BC Boards

Tucker--2 yo, M, b/w, active BC/collie mix--Bowling Green, KY

A friend and I are co-fostering handsome Tucker and are actively seeking a home for him. He was adopted from a local shelter in January 2013 and transported out of state to that adopter; however, the placement did not work out, so he found his way back to Kentucky in May 2013. He has been fostered either in Jane's home or mine since then, and I would be happy to answer questions anyone has about him.

I have included a couple of photos in this post and a link to Jane's photo album for him below.

Here is his bio:

Tucker is a very handsome, energetic, and eager to please border collie/rough collie mix. Tucker is house trained, crate trained and sleeps quietly through the night in or out of the crate, patiently waiting for you to let him out in the morning. He has been completely trustworthy when left loose at night. He does like to check out what’s on the counter and “assist” you with your meal preparation, but has not attempted to steal any tasty tidbits.

Tucker loves attention from people and has met adults and children calmly and politely. He knows some commands and will sit nicely for a treat or his food. We are working on stay and down and he will come when you whistle. He has discovered that splashing in water and chasing the waves on the lake are great fun, although he doesn’t think too much of swimming yet!

Tucker enjoys long walks but does pull on leash a bit and will need further practice on walking nicely with his people. He loves to play with toys of all kinds, sometimes stealing the toy off the coffee table to run joyously around looking for someone to play with him. He can jump about 3 feet straight up in the air!

He gets along well with just about every dog he meets, but can be a bit overwhelming for older or shy dogs and is learning to understand when the other dog is not interested in playing. Tucker loves to wrestle and play tug or chase with the other dogs in his foster family and thoroughly enjoyed his visit to the dog park.

Tucker at times will get over-excited when playing, using his mouth to get your attention. He also is overstimulated by other dogs going by the house and can be startled when you approach him to quiet him down. He is learning these behaviors are not appropriate and his new family must continue to enforce good behavior.

Tucker is about 2 years old and at about 50 pounds he could stand to gain a few more. Tucker is neutered, up to date on shots, on heartworm preventive and micro chipped. Because of his energy level and his herding breed traits, we would recommend him to a family with no children or older children and prior experience with the breed. He would do well as an only dog or with another dog of similar size and personality. He is fostered in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Please contact Jane at augiehills@yahoo.com or Angie at angela_i_jones@yahoo.com if you are interested in Tucker.

Video of Tucker playing tug with his foster sister, Macy:
. (Several more videos available, but this is already a long post. :) )
Photo album Jane has compiled of Tucker at her house: http://hillspicturegallery.shutterfly.com/pictures/105 .

post-6923-0-95786500-1370384785_thumb.jpg

post-6923-0-62926100-1370384819_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Jan, for the good wishes! Tucker is a ton of fun to play with and also learns quickly, so I hope we can find a home that appreciates those features and helps him continue to develop into a wonderful companion.

• 3 weeks later...

After turning down one application and received a few more inquiries that were also not good fits for Tucker, we have an application that seems very promising! I really hope this works out for Tucker to, after six months of searching, find a good, permanent home of his own!

Thanks for the good thoughts, rlwzgd! Tucker could use them, as the potential adopter who was so gung-ho when we talked to him on Thursday and Friday suddenly cooled off over the weekend after we had completed all the reference checks and decided to approve his application. <sigh>

So we are back to networking Tucker out some more. Jane started a Facebook page for him to, we hope, get him some more visibility.

Oh no! That's terrible... But if the lady wasn't committed, she isn't the right one for him. Poor guy though. Looking at his beautiful face, I'm *almost* tempted (ok, I'm very tempted, but my hubs would disown me) to see if he'd work out with my guy and my mom's gal... Guess that's ok, though... Guys come and go ;) is he into any job yet (agility, flyball, etc)?

Rebecca

Thanks for your support of Tucker, Rebecca! :) He has so much potential that I know he would thrive in the right home.

Unfortunately, neither Jane nor I have the right home: we ended up fostering him to keep him from returning to the shelter after he'd been in homes for a few months, but we have lazy pets, and neither of us trains seriously or competes in anything. We have been working with him consistently on manners and basic commands (sit, stay, shake, fetch, wait, and walking on leash) and on his interactions with dogs and people. He learns quickly and really seems to enjoy learning.

I also ordered him some discs, which should arrive today: he is great at catching toys and is a fetching machine. He returned to Jane's house yesterday because DH and I have to be gone part of this week, but I will forward his discs to her ASAP so she can try those with him.

P.S. Jane said she would get some new pictures of Tucker uploaded to his Facebook page soon. She lives on a lake, so he has a lot of opportunities for fun experiences there, from chasing waves to taking boat rides. :)

Thanks for inquiring--and for your good wishes for Tucker!

We are processing an application, and Tucker has been enjoying rides on Barren River Lake, now that he is back in Jane's care. Jane has also been trying out his new discs with Tucker (she said he seems a natural). :) We have both had unexpectedly crazy weeks, though, in our non-Tucker lives, so things are moving a little more slowly than we'd planned.

Just a quick update: Tucker's potential adopter I referenced above decided to withdraw her application.

Although we do have two more recent applications to process, we still encourage anyone who thinks he or she would be an especially good fit for Tucker to be in touch with either Jane or me. He would love to find his permanent home soon!

what an awesome dog! Tucker seems like the perfect dog that would fit right in to most peoples households/life styles. He's also one of the most beautiful looking dogs I've ever seen. If I lived in KY I'd find a way to make room for a third dog.

Thanks for the compliments to Tucker! :) Although I am a little bit biased, given all our time together, I do agree that he is quite stunning in looks.

And Tucker also loves to be with both people and animals...he is determined to make my beagle, Huckleberry, his BFF, but Huckleberry is still not convinced. :D

Finally, as this picture shows, he is the perfect "assistant" for folks who work at home and need help operating their laptops efficiently. :lol:

IMG_1231.jpg