BC Boards

Improving the Drive?

MossyOak

Sometimes I will walk parallel to a dog and sort of quasi-follow from the side while he's driving. That allows me to help him hold a better line and gently correct - sometimes just an "ah-ah!" - while he goes. That worked really well for my Nick, who is a flank-a-holic.

Or if a dog's not comfortable with me beside them, as my Gael was not, I walk behind them and again just offer mild corrections. A long line can help, as well, if they're bad about flanking around to the heads or doing too much wearing behind the sheep.

In either case, often just walking with a dog is a big help. I think sometimes lack of confidence or uncertainty about this new job contribute to drifting or flanking on the drive, so walking with the dog, either beside or behind, gives them extra support until they're able to work further and further from me.

My tuppence only of course. :)

~ Gloria

I would beg to differ Mr. McCaig, a true line dog will hold the line in any direction regardless of the direction of the drive and want to, in some cases it can be a challenge to break them of the line they are holding so that you can have them set the sheep onto a different line.

Hi, Donald. Dunno about eastern trials at all. I have a bitch, Tikkle, who is now 8, who has always just understood a line. In fact, this morning I was working her on the calves and drove them straight away, then flanked her on the away, gave her the "there, now drive that line" whistle (really just a "there" and then a walk up that all sort of blend together), and she cross drove beautifully. She always has. But we are in SoCal, so I guess that doesn't count? :rolleyes:

A

Not the same as holding a perfect line, but then these were flighty sheep, but I pointed Pip and sheep toward some panels across the field yesterday and he was taking them along nicely. I decided to adjust and asked for a flank. He stopped and put his ears back, which was his way of saying "don't f*ck this up by insisting on that flank" and of course he was right. I don't know that he's a line dog per se, but both he (and his mama) know what panels are for and will take them to/through....

ETA: I assumed Donald was asking about east coast because those woud be easiest for him to observe.

J.

My Gabe, who always keeps me guessing on which method he'll use on a certain set of sheep, does have that ability. One time, very early in his training, Gabe's breeder had him a couple weeks while I was at a conference. He wasn't solid on his flanks or his whistles, but when I picked him up, she put him through a legitimate Open Ranch course with only a "there" whistle to start the cross-drive and then a few steady whistles across the field. I was blown away!

Sad to say I can rarely read the sheep and field pressure that precisely to find the sweet spot for setting this up at a trial. But I have seen it happen where he throws down and takes them away straight as an arrow on any line.

Don't some trainers actually teach a dog that "there" means keep them moving on that line? That ability (trained or natural) could be why some dogs can excel at trials with notorious dead spots while others stop to look at the handler or end up bringing the sheep. Hop Bottom and Rural Hill cross drives come to mind.

Very interesting topic, but it makes me feel a bit ignorant.

It is the first time I hear of a "there" command used like this.

When I (try to... ;) ) put a dog on a line I will just give him a "walk up" command and the necessary "steadies".

My feeling is the dog should then drive along the line until told otherwise.