 2017  |  02:47PM EDT

Hi there Geonni,

We're so sorry to see you go. Pets, and those who love them will continue to be at the core of all that we do here at Chewy. We'll be operating as an independent subsidiary of PetSmart, under the direction of our founder and CEO Ryan Cohen.

The terrific customer service, prices and pet puns you've grown accustomed to aren't going anywhere. We've taken great pride in being your trusted source for your furry family's pet products

Warm regards,

Rebeka

Customer Service

Chewy

So, I looked up “independent subsidiary” and this is what I found:

“The relationship between the parent company and an independent subsidiary tends to be limited. The parent company typically functions as the sole stock owner, or at least maintains a controlling interest. This makes the subsidiary financially accountable to the parent in the same way public companies are accountable to stockholders. The parent company typically elects the board of directors for the subsidiary and in the development of the subsidiary’s bylaws but otherwise does not interfere in the hiring or firing of executives and staff.”  From: http://yourbusiness....iary-13123.html

So as near as I can tell, my buying things from Chewy puts money in the pockets of PetSmart, which I object to because they sell live animals in their stores. 

I appreciate the prompt response from Chewy to my e-mail.  But it hasn’t changed my mind about buying from them in future.

What would Rainbow Dash do?

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

With%2Bthe%2BBarbados.jpg

#23 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I had posted about Petsmart buying Chewy a few weeks ago, and I have to say that I agree with you that I no longer wish to do business with Chewy/Petsmart.  I understand that Petsmart supports PETA - but I tried to search online and could not find an active relationship. I admit that I didn't spend much time searching. I also have heard that Petsmart supports HSUSA. I did find a few online links, but again, I spent limited time searching and the few links I found were confusing as to the relationship between the two. I do not wish to support PETA or HSUSA either directly (obviously) or indirectly through Petsmart.

Petsmart is advertising a campaign in which if you buy pet food from them, they contribute to buy meals for shelter pets. This sounds all warm and fuzzy, but I cynically wonder who/which organization(s) is receiving the money from Petsmart,  how they are managing it, and how much goes to providing meals. I have been meaning to try and do some research on that, but have not yet found the time.

On a more personal level, I have checked back into Chewy's website several times and have definitely noticed an increase in prices for most of the brands that I usually order.

The Chewy/Petsmart story was also a topic of discussion on my FB feed for a couple of days, and quite a few people who had signed up for automatic shipments contacted Chewy and cancelled their shipments, preferring to shop elsewhere.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#24 highway61

highway61

• Registered Users
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

this past weekend I got a letter from Chewy saying that something I ordered previously from them (Natural Planet kibble) "has decided to no longer make their products available at Chewy. To help make the right choice for your pet, we want to offer you a 50% discount on your next three orders of pet food". 

So when I logged in and chose a sack of kibble, sure 'nuff, the discount shows in the cart (the $2.99 toy was added to avoid $4.95 shipping on orders under $49.00). To each their own but I'm not mounting a high horse to override the great prices and customer service Chewy continues to provide me.

Attached Files

#25 Rush Fan

Rush Fan

• Registered Users
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Hockey, Fishing

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

this past weekend I got a letter from Chewy saying that something I ordered previously from them (Natural Planet kibble) "has decided to no longer make their products available at Chewy. To help make the right choice for your pet, we want to offer you a 50% discount on your next three orders of pet food". 

So when I logged in and chose a sack of kibble, sure 'nuff, the discount shows in the cart (the $2.99 toy was added to avoid $4.95 shipping on orders under $49.00). To each their own but I'm not mounting a high horse to override the great prices and customer service Chewy continues to provide me.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this, as long as the prices stay low, which I have serious doubts about as more time passes. Petsmart says they bought Chewy to "increase their online presence", but this reeks of a competition elimination transaction. I don't see how they increase their online presence by allowing Chewy to continue operating independently. But I'll certainly take a wait and see approach as far as that goes. I just ordered another one of the Frisco 36" crates... priced at $22. I see people selling used crates on craigslist for nearly double that amount. I also ordered a couple more of the split elk antler chews my little girl loves which are @ 50% cheaper than anyplace else I know of. I can certainly sympathize with those who are taking a stand for something they have strong feelings about, but my limited financial resources are winning out in this case. I guess the fact that the Petsmart stores in my area do not sell pets makes it a little easier for me too though. 

#26 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

I cannot have an argument with anyone who is refusing to support a company whose practices they dislike. That is a personal prerogative, and should be a valuable one to wield.

However, I doubt that it wields much any more.   There are probably no more than four or five actual corporations in this country, if that, and they are all gargantuan and they own and control all the other companies that people like to think are independent. The same corporation also owns several companies which appear to be independent and in competition with one another, but it is all a sham.

My bet is that if you could know who is really controlling the companies whose products you probably buy every day,  and you knew what their business practices are here and abroad,  you would want to boycott them, but if you did you'd not be able any longer to buy anything you are accustomed to buying. Everywhere you would turn would be a company you would not want to support.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#27 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

^^^ Like button.  LIKE BUTTON! Well said, D'Elle.

Ruth & Gibbs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.