BC Boards

Unable to use quote function

Hi Heather,

Recently if I click on the "quote" button, I just get sent to the reply screen with no quote showing. At least one other person has mentioned being unable to quote posts.

I also tried copying and pasting and couldn't do that either, but I sure would like to know why the quote button no longer opens a reply window with the text I want quoted in it.

Thanks!

Julie

That happens on my computer at work, but the quote function works just fine on both my Mac and laptop at home.

I honestly don't know what the deal is, but the problem has persisted on that one computer for several weeks.

Okay, I had an idea and tried it out this morning. When I opened the boards up in *Firefox* the quote function worked normally. When I opened it up in *Explorer* the quote function didn't work. Out of curiosity, what browsers are those of you who have posted here using?

I use both but had saved my link the BC Boards on IE so was just accessing it that way, until this morning when I tried it on Firefox. Imagine that. I'm curious now if the folks who are having problems are also using IE....

J.

Okay, I had an idea and tried it out this morning. When I opened the boards up in *Firefox* the quote function worked normally. When I opened it up in *Explorer* the quote function didn't work. Out of curiosity, what browsers are those of you who have posted here using?

I use both but had saved my link the BC Boards on IE so was just accessing it that way, until this morning when I tried it on Firefox. Imagine that. I'm curious now if the folks who are having problems are also using IE....

J.

I'm using IE.

J.

Actually, yes. I use IE on my computer at work (where the quote function is not working for me), but use Firefox on my laptop and Safari on my Mac (on both of which the quote function works).

I have no idea if this is related at all, but the "View New Content" has changed for me just this morning.

Before if I'd read a topic, it disappeared (unless a new post was added later, when it came back). Now it stays in the queue but turned a lighter blue.

It's not a concern, and nothing like your not being able to use the quote function, but I wonder if someone's working on the site and it could be connected somehow.

Btw, the quote function's still working for me, so if it is related, it still hasn't affected everyone.

A puzzler, for sure.

This may be unrelated, but there has been an issue with IE11 and some of the message boards. It's the same issue--quote function (well that is one of the issues). I'm not sure if there is a fix for it yet. I am still running IE10 until I'm sure a fix has come out (which it may or may not already have).

ETA: On second thought, I'm not sure there will even be a fix for it on Microsoft's end. Some have suggested running the site in compatibility view, but I'm just sticking with IE10 for now

Please forgive me if I'm talking rubbish but me and technology don't get along.

I think the loss of my quote function coincided with my husband installing Windows 8.1. It worked before on Windows 8.

(Hate them both.)

Could there be a connection?

Don't underestimate the depths of my ignorance.

With any software upgrade comes the potential for bugs** that may not have been worked out during beta testing and, particularly with operating system software, compatibility issues. For example, there was a problem with Win 8.1 in that some gamers were having mouse control issues, but I believe Microsoft has either promised or already released a patch for it. That doesn't mean that is your problem. I don't know. But there is a possible connection, ergo it is reasonable to suspect one.

**And of course, just to complicate my explanation, software upgrades also fix bugs as well (and most updates are expressly for that purpose--i.e. bugs and/or security vulnerabilities)

Hi, Folks:

Sorry I'm late to this thread I did some research, and I confirmed that there is an incompatibility with our bulletin board software (and other bulletin board software) and IE 11. So if you can downgrade from IE 11 (which appears to be generally buggy) back to IE 10, that would be a good thing to do. If you can't, the quote function should work fine on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or just about anywhere else.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...