BC Boards

Crate types

Someone asked about water in a crate - I bought a couple of flat-sided stainless steel pails and some carabiners (for hanging them to the inside of the crate) from PetEdge. The price was good (only about $6 per pail IIRC, though they'll tack on a fee if you don't meet their minimum order).

I use dog beds in the crate. They help keep the dogs more comfortable, provide some insulation when it's cold outside, and I can throw them in the washing machine if they get dirty or somehow mysteriously pick up a touch of "eau de skunk"

Eileen, I sure couldn't find any sturdy wire crates when I was looking for one recently, which is why I moved to Ruff Tough (plastic-sided) crates. Let me know if you're successful. The back of my car (a Passat wagon) isn't wide enough for even two "SUV style" wire crates side-by-side, and the Ruff Tough crates had an advantage there.

Airline rules aside, I don't think dogs need as much room in a crate for travel (i.e., in a car) as they might appreciate in a crate in a home. In fact I feel they're safer in a crate that's not too huge in a car - less risk of them being thrown as far (and landing as hard) in an accident? As long as they've got room to turn around and stand up. I've got an "intermediate" Ruff Tough crate for my 43-lb dog, and "medium" crates for my 29-lb and 31-lb dogs. They're a touch narrower than standard crates but are also a touch taller.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use flat sided stainless steel pails and double ended snaps. I don't generally leave water in for travel, but they always have water when we get to our destination.I like the buckets that have the handle ends enclosed so that they don't catch on anything. Mine have lasted for years.

As for bedding, most of my dogs travel with bedding, except for those who just push it out of the way anyway. I have a couple who will destroy bedding in crates at home, but who will generally travel well with bedding. I've used an antifatigue mat in the Kennel-Aire crate when I was still using that in the van, and it worked well, but it had holes in it so wouldn't contain spills (like pieces of treats or kibble, etc.).

I prefer to have my older dogs in larger crates for their comfort, but because of the configuration in my van, I need to use one medium crate (on top of the large that Willow rides in--she can't even turn around in an intermediate now). Since my dogs generally just curl up in the back of their crates for travel, I don't feel bad putting a smaller dog in the medium crate. I don't leave them in the smaller crate once we get where we're going, and that has worked fine for me (usually I'm going to set sheep at a trial, so will have one dog working and can tie out another one or two, which frees up the bigger crates so no one has to stay in a tiny crate).

J.

Someone asked about water in a crate - I bought a couple of flat-sided stainless steel pails and some carabiners (for hanging them to the inside of the crate) from PetEdge. The price was good (only about $6 per pail IIRC, though they'll tack on a fee if you don't meet their minimum order).

I use dog beds in the crate. They help keep the dogs more comfortable, provide some insulation when it's cold outside, and I can throw them in the washing machine if they get dirty or somehow mysteriously pick up a touch of "eau de skunk"

<snip>

Airline rules aside, I don't think dogs need as much room in a crate for travel (i.e., in a car) as they might appreciate in a crate in a home. <snip>

I use the double ended snaps too. I had a really "special" dog that managed to get his collar caught in a carabiner, even though it was so close to the door and connected to a bucket. I also sometimes use quick links since they remain closed when you close them.