BC Boards

Flyball

It was definitely interesting last night. A bit frustrating for me because Dexter likes to bark when he sees other dogs moving while I am trying to keep him in a sit. He is also very distracted by the other dogs....can't even get him to focus on me with food. I think I have a great instructor though. Hopefully the more we do it the less distracted he will become.

There are tons of focus exercises out there. What works for you and your dog depends on a number of things. It's best to work with someone in person, so they can watch the dynamics of your interactions.

But in general, play with your dog. :-) Be fun, find toy(s) he likes and use those to interact with him. Build value in certain toys. Tug works great for this. Tug/play with him at home first, then in the backyard, then work other places like the park, on the sidewalk in front of your house, pretty much anywhere you take him. Your goal is to get him to play/interact with you in increasingly distracting environments and to eventually work up to the mother of all distracting environments - the flyball tournament!

Also, play chase games where he chases you down for the toy/tug. You can do this by yourself or with the help of someone holding him for a retrained recall. Show him the toy, then run away inviting him to chase you down to get the toy and play with you (make sure to hold onto toy!).

The flyballers you're training with should be able to show you all of this. Restrained recalls are a key component of this sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the lessons over? What was your overall impression? Our girl Dakota is 1-2 yrs old and still very new to us so I don't think we'd do this immediately but the way she runs and jumps over things in the dog park I think eventually she might love flyball. There's a group in Denver near us that offers very beginner lessons - they say for all age/ability levels. Dakota is pretty good on a recall and will sit well (but will get distracted). I'm interested in how you felt about Dexter doing the flyball lessons while still having some distraction issues as well.

Lessons are not over yet.....tonight will be lesson 4 of 8. We are in beginner lessons..enclosed area and on leash. As far as the distraction issues I think I was a bit frustrated at first, but my trainer gave me good tips of how to work on it....we are still working on it...by playing the look at me game and to engage him in exercises quickly so he doesn't have time to focus in on the other dogs. I constantly try to keep him focused on me...I think I look like a big goofball when I am trying to do this....waving his tug, trying to keep my voice excited. He gets better and better each time we go. Which group in Denver did you look at? What part of Denver are you in? I am working with Phantom Flyers.

Are the lessons over? What was your overall impression? Our girl Dakota is 1-2 yrs old and still very new to us so I don't think we'd do this immediately but the way she runs and jumps over things in the dog park I think eventually she might love flyball. There's a group in Denver near us that offers very beginner lessons - they say for all age/ability levels. Dakota is pretty good on a recall and will sit well (but will get distracted). I'm interested in how you felt about Dexter doing the flyball lessons while still having some distraction issues as well.

I constantly try to keep him focused on me...I think I look like a big goofball when I am trying to do this....waving his tug, trying to keep my voice excited. He gets better and better each time we go.

GOOD FOR YOU. :D This is one of the biggest issues with people new to any dog sport -- they are so concerned about "looking stupid" in front of everyone and fail to do what their dog NEEDS. It is why there are so many disconnected & disinterested dogs with frustrated handlers.

So keep it up. Good job! :)

Lessons are not over yet.....tonight will be lesson 4 of 8. We are in beginner lessons..enclosed area and on leash. As far as the distraction issues I think I was a bit frustrated at first, but my trainer gave me good tips of how to work on it....we are still working on it...by playing the look at me game and to engage him in exercises quickly so he doesn't have time to focus in on the other dogs. I constantly try to keep him focused on me...I think I look like a big goofball when I am trying to do this....waving his tug, trying to keep my voice excited. He gets better and better each time we go. Which group in Denver did you look at? What part of Denver are you in? I am working with Phantom Flyers.

We are in Broomfield and the group I was looking at is RUFF Flyball Club. http://www.coloradoflyball.org/

I'm thinking we may give it a try in the late Summer or early Fall after Dakota has had a longer time getting used to us as her new home and owners. It seems like it would be so fun for the dogs (and us!).

It is fun! I think it has increased the closeness of my relationship with Dexter. I think there is a tournament coming up soon...you should go and watch.

Is that the RUFF in the Rockies tournament at Adams Co Fairgrounds? We will try and go. I showed my 7-yr-old son videos of flyball yesterday and he thought it was awesome. He said, "Can Dakota try that?!?"

There is a web page for our local region (Colorado, Wyoming & New Mexico) at www.region19flyball.com. There is a schedule of upcoming tournaments, including the RUFF tournament June 8-10. I hope you will both come out. It's a fun tournament and most local clubs are usually entered. It'll give you a good feel for the sport.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...