BC Boards

Mind games and metal exercise

I have a female bc mix about 1yr old and would like to learn ways to mentally wear her out - she was in obedience classes @ Petsmart and learns things quickly but she can be very stubborn (like out many times are you gonna make to sit - that’s it I'm done no more sits) she passed the class but I wasn't impressed so I switch to a different training center, I took her to a evaluation to see what class level she should be in and she wouldn't do any of my commands so we have to start over with beginner and that fine but she is so easily bored- so gets lots of physical exercise but has no interest in balls or most other toys.

Thanks

I found Petsmart not to be of much help. It was great for socializing, but I love my private lessons. I like to hide and have Usher find me. Also hiding his dumbell and have him "take it" is a fun game for him and helps him with his obedience. With fetching, try rolling the tennis ball short distances in front of you in the house. Start off small and soon you will be working on long fetches. Make it fun for your dog. Teach her the names of the toys she does like. Then ask her to go get them in her toy box. Just some ideas to start with. Hope they work for you.

Dianne & Usher

My dog looooves "hide and seek." I have him sit or lie in one room, stay, and then hide his favorite toy or a rawhide. When I release him, he gets to go in the other room, and find the hidden thing. Buddy would play this game 8 hours a day if I let him. And sometimes it takes him 5 minutes to find the toy, so I can read my e-mail. :rolleyes: Plus, this helps make for a rock-solid sit and stay.

Good luck!

Mary

Clicker training is very fun. Usher is the first dog I've used it with. It's much quicker than your voice. I 2nd that one. But as far as just getting the dog interested in play. The hide and seek is fun, especially if you are the object. Also works on their "stay" and their recall while working their minds and having fun. You can click and treat when they find you!!!

Border Collies need alot of mental training, that's for sure. I would recommend agility. That uses both phisical and mental energy. It may take a while for your dog to learn it, but it's defently worth it. Plus, it isn't that pricy. You can buy some sprinkler pipes at home depot for only like 2.00 and make a few.

Border Collies need alot of mental training, that's for sure. I would recommend agility. That uses both phisical and mental energy. It may take a while for your dog to learn it, but it's defently worth it. Plus, it isn't that pricy. You can buy some sprinkler pipes at home depot for only like 2.00 and make a few.

We took JJ and Jake both to Petsmart for their obedience classes. We were lucky. The instructor not only knew bc's but she was a rescuer as well. That's why we drove 20 miles out of the way to go to that particular instructor.

JJ was the only bc in all his classes. In the basis class, he was the most disruptive until we realized he was bored. While DH was listening to the instructor, I was taking JJ thru different commands....figure 8 between my legs, give me right, give me left, back it up, say your prayers......anything that didn't take up much room.

You must have gone through the tricks course.That might have been fun. Usher was first place in everything (didn't deserve it) for the first obedience thing, but we went on to a private teacher. My regular one who led me through at least 3 dogs. I just love her. It's kind of nice to have a trainer that knows you and you can brush up on stuff. With Miss Lacey it took a year and a half for the hold the dumbell command- stubborn. Migraine, I had worked with her and it took 3 lessons to get her CD. She was ILP'd waaaaay back. Usher. Another story. Lets just say, we go every other week. LOL.

Ok I forgot to mention that I have another dog- a lab mix about 2yrs I tried the hide and seek game so I take Elmo (the toy) and go to my bedroom shut the door and hide it- open the door and say "find Elmo" and Hershey the lab start looking and Kayla the BC jumps up on the bed and waits until Hershey finds it than she steals it and brings it to me- I try another room and the same thing she waits until Hershey finds it and then steals and brings it to me - its so funny.

Any other games for 2 dog households?