Photo

A brief introduction

118 replies to this topic

#1 IronHorse

IronHorse

I'd rather have an inch of a dog than miles of pedigree.

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:As varied as the leaves on a tree and as simple as whats for dinner?

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:43 AM

Greetings to you all;
I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.
My Handle is IronHorse and I hail from the state of Missouri where I live with my wife of 35 years on what we like to call our 40 acre wildlife reserve.
We love animals of all types and cater to the needs of our pets which run the gambit from Emu's to American Bison, and of course we share our home with our Border Collies, or perhaps it is them that are sharing it with us, we have never really made a hard decision about that paticular topic.
I recently found this site and have been keeping an eye on the various postings being made and decided to register as a member,(one can only lurk so long).
I've been seeing some very useful and helpful as well as informative information being shared by knowledgeable people.
I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing thoughts,topics and general chat.
Posted Image

#2 Carson Crazies

Carson Crazies

Mad Spaghetti Noodle Lady

• Registered Users
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

Welcome IronHorse! Glad you've come out of lurkdom to join us. Bison? Emus? Can I come stay with you guys?? :rolleyes:
Laura Carson
Nick, Linc, June, Pia, and Ginger
RIP Zippy (Jan 11, 1994 - April 9, 2012)

Crooks and Crazies

#3 Pipedream Farm

Pipedream Farm

The Geek & The Zoo Keeper

• Registered Users
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:11 AM

Welcome aboard IronHorse.

Mark
Mark & Renee
Gyp, Peg, Bette, Nell, BJ, Tally, & Eve

#4 IronHorse

IronHorse

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:As varied as the leaves on a tree and as simple as whats for dinner?

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:12 AM

Sure you can,just bring your own Tipi. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#5 ErinKate

ErinKate

• Registered Users
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:50 AM

Wow Bison!!! How fun must that be! Such beautiful creatures! I had the opportunity to adopt an orphaned baby buffalo at one time but passed. Didn't think it was quite fair to be in FL with our heat. (even though we do have ranches with them in the state) Also was never told HOW she became an orphan. Didn't like that part! lol Almost puppy mill-ish.
Wow I just went on and on! lol
What I meant to say was WELCOME!!!
ErinKate
BCx2

#6 Kitch

Kitch

• Registered Users
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:54 AM

Welcome!!
Kerry
Dublin the Good, RN, CGC, TDI
Limerick the Bold
Sir Casey GoodDog, CGC, NEBCR alum
http://viewfromtheba...h.blogspot.com/

Rest in Peace, Fluffy (Apr 19, 1997 - Feb 7, 2007)

"A dog will look at you as if to say, 'What do you want me to do for you? Iíll do anything for you.' Whether a dog can, in fact, do anything for you ... is another matter. The dog is willing."

ó Roy Blount, Jr.

Posted Image

#7 emmetteabrakai

emmetteabrakai

• Registered Users
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:My dogs of course, gardening, reading, music , & all things pertaining to country life.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

Welcome Iron Horse,
Sounds like you have your hands full Good to see you step forward and get aquainted. I live in Mo also. There are a few folks around near my travels that have Bison, and a handfull of Ratite fanciers too. Emus have such great faces.
How do you Border Collies and even other dogs deal with the birds?
Andrea D.
If you want to feel good do something good

#8 IronHorse

IronHorse

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

Oh the Border Collies would love nothing more then for me to open the gate to the Emu's.The dogs know better then to chase the Emu's along their fence however I do allow them to stay in their down position at the fence and give the birds the "eye" actually the Emu's show more aggression towards the dogs then vice versa and occasionally we still have a dispute at the fence but its more a mutual game then anything else when its feeding time for the birds. All in all they get along very well.And Thunderbolt will not allow any other animal close to what he considers "his" birds. As for the Bison well I keep them at a friends place while i am in the process of upgrading my fences.
Posted Image

#9 Miztiki

Miztiki

• Registered Users
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to the board! Just curious, do you raise your exotics as pets or food?

#10 CollieKat

CollieKat

• Registered Users
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Welcome to the group to you and your gang :rolleyes:

~Kat

#11 IronHorse

IronHorse

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

Well over the years it seems that the standard procedure on our property has always been that I get an idea about bringing some type of new animal onto the scene with the intention of raising it for either food or a byproduct and then all of a sudden my better half has dubbed the creature with a name. Now I must admit that I am a softy and I just can't bring myself to do step # 1 in the process of turning an animal into food when instead of it just being a "chicken" it is "lil baby gurty" or instead of just being a "rabbit" it is "doc" or "bugs".
I have long suspected that it is an ongoing plot by my wife to surround herself with critters and keep me constantly occupied in the art of building fences and pens as well as trips to the feed store.But Thunderbolt and I really don't mind the trip as we have our route pretty well figured out and it just happens to take us by the DQ where we can relax and do what a Border collie and a man do best, share a cone and eye the girls.
Actually back in the 90s I had gotten into the ratites because of the medicinal properties associated with the oil they produce as well as the meat, unfortunatly the ratite business just did not get a good foothold here in the states(its very hard to get Americans to try a new meat)and like so many others who had gotten into raising emu's when the price of feed went high I began scaling back my flock, now we only keep 2 female Emu's as pets "Nit & Wit" they produce about 50 or 60 eggs each year which are quite tasty and very healthy and my wife takes the blown shells and paints them.
The Bison are pets,although I do buy and consume Bison meat as well as Emu and Elk.
And yep the BC's love Elk as much as my wife and I.
Posted Image

#12 Miztiki

Miztiki

• Registered Users
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

That's why I asked. Mine is raw fed also. :rolleyes:

#13 IronHorse

IronHorse

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

?Let medicine be your food and food your medicine
has been the catch cry of dedicated healers down the ages".
Posted Image

#14 SQinAZ

SQinAZ

• Registered Users
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

Welcome! I fell in love with ThunderBolt from your pictures in the gallery. What a handsome boy!!!

It sounds like you and your wife are a match made in heaven...humoring each other's idiosyncrasies. *LOL*

#15 Eileen Stein

Eileen Stein

• Administrators
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

Hello IronHorse,

Are you by any chance connected with www.awesomebordercollies.com?

Support the ABCA Health & Education Foundation by using Amazon Smile

#16 BigD

BigD

• Registered Users
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:56 PM

Wow...3 litters...

ahem...that's ALOT of breeding. Looks like they make a good living off of their dogs.

I mean - A PUPPY for $1000! Good grief!

#17 BigD

BigD

• Registered Users
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

OK, I can't look at that site any more. It makes me SICK.

#18 IronHorse

IronHorse

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:11 PM

Yes I am connected with Awesome Border Collies
Posted Image

#19 IronHorse

IronHorse

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:15 PM

I developed the website for the person it belongs to.
Posted Image

#20 Annette Carter & the Borderbratz

Annette Carter & the Borderbratz

• Registered Users
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:23 PM

I know BigD but we can't ignore the problem. Things never get fixed that way. We can educate, clean up the messes as best we can and hope for the best.

Hopefully you don't have too many BCs in shelters or rescue on your lovely island It's a hard thing to deal with.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.