Second try

23 replies to this topic

#21 Alfreda

Alfreda

• Registered Users
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:BCs, herding, animal cognition, farm & garden

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

Just trying to better understand the topography of the GAP between the farmwork Glama already does and what she would need to do at a trial--

I'm thinking she must already have a good deal of confidence to work free-range, unfamiliar, non-flocking, dog-challenging sheep during the round-up, no? So, where does her lack of confidence show up in her farm work- are you standing there with her all the time or something?

The description of the trial sounded more like she needs practice on pacing, working farther out of the "bubble," (on the fetch), and then she needs more push to move them against a draw- would working on those things really detract from what she can already do? (I understand it would take time away from other work etc.)

I used to think that training had to be a gradual, additive, simplified process, but I have been integrating information from other fields (motor learning  and neuroscience) and I am not so sure... :)

#22 Alfreda

Alfreda

• Registered Users
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:BCs, herding, animal cognition, farm & garden

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Smalahundar- not intending to challenge you, or your judgement--  :)  just really curious!

#23 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,712 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

Can a sheepdog gain confidence and courage from working with another sheepdog possessed of those qualities?  If so, could you arrange to regularly combine your efforts with someone who owns such a dog? Or is that even done?... :unsure:

What would Rainbow Dash do?

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

With%2Bthe%2BBarbados.jpg

#24 red russel

red russel

• Registered Users
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

Yes.  Sometimes it is a "permission" thing.  Seeing another dog grip a recalcitrant sheep can encourage and embolden a dog lacking confidence.  

A dog can also gain confidence and courage from their handler with confidence and courage. The relationship and trust is built while training and working.  A dog understanding that his handler has his back and will step in when working at home can take that to the trial field and grow in strength and ability.  It is a beautiful and heartwarming thing to watch when you know the before and after.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.