BC Boards

Puppy Stuff

Most adult leashes have a heavier clip/clasp than I like for a small pup. I like a thinner lead with a lighter weight/smaller clasp for the first few months. Especially if you are clipping into a collar, the weight of the larger clasp falling down the side seems an unnecessary burden on a young pup, to me.

I made a super lightweight drag line with 3/8 nylon webbing and a lighweight clip. I love it and the dog can hardly tell that it's there. You can order the webbing and clips online (I got them at strapworks.com) or maybe a fabrics/crafts store. Then just sew it together on any basic sewing machine.

I was just looking at x-pens. What height do you all recommend?

I'd say go ahead and get the 36 inch one. A friend of mine had a puppy that at 10 weeks could climb like a howler monkey! If you get the taller one, you'll be able to use it later when the pup is grown, should you find need. :)

Also, Amazon.com has good prices on x-pens and free shipping.

~ Gloria

Something else you can consider with an x-pen is the cover that is available. Using it, maybe from the very start, might deter a young pup from ever considering a climb out. Getting an x-pen with a gate and avoiding leaning over the top may (for some pups) allow the inmate to never view the open top as a potential exit.

I remember what DD said about one of my household barriers - her dogs would consider it merely a "suggestion" while my dogs never even try to go over it, and it's pretty short.

Every pup and dog is different!

You're welcome, Kristine! It worked excellently for me for Dan but might or might not work as well for another pup of a different temperament.

What's funny is that Dan is a very contrary, willful dog in many ways but he was so easy for crating/penning as a pup. He still keeps me guessing!

I don't remember who told me about it, but a deer antler to chew. Mya has had one now for about a month and a half and has barely made a dent on it but she chews it a lot and saves her chewing on other stuff.

Also we got a gate for doors when we wanted her to have run of a room but not the whole house at first. like in my office when I am working so I don't have to close the door. It looks like a baby gate but actually has a door the human can walk through and also a smaller door that the dog can walk through too. As she got older I moved it to the end of the hallway so now she could explore a bit in 3 rooms and the hallway but I knew where she was and all rooms had floors easy to clean.

I went to a outlet store like Big Lots and bought a soft baby blanket to bring her home, kind of like a security blanket that is all hers. We take it when she rides in the car or truck when she goes with us to have to sit on now. Also a plush stuffed animal for her to sleep with the first few nights I thought but she still a lot will go get it and bring it to bed with her. Suppose to simulate their siblings or mama being there with them to snuggle up too.

The other thing I have done with x pens is not use it to contain the puppy, but use it to protect something from the puppy...like the candles and cords near my fireplace or my old dog who sleeps soundly in her small bed in the corner next to the couch...kept him from sneaking up to harass her.

I have also used it to block off flowers, my small pond and other things in the back yard.

Got my dog her first nylabone today- she found it and took it out of the bag and brought it over to me. I was delighted! Told her she could have it, and came back in to an extremely happy dog... who was shredding the cardboard part of the packaging, the bone itself lying totally forgotten. Ah well. She had fun anyway.

The kong however has never gone out of favor in this house. It's one of the black ones- I was worried it would be too hard or heavy to be attractive, but no problems thus far. It's their go-to toy for chewing or playing fetch. The favourites are that and the holee roller.

My pup loves her treat cube. Its somewhat like a rubics cube and they have to solve the puzzle to get the reward. Keeps her busy and stimulated for an hour at least!

She also went bonkers for her mini-kong stuffed with some peanut butter and a liver treat.

Congrats on your new addition :D

Both my x-pens are the 4 foot tall ones. A bit stronger in case the puppy jumps up on the sides. Holee Rollers with a squeeky tennis ball inside are one of mine's favourite toys! Tess had 4 different food dispensing things I had in her x-pen to keep her entertained. Antlers were good too. I had a few other rubber type toys like kongs etc that I could stuff things in to keep her occupied. No stuffies or toys she could destroy. I had a rope tug for when we played tug but it was away the rest of the time. She loves the jolly egg too!!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to bring this back up to say a huge "THANK YOU" to those who recommended and game me information about the ex-pen! It has, hands down, been the most helpful piece of equipment ever!!

It provides an instant feeding station in the kitchen. I am able to use it to block off areas in house that has mostly an open floor plan. I can block off the whole fireplace room, or expand the area to include the kitchen, with no problem whatsoever. And I anticipate much use outdoors this summer.

Items I would add from the midst of it for anyone getting a puppy in the future: bowls that hang on a wire crate (I had to search a bit to find one that was stainless steel), puppy pads, and outdoor toys that can stay outside.

I LOVE my puppy. I honestly didn't think I was going to love having a puppy. I thought I would love him, but consider his puppyhood something to grow through to get to the good stuff. But I am really loving this!!

Thanks, again, to all who helped with suggestions for stuff. With a few exceptions, I was very well equipped and that helped that first week go much smoother.