BC Boards

Hair Standing Up?

So today my 4 month puppy did something new, I was outside in the front yard with him and two girls walked passed us and he started barking, this is usual with him and strangers when he can't get to them (behind a door, on a leash, etc) but this time his hair was standing up on along his back. What does this usually mean with border collies? He wasn't cowering or anything, standing pretty confident looking at them walk and barking at them.

Yes, that link covers it pretty well. I especially liked how it mentioned the degree to which piloerection happens and the correspondence to confidence level. Very confident dogs have little or no lifting of the hackles. Nervous dogs seem to bristle up their entire bodies. Some speculate that this is their attempt to look larger than they really are. IDK about that, since piloerection is not well controlled. It isn't a decision they make, so much as a feeling they have.

Sometimes Callie's back fur stands up when she's so excited that she can't even handle it. Usually it's when the neighbor's daughter runs by with her friends and Callie can't get to them. She adores those girls and when she's behind a door or window, she just doesn't even know what to do with herself with all the excitement.

To me it means it's time to start working on some socialization and maybe desensitization/counter-conditioning. ;)

Yup, I agree. If he's that over-excited, it's time to put some training on him before it becomes an obsessive or alarming behavior. 4 to 7 months can be a fear period for them, so socialization and desensitization can serve a double benefit of de-fusing a possibly undesirable habit and teaching him that the world is not really that bark-worthy. ;)

~ Gloria