BC Boards

Zoey (2004?-2014)

Izzysdad

We laid Zoey to rest today. Zoey was a Swafford dog from Tenn. Those that remember that case border collies were sent to different rescue's around the country and we were lucky to adopt her.

We brought her home and she spent two solid weeks on the couch too scared to move. I sat with her for hours just being with her and petting her.She had every right not to trust humans again especially men. She put her trust in me and I in her. Over time she would follow me everywhere and I will miss that the most. It became a running joke in the house. If I left DW in the room Zoey would stay even I just went to the kitchen there she was.

She was also one of the toughest dogs I ever met. We have an old house and our stairs to the bedrooms are quite steep. She learned how to go up the stairs but down was always an issue. Until we fixed the stairs with carpet she would sometimes slide down the last few and crash into the wall. EVERYTIME she got up and walked away. (we fixed them quickly don't worry).

She was quirky, she was VERY content to simply lay in a spot, preferably a corner and watch the world around her. She had free access to the backyard but would only explore at night or early morning. Car rides were a different matter, if the collar came out she was ready for whatever came her way! The pond was a favorite spot running through the fields and splashing in the water.

We all know that the lives of these dogs are all too short but we only had 4 years with her. I sure hope we gave her the best 4 years.

She will be missed and loved forever.

I am very sorry for your loss. Having had my own Swafford dog (Ody) for just over three years, I empathize with your particular feeling that your time with Zoey was too short. I hope you can take comfort in remembering the wonderful life you provided for her when she needed it most.

Four years of heaven after a bad life? I'd take it any day. So wonderful of you to take in an animal that really needed help. So kind of you to be understanding and patient while you showed her not all people were bad.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Four years well spent. Rest in peace Zoey.

Godspeed Zoey. She knew she was well loved and I'm sure those last four wonderful years restored her faith in humans. In turn she gave you four years of love and devotion. Bless you for letting her know that life could be so sweet. I hope that in time your grief will give way to joyful memories of her. My prayers for you and your family. Till you all are reunited....

So sorry to hear this, Izzysdad. I met several of the Swafford dogs from that confiscation and all I can say is that no animal should ever have had to endure what they did. Thank you so very much for giving Zoey a great home and the opportunity to know what it was like to be loved and well cared for for what must have been 4 glorious years for her.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

roxanne

Zoey was so lucky to have found love in those four years. She will be waiting at the Bridge for the special people who loved her no matter how quirky she may have been. It takes special people to give their lives to those dogs who have been so terribly mistreated. Thank you for being special

Run free at the Bridge Zoey....run free........