BC Boards

Chewing on door frame

I have a 6 year old female BC who we adopted in January of this year. She had been in 1 home for 5 years, then adopted for 3 months (where she was attacked by other female dogs) and then to us. She had a great foster home in between the adoptions. She is settling in with our 12 y.o. male chow/collie mix (who just wants to hang out on the couch) and our 2 year old BC mix. In the recent months, however, she has started to chew the door frames of 2 certain doors in the house. The first time it happened it was because a friend came to do some electrical work in the downstairs and she heard him but could not get downstairs to see him..so she chewed that door. Now, when she gets excited, she will walk by one of the doors and just bit at the door frame...we rarely see her doing it so correction is difficult. She has lots of toys and good chew things scattered around the house for distraction. We tried Bitter Apple on the wood but made no difference. She has been to vet and is healthy. Any suggestions?

We tried Bitter Apple on the wood but made no difference.

DId you spray any of the bitter apple in her mouth, or just on the wood? Bitter Apple is like tequila - until you have a horribly bad experience, it's not enough to really warn you away. Spray a *small* amount directly into her mouth, then liberally spray the wood until it is wet and that should help as a temporary fix.

Is she getting enough mental and physical exercise? Some dogs will get destructive when they are bored, even if they have been out for a run.

Two words: HOT SAUCE! The hottest you can get. None of that mamby pamby Taco Bell stuff. It was the only thing that saved our house!

I think Gypsy's just weird... but when she was a puppy I needed to find something she didn't like the taste of, so I tried giving her a bit of "XXX Inferno" hot sauce that my dad uses.. 2 drops will make a huge pot of chili spicier than you can imagine! I gave her a drop, she ate it, and then with tears in her eyes came back looking for more. So before you try hot sauce make sure your dog doesn't actually LIKE it! :rolleyes:

DId you spray any of the bitter apple in her mouth, or just on the wood? Bitter Apple is like tequila - until you have a horribly bad experience, it's not enough to really warn you away. Spray a *small* amount directly into her mouth, then liberally spray the wood until it is wet and that should help as a temporary fix.

Is she getting enough mental and physical exercise? Some dogs will get destructive when they are bored, even if they have been out for a run.

I believe that she gets enough mental/physical exercise. The wood biting seems to occur when she gets excited in the house - if she hears some strange noises or even if she is really happy. She walks by and takes a bite on the wood - other times she will grab a toy and play with it.

Aden has gnawed on the door frame once in my kitchen and the bottom of one of my cabinets. Bitter apple nipped that little problem right in the bud. A tiny spray to the mouth then a couple sprays to the wood, she's never done it again (it's been months).