BC Boards

Puppy has been picked! Flying?

Puppy has been picked!! We chose a little B/W boy! He's the most mellow of the litter, and while he's not the most outgoing fellow I'm sure that can change!

We have tentatively decided to ship him home. We are struggling to make do with an 11 hour drive each way, and flying might be the easiest/cheapest way! Does anyone have any experience with flying a pup? Which airlines, final costs, crate tips, etc. I don't want it to be too traumatic for the little guy!

And for your viewing pleasure...

post-14480-0-16085900-1397424070_thumb.jpg

I sure wish I could! But unfortunately it would cost a fortune, so we have opted with the cargo hold as long as it's completely temperature controlled and that he would be monitored! If it looks like it would be too stressful for the little one we will opt out of shipping all together though!

My Dan flew here on Delta as an eight-week old pup, from San Diego to Pittsburgh by way of Atlanta. A delay meant he was in the crate over 19 hours rather than the expected 11-12. He got just a bit messy, didn't like the mess one bit (his breeder put in plenty of absorbent material so he wasn't wet or skanky), and he did just fine.

I hope people chime in with personal experiences. Meanwhile, you might try the "search" function because there have been several topics about flying in the last couple of years.

Tyrelsamson had a great idea - sometimes it is cheaper to fly yourself and bring the pup back either as carry-on or baggage - but if it won't work for you, it's not an option.

I had a 8.5-9 week old pup shipped on Delta from NC to FL via Atlanta in Sept 2012. Now that the weather is getting warmer, temperature is a consideration. Temperatures need to be below a certain threshold (85F, I think) at all points in the route, where the animal will be in the ground, unless the airline has a special summertime program, which Delta had at the time.

I had considered flying to NC and taking the pup back on the plane with me in a Sherpa bag, but the breeder warned against it--and she was right--- the pup and I probably would have been deplanned mid-flight! I do know of 2 people who did fly with young pups in Sherpa bags without incident, but the pups were more mellow than my guy.

So, my pup flew in cargo. All flights coming into FL from the departing airport had a stopover, so I had the pup flown into a regional airport (on a commuter jet) that was 10 minutes from my house. The breeder sent me a tracking number, so I was able to track the crate for the entire journey on the Delta web site. I did lose the puppy for a time while it was on the ground in Altanta, but there was a number that I called and I spoke to a person who made me feel better. After I was certain that the pup was loaded onto the plane in Atlanta (and there were some scarey moments as there was a lag of a few minutes between take off out of Atlanta and the time that the crate was confirmed to be on the plane), I watched the plane's flight path on a non Delta web site. When the plane had descended to a few thousand feet, I left for the airport and actually heard the plane landing as I was getting into my car. I arrived at the ticket counter about 3 minutes before the crate.

The pup stepped out of the crate (the bedding was wet) in MUCH better shape than I was. Before loading the pup in the car, I took him for a walk around the airport parking lot and he was completely unbothered by the experience. When we got home, the pup boldly explored the yard while I called the breeder.

I flew to Dallas,TX to pick up Texi so that he could fly back in the cabin with me. To fly him back to NC (via Atlanta) it cost an additional $80. He was good as gold, no issues. I picked him up in May and to fly him back in cargo might have gotten tricky with the temps.

I have had three pups shipped from the Midwest to SFO, on Delta. All three came through the experience well and airline was great. Had a yearling shipped from Montana on a regional with a stop over in Seattle before she was put on jet to SFO. This was Alaska airlines. First time using Alaska and shipping an older dog. Again no issue. Was happy with both airlines and dogs handled it well.

Good luck with your new pup.

I flew from Idaho to Baltimore (changing planes in SLC) with a pup in a Sherpa bag in the main cabin. He was so good that no one noticed it wasn't just a regular carryon suitcase. I did let him out in the "family bathroom" at the airport in SLC and tried to encourage him to pee on a puppy pad, but he wasn't having any of it. He managed to hold it for 14 hours. I bought a bottle of water after we'd cleared TSA and offered him some in a folding bowl from time to time.

The breeder was happy to ship him (prefers Delta) but this was in the middle of sequestration, when flights were delayed right and left. I was also concerned because at that time of year, temperatures could spike into the 90s.

But I know PLENTY of people who have had pups shipped with no problems at all.

When I sent a pup to Alaska I was lucky that the recipient had friends who had been visiting in the lower 48 and were traveling back through Atlanta. I drove the pup down to Atlanta, where the friends picked her up and flew her back in the cabin. Flying to AK was a special consideration, though, because of available flights and flight times. I was more comfortable knowing she had people looking after her the whole way.

When she was an adult, we shipped her back to me for training and she traveled fine in the cargo hold from Raleigh to AK, via Seattle I think. She went home the same way without problems.

J.