BC Boards

Training Secrets of a Hill Shepherd DVD by Derek Scrimgeour

Lora

Hi guys....I just recieved the latest Derek Scrimgeour training DVD and I don't even know where to begin! I absolutely love it. The most amazing aspect is that 12 topics are covered in detail! Want to know what a good flank looks like...check the section of "good flanks!" Hey, so your dog needs to have its flanks opened up...that's covered too! Ever consider putting a bend out on your dog? Derek goes into detail and shows with different dogs how he teaches just that. I especially like the section that summarizes all the training sequences from starting a pup all the way through driving. The whole two DVD training course is broken up into individual sections that are labled so you can go back and look at exactly where you are in your training or find answers to what you might be struggling with. It is over 3 hours in length so you can bet that it is very comprehensive. At this time, you can purchase the DVD at www.bcollies.com

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do! And just in time for Christmas :rolleyes:

Happy training!

Lora

I have been listening to the new 2-CD set from Derek S. as well. A lot of it is a review of his well-known training methods but he also debuts his "dangerous ground" theory in there. I think it would be nice listening if you were driving (and had a CD player in your vehicle). I'm waiting for my copy of the new DVD.

The other books that have been mentioned are among my favorites, especially the David Kennard book and video, "Year of the Working Sheepdog". It is absolutely beautifully done.

thanks,

--Billy

Got my DVD set and watched it. He is able to very clearly explain a method he is using. During the video he often uses a person as a dog, so that he can demonstrate what he wants to accomplish, and then he will briefly use a dog to demonstrate the principal. I thought the section on "outruns" did not really deal with teaching outruns. Other than that, I thought it would make a good DVD, especially for a novice handler, or a not so novice one since shedding, look back and international shedding were all covered very well.

On the down side, I would have liked to see more dogs worked and see problems the dogs had and how he would go about correcting them, maybe in a new DVD Geri? Maybe titled something like "When training does not go as planned" :rolleyes:

Its' interesting to see how some of his methods have changed from his book and other videos. I have never had the pleasure of working with him at a clinic.

Nancy O

Thank you Nancy and Lora for the reviews on the DVD. When putting it together I worried about not enough dog work and a lot of talking heads and demos but he had so much good stuff to say that if I had added additional dog footage, it would have ended up 3 or 4 DVDs long instead of 2 very full ones. I really couldn't cut any of his talks as he is so good at expressing things and his demos show so well what he means. We made sure we included dog footage demonstrating each section but it was a balancing act trying to provide maximum information as well as dog work. We also tried to not duplicate too much of what is in his other DVDs. We mostly concentrated on his newer techniques. I agree, that the basic outrun section could have been better. A lot of that information is included in the Training Overview section which is a separate track completely. Thanks both of you for both the positive and the constructive comments. This has been over a year in the making and I have learned so much listening to him over and over.

Thank you Nancy and Lora for the reviews on the DVD. When putting it together I worried about not enough dog work and a lot of talking heads and demos but he had so much good stuff to say that if I had added additional dog footage, it would have ended up 3 or 4 DVDs long instead of 2 very full ones. I really couldn't cut any of his talks as he is so good at expressing things and his demos show so well what he means. We made sure we included dog footage demonstrating each section but it was a balancing act trying to provide maximum information as well as dog work. We also tried to not duplicate too much of what is in his other DVDs. We mostly concentrated on his newer techniques. I agree, that the basic outrun section could have been better. A lot of that information is included in the Training Overview section which is a separate track completely. Thanks both of you for both the positive and the constructive comments. This has been over a year in the making and I have learned so much listening to him over and over.

Hi Geri,

My appologies, I hadn't seen the Training overview section when I had posted before. I thought I had watched the entire DVD as it finished on it's own each time, but then went back after your post and specifically clicked on the training overview section. I'm not very DVD literate, we only have 2 DVDs in the house, Alasdair's shedding clinic and now Derek's training DVD. Does my world seem very narrow :D

the DVD set is crammed packed full of information. I guess I was more surprised when most of the DVD was "Talking heads", but as you listened to him it didn't really matter. The "Talking Heads" and demos with people, very very clearly explained each of Derek's training methods. I felt that a person with very little experience, could very easily use this video to progress in trianing with thier dog.

I am relooking at the video to maybe change the way I do some of my training on my pups. Also a different method for the look back, I have used his hard lie down from his book, as a cue that a look back is coming, and as Derek pointed out in this new DVD, that can sometimes get you into trouble, as evidenced with my run at Edgeworth with one of my dogs :rolleyes:

Nancy O

Nancy, I guess I need to make the special section more noticeable. We put it by itself as it was filmed at a different time of year and didn't look right with the rest of the footage. It is a summary of his training methods from starting a dog on up. He did it at this year's clinic and we thought it was so useful that we needed to add it. I know I refer to it with the young dogs I am working to see where I need to go next. Thanks again.

Geri

• 2 months later...

I just got done watching this one (thanks, Danielle, for loaning it), and really enjoyed it. As I was watching, I kept thinking that it would be good for very beginning people to get an idea of what they are aiming for (at least, many sections of it). I actually liked the "talking head" part, as I often have people be the dog to demonstrate stuff--felt very familiar. I will watch this one a few more times before I return it to Danielle :rolleyes:

A