BC Boards

50 bcs and aussie mixes confiscated from hoarders need help!

When will it ever stop. :wacko:

I don't know, it is so sad and it seems here in Indiana they have confiscated so many this past year it is staggering, even from the Amish which really surprised me that they would treat their animals so poorly, could not even tell what those were.

I saw a few of these pups and they were so cute, one was black and white and just as cute as could be, looked just like a full blooded bc.

...even from the Amish which really surprised me that they would treat their animals so poorly, could not even tell what those were...

Apparently you were not aware that, along with others, the Amish are often known for "puppy farming" on a large scale and with little to no consideration for animal well-being or good breeding. For many, dogs are without "souls", are just another tool (like so many of the Standardbred buggy horses you see on the road, underweight and quickly worn out with travel on the hard surfaces - so what, another is easy and cheap to take its place), are only as worthwhile as what they can produce in puppies, and discarded when they have outlived their most productive years.

Many Amish are excellent animal caretakers but many are not - it's the economics, which is what drives all puppy mills and those of similar, exploitive ilk.

the Amish which really surprised me that they would treat their animals so poorly

Sadly, the Amish are not known for their great treatment or compassion for animals. They take the biblical injunction to have dominion over the beasts of the earth literally. Animals are tools, a means to an end. They treat farm animals with enough care to get what they want out of them, work, food, etc., but no more. Amish buggy horses are worked very, very hard. Puppies are a means to make money, plain and simple (pun on plain folk intended) so dogs often get no more care than necessary to produce the puppies they can sell.

It's really, really sad, and I won't even get into how perverse an interpretation of the bible it is.

Do you know if they need transport help? I'm not ready to take on a foster but I am in SW lower MI and could help transport if they had foster homes available up here.

I really do not know at this point. They just got them and are so over crowded and were trying to get organized. They are going to have a big adoption fair at the State Fairgrounds soon and were hoping if they could get them fostered maybe they could get them all adopted then. They know the puppies are going to go very quickly without doubt. If you go to the page I indicated above I believe you can contact them and ask though. I am on the other side of Indianapolis right now and cannot get over there today. I grew up in Hendricks County but now live east of the city of Indianapolis.

This is the Humane Society who actually took them in info, the above is someone at a rescue helping them with it. I think you can message them or call them if you are interested in helping ;) Thanks so much for offering.

http://hendrickscountyhumanesociety.org/

I guess I just assumed that being Godly they would take care of God's creatures!! It was so sickening to see those dogs. I guess I am too kindhearted or something, I couldn't do that to my worst enemy more or less something that gives unconditional love and loyalty.

They are going to have a big adoption fair at the State Fairgrounds soon and were hoping if they could get them fostered maybe they could get them all adopted then.

If these dogs are as shut down as the FB page suggests, this is a really.bad.idea.

I've seen too may dogs from puppy mill and hoarding situations to know that they need serious rehab time with people who know what they're doing. It can take many months, even years, for them to be at a stage where they'll be ready for adoption to anyone other than very experienced people.

I really hope that they don't screw these dogs up even more in a misguided attempt to help them.

Yes, I agree that an open adoption (at the Fairgrounds) is a VERY BAD idea for the shut-down dogs. The puppies may be OK, but my guess is that someone who feels sorry for the dogs and adopts one of the shut-down dogs may not realize that it takes more than a warm bed, food and some petting for such a dog to even begin to come out of their shell. For an adopter willing to educate themselves and put in the work, rehabilitation will be very rewarding, but I would worry that many would end up in rescue again.

If these dogs are as shut down as the FB page suggests, this is a really.bad.idea.

Maybe you can message them and let them know that? I don't know much about fostering. I tried to get my husband to let me do it after we lost our 2 dogs but he was resistant, he was really devastated at losing our last 2. Here is the lady's page from the actual humane society site that is actually over taking them in I believe. https://www.facebook.com/sheryl.sackett and here is the actual humane society page http://hendrickscountyhumanesociety.org/ I just really felt for these dogs and knew there were people on this site that had done the fostering and rescue and knew much more about it than I did. I think Indiana must be cracking down because I have seen so many of these over the last year year but usually small dogs, toys and such. I have not seen it for the bigger dogs like these before.

I've seen too may dogs from puppy mill and hoarding situations to know that they need serious rehab time with people who know what they're doing. It can take many months, even years, for them to be at a stage where they'll be ready for adoption to anyone other than very experienced people.

I really hope that they don't screw these dogs up even more in a misguided attempt to help them.

I guess I just assumed that being Godly they would take care of God's creatures!! It was so sickening to see those dogs. I guess I am too kindhearted or something, I couldn't do that to my worst enemy more or less something that gives unconditional love and loyalty.

Some of the worst millers/breeders/bybs either wave the flag and/or spout religion. Living a Christ-like life is something else entirely.

I have a policy. If someone spouts their religion, striving to bring it in unrelated conversations, run. If someone spouts their lack of religion, they're actually probably okay, if more likely to be loud and whatnot.

I have a half-assed theory that this is because I live in a religious area: if you know that you can exploit people by claiming godliness. Maybe people who go the opposite way feel they have to prove themselves more by deeds (or can only really say it if they've already done so), at least here.

I have a policy. If someone spouts their religion, striving to bring it in unrelated conversations, run. If someone spouts their lack of religion, they're actually probably okay, if more likely to be loud and whatnot.

I have a half-assed theory that this is because I live in a religious area: if you know that you can exploit people by claiming godliness. Maybe people who go the opposite way feel they have to prove themselves more by deeds (or can only really say it if they've already done so), at least here.

I am not sure i understand this post. I was not trying to bring religion into this, I was just trying to get it posted that there are a lot of dogs that need rehoming. The dogs are the important thing here to me.

I don't think simba was referring to you, but rather to the Amish. Anyways, unfortunately I'm way up in Canada, too far away to do much, but I'll keep an eye on this and see if there's anything I can do. These kinds of things just baffle me.

Sorry, I was responding to Sue R's comment, going slightly off-topic. No offence intended.

I also want to clarify that I don't mean religious people are more likely to be like that- just a certain type of people who say, loudly, that they are religious (and say it because they have a good pragmatic reason to do so.)

Do you know if they need transport help? I'm not ready to take on a foster but I am in SW lower MI and could help transport if they had foster homes available up here.

Hi Mara,

The rescue group that I work with, MWBCR, is possibly taking some of these dogs. If I happen to know of a transport that you may be able to help with, I will shoot you a PM.

Thanks!

My comments were in reply to another post and did lead off-topic, for which I apologize. What is said here is similar to my thoughts that oftentimes it seems that people that *trumpet* their religious or patriotic or similar feelings seem to be using that as a marketing tool. People who *live* their faith in God, country, etc., let their actions speak volumes instead.

Sorry, I was responding to Sue R's comment, going slightly off-topic. No offence intended.

I also want to clarify that I don't mean religious people are more likely to be like that- just a certain type of people who say, loudly, that they are religious (and say it because they have a good pragmatic reason to do so.)

I don't think simba was referring to you, but rather to the Amish. Anyways, unfortunately I'm way up in Canada, too far away to do much, but I'll keep an eye on this and see if there's anything I can do. These kinds of things just baffle me.

It baffles me too. I love my pets but would not want to take on more than I think I can financially handle to give them a proper life and I could not mistreat anything let alone something that gives love unconditionally like a dog. I believe they have 2 rescues involved now but I did talk to one lady over one of them and she said that a lot of the dogs would need a great deal of work probably to be totally rehabbed and ready to be adopted so I believe they were working on getting the proper fosters to do this.

Hi Mara,

The rescue group that I work with, MWBCR, is possibly taking some of these dogs. If I happen to know of a transport that you may be able to help with, I will shoot you a PM.

Thanks!

Thank you so much, I am so glad to know that these dogs are being sent out to where they need to be.

My comments were in reply to another post and did lead off-topic, for which I apologize. What is said here is similar to my thoughts that oftentimes it seems that people that *trumpet* their religious or patriotic or similar feelings seem to be using that as a marketing tool. People who *live* their faith in God, country, etc., let their actions speak volumes instead.

Not a problem, the dogs are being tended to thank goodness. It was just such a great number and I know the county that took them in is starting to get a very good number of people and organizations that help them regularly but they are still quite small themselves. I guess I did probably start it with my bad assumption and statement. I guess i would like to believe that people are good but we are seeing so much mistreatment in this state lately it is so disheartening. My daughter lives in a town where some juveniles have hurt more than 30 cats but no one will speak up who is doing it because they are juvenile!!! Juvenile delinquents that need to answer to the consequences of what they have done...

Just an update, it seems they are slowly getting adopted or fostered through a rescue group and getting the care they need. Here are a few pictures of the ones they are still advertising. I can hardly stand looking at them, i want to go get one so bad, if only my husband would agree ;(

https://www.facebook.com/MistyEyes.org/photos/pcb.659200094148104/659199890814791/?type=1&theater I love that little Pepee. That face is so adorable.

https://www.facebook.com/MistyEyes.org/photos/pcb.658017334266380/658016990933081/?type=1&theater The little black and white one or the white headed one with black on its back is just too adorable. I don't know being that white if it would need checked to see if it could be blind or deaf.

These are not all the bcs or bc mixes that were taken in as a lot have gone to foster or rescues but there are several on there. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151879693825787.1073741825.257802110786&type=1

And it has been stated that if you wish to adopt them that they will need to go to foster first and be rehabbed, so thank goodness that will happen before being given to people who may not know how to handle how scared these animals are ;)

• 3 months later...

I've seen more than one devoted novice rescuer rehab a dog with the help of an experienced coach. Fortunately we have several such wonderful people at our local kennel club. It takes patience but I wouldn't just assume the worst.

The BC I currently run in agility was four months old when I took him. The breeder had four, four month old males, and was desperately looking for homes. Most went to farms. He was scared of everything. Not interested in toys, low prey drive. As a trainer I was stumped. He's now nine, an agility champion, has more titles than I had ever dreamed of having on a dog, and because of his gentle temperament has many fans. Patience, perseverance and love will get you there.