BC Boards

How safe is puppy jumping

I read on here somewhere about growth plates. Ziggy is nearly 6 months she is a Flying Wallendas. I don't promote the jumping but she enjoys flight. She will jump anywhere and leap off it she loves to be in high places. She will long jump after a butterfly or anything she wants surprises me how high and far she will leap. How safe is this sometimes she loses her place in the air and lands in many different positions. I think that's got to hurt and she gets up and off she goes. Looking out for her safety. .

Generally the rule of thumb is if the puppy is doing it themselves as a normal part of play, it is probably fine. That said, high ledges and other things she might not get into in a "natural" setting must be protected against.

What most people mean about puppies jumping and playing too hard is *asking* puppies to jump or walk a long way. When they decide to do it themselves, they will self regulate - stop and pant and have a drink and stretch out before chasing the next butterfly.

I personally don't do much by way of "get down from that tree, Bobby!" management of puppies and mostly let them fall off ledges and eat pine cones and stick their noses in anthills.

Current puppy with an injury notwithstanding (not related to any of the above), I have never had any problems that didn't solve themselves and teach a lesson.

Others, certainly, will have nearly opposite opinions :)

"How safe is puppy jumping" ? .... I was going to say as long as you don't land on them, you can jump to your heart's content... :blink:just make sure your vertical leap height is greater than the puppy's height :P

BAHAHAHAHA...

I know, that was absolutely no help at all...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.... <_<