BC Boards

Puppy Food

Hello, I have a 4 Month old border collie puppy who weighs about 16 lbs(7.26kg) and is about 15"-16" tall. I've been feeding him Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula(Bison & Venison). I don't want him to develop Hip Dysplasia later on, so I would like to know if this is a good dog food to be feeding him right now. Also, does he have the normal weight and height for his age? I was told he'll probably weigh 35-40lbs(15.88kgs-18.2kgs) when he's fully grown. Is this about right based on his current weight? Ty :)

Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum

Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed

Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Ingredients

Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

A lot of people feed TOTW. It's one of the top foods. I also have a 4 month old BC. Not sure what he weighs now but he was 16.5lbs a couple weeks ago at the vet. I feed him Acana Grasslands with a little Fromm (it's a local food) to cut the meat protein since his poops were a little on the soft side.

As for being concerned about hip dysplasia, keep his weight healthy, dont let him do a lot jumping off of things which is also bad for their elbows. We're his parents checked? I'm sure poor nutrition plays a role but from what I understand hip displaysia is passed down.

I have a 9 week old that I have started on TOTW. The vet highly recommended it. My boy weighs 11.5 lbs, but he is a solid boy. he is bigger than my other boy at that age. each dog can be so different. I would look at the sire and any siblings to see their weight. I am sure he is fine.

My pup is going on 4 months. Not sure of her weight (no scale and haven't been to the vet yet) she is solid and doing well on TOTW salmon version, although I just switched to the bison version. I switch between flavors almost every bag with salmon being our mainstay.

My puppy is on it as is my senior and they are both doing wonderful.

I've never used puppy food, although I'm transitioning slowly because this pup came on diamond puppy and I don't want to upset her digestive system. So I'm taking more than 2 weeks to get her switched over.

I've had bad luck with TOTW, got a bad bag once that made my dogs sick. Got another bag that smelled weird, so I took it back right away. Ever since then I've steered clear of it.

If you're worried about HD, read this recently published article about how to help pups avoid developing it:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120326112842.htm

I regularly feed TOTW as part of my rotation and my dogs all do well on it -- as do the foster puppies who come through and also eat it. I haven't ever had a problem with a bad bag.

TOTW is considered an "All Life Stages" diet and is appropriate for dogs of any age.

I stopped feeding puppy food a long time ago and instead stick with high quality grain free diets for all of my dogs.

TOTW is considered an "All Life Stages" diet and is appropriate for dogs of any age.

Actually, most of them are not.

"AAFCO Statement

Taste of the Wild® Pacific Stream Canine® Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance."

"Taste of the Wild® High Prairie Canine® Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance."

"Taste of the Wild® Wetlands Canine® Formula with Roasted Fowl is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance."

TOTW makes a puppy food. Not sure the difference between that and the regular.

Mine are on TOTW, too. I started feeling they weren't doing as well on it and was going to switch. But, a friend suggested I just switch formulas, after them being on the fowl version for so long. We switched to the bison/venison a few weeks ago and so far, so good.

I switched last winter to a grain free but cheaper food. All the dogs coats looked horrid within 2 months and Jazz was going down hill (might not of been related to food) I went back to TOTW and they all improved right away. I've been taking my time switching from diamond puppy to all TOTW with Faye. We're finally over the hump and she's getting more TOTW than puppy food now. She went from ginormous poos to reg. size. Don't konw what that means except that she's using more of what's in the TOTW instead of pooping it out.