BC Boards

Do Border Collies Dream of Sheep" a review

Donald McCaig

Lassie Come Home, Adam’s Task, The Plague Dogs, White Fang, Winterdance: classic dog books inhabit a mysterious, magical space where two unalike species love and comprehend one another. Do Border Collies Dream of Sheep? is such a classic.

A pup from a Tennesse farm flies to New York City to become a service dog; its littermate is trained to be a working sheepdog. In alternating chapters, the pups’ owners tell how both worked out.

Carol Benjamin is a New Yorker, through and through. She’s been a pet dog trainer all her life, and among her books is “Mother Knows Best” one of the best selling training books of all time. Denise Wall remembers her grandmother’s farm, where every sheepdog was named “Dolly”. She’s a top sheepdog trainer and handler, head of the ABCA genetics committee, a biochemist and stock farmer. Carol’s amusing cartoons enhance her writing, Denise is an award winning photographer.

At eight weeks, puppy Sky started his new life in busy, noisy, jampacked Greenwich Village. Puppy May remained on Denise’s sheep farm.

They were important pups with real jobs. Sky had to learn to relieve debilitating pain; without May, Denise couldn’t do her stockwork.

In Do Border Collies Dream of Sheep?, City dog and country dog get equal billing:

Carol on Sky: “I couldn’t teach her how to ride on the bus . .unless I had the right to take her onto the bus. So she had her service dog tag early, plus a little red cape that said ‘service dog in training.’ . . .

“The size of the bus and its slow lumbering progress meant that Sky would be less likely to get motion sickness than she would in a car. This was a good thing. But the noises a bus makes and the large number of strangers and tight quarters make the ride difficult. I decided on two things. First, to start, I would carry Sky and keep her on my lap. That was easy because she was so small, almost too small for the cape she was wearing.

Second, though service dogs should not be distracted when they are working, I decided that if I let every kid on the bus pet Sky, she’d think the bus was a fun place to be. So that’s what I did. I got on the bus with her just when school let out and it was filled with kids on the way home . . .”

Denise on May: “. . .May had to learn how to keep the sheep from coming near the feed pans while I was putting the feed in. Naturally, the sheep were very motivated to outsmart her in this task. They would try to get by her, around her, or sometimes even try to jump over her to get to the feed. Since I was busy putting feed out, May had to figure out how to counter each of their attempts to get to the feed before it was time. Luckily, I was able to start her on this new job in the early fall when there was still some grass. The sheep would fight to get to the feed I was putting out, but not as desperately as they would later in the season . . .Consequently, May had some time to hone her new skills and become more confident at her new job as the sheep became more and more creative and insistent on getting to the food.”

Working/training dogs is mind-work and this book makes you privy to the thinking of two skilled humans and two remarkable dogs as they share extraordinarily difficult tasks.

Carol on Sky: “If I had some pain, she’d reach out and put her paw right on it. I was surprised how hot her paw was and how precise she was about finding the place that needed her help.”

Denise on May: “Sheepdogs often need to carry out a number of complicated actions in order to do a job. They don’t work on a simple reward system like one you would use to teach a dog a trick. They need to understand a general goal and be flexible and inventive enough to do whatever it takes to reach that goal. May’s understanding of the job was so complex that if she was doing a job she already understood but doing it incorrectly, I could call her over to me and talk to her a little in a disapproving voice, expecting that she would understand she needed to do better, and she usually would.”

When three years old and trained for their lifes’ work, the littermates Sky and May meet again. I won’t spoil the ending.

Carol Benjamin and Denise Wall have written a beautiful, fascinating book; a book that does full honor to our dogs.

Although you can purchase this book from Amazon or from Barnes and Noble.com, it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong!) that the authors get a better deal if you purchase it directly from Outrun Press. And the price (for the black and white photo edition, at least) is the same at Amazon as it is from Outrun Press. Me, I'm springing for the color photo edition. Even though it's $1.20 more from Outrun than from Amazon (and costs more than the black-and-white photo version), I figure I should support the working Border collie community. Besides, I'm certain that Denise's photos will be worth it!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like this book better and better every time I reread sections.

As an aside, don't miss the circus dog from Benjamin's grandson, which was a delightful misunderstanding because the service dog wears a cape to work just like trapeze artists and Superman, or Denise's acrobatic pup, an odd and amusing confluence.

Denise's puppy raising so far is my favorite part because it is pertinent to all of us with multiple dogs. I have not yet reread the training part.

Penny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

When I first read this book, quite a while ago now, I intended to post my (very favorable) impressions of it, but I got hung up on trying to figure out just what audience the book would be best suited for. Don't know why I felt a need to do that -- maybe because it's such an unusual book. It has an abundance of amazing, beautiful photos (I bought the color edition) that invite and would reward a lot of attention, but it's not a picture book. It has a lot of insight and specifics about how border collies are trained, both for stock work and for everyday life, but it isn't a training book. It explores the ways a border collie's heritage can help it adapt to very different ways of life, but this angle is portrayed in a way that makes it almost incidental to the story. At its most basic, it is a tale of two little puppers and how they grew, and that story is an engrossing and sometimes amusing one. It's told simply enough that children could enjoy it -- I would have eaten it up at age ten or so -- but it's full of interest for adult readers as well.

So after a lot of musing off and on in an effort to define who the ideal audience for this book would be, I finally decided that the category is actually a very broad one, rather than a very narrow one. Probably the only people who would NOT like this book are people who have no interest at all in dogs. Which pretty much means that I can recommend Do Border Collies Dream of Sheep? to anyone who is reading the BC Boards.

I just checked the ETA of my copy. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to read it!

ETA (but not estimated time of arrival): This book is turning out to be a really nice read for someone who doesn't know the lingo. I finally understand words like "outrun" and "lift" (and even balance, I think). As a book lover, I am always thrilled to find a really good read. This book has not disappointed me.

Archived