BC Boards

Cataracts

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with cataracts in their border collie.

My brand new foster boy, Alex, has a cataract. He has eye drops to put in every day and he doesn't mind at all. He is 5.5 years old.

I'll make an appt for my regular vet and get her opinion but is there such a thing as cataract surgery for dogs?

Here is a pic

DSC07830.jpg

Thanks!

Kathy

www.sugarbushfarm.net

My Augie had cataracts. We kept everything under control with the eye drops. The eye drops were very expensive so I ended up mail-ordering them from a Canadian pharmacy at a much reduced price. Surgery is an option if the cataracts are more severe, but of course surgery is expensive too. Good luck.

Yes, there is surgery and it is better if it is done sooner rather than later. E-mail me if that is an option you want to pursue since I could probably help out with getting him in and getting the surgery taken care of.

I would take him to an veterinary opthalmologist for treatment options. There is surgery available and increasing his site could greatly enhance the quality of his life if the cataract is severe enough.

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter.