BC Boards

Suggestions on puppy food

Ok...so I am just curious what y'all feed you wee BC pups. Rose is 15 wks. now, and I am feeding her Orijen Puppy,Kibble. It is a good quality food and she is doing well on it, but .... her stools are not a firm as I would like to see.

Any other suggestions? cost is not a problem as this is pretty darn costly as it is, and we feed my 8 y/o BC Phoenix boy and our 6 y/o Terrier, Bree Acana, which they do great on.

I have heard some people say they do not feed puppy at all? and if they do the stop earlier than 1 yr, which seems to be the standard.

I would love some feedback and suggestions on both food and how long you feed puppy food or not?

Thanks JoeAnne, Phoenix, Bree and Rose

post-3985-0-35330500-1375919668_thumb.jpg

Joe Anne - I don't feed puppy food. I think a good quality adult food is sufficient for good growth and not encouraging growth that is too fast. A lot of people here feel the same way, I know.

Good luck with her! She's a cutie! I'm sure others will give good advice. I know this has been a popular topic - have you tried a search?

I don't feed puppy food, and I wouldn't feed a puppy a kibble as high in protein as Orijen. JMO.

My pup is doing well on one of the two relatively low-protein versions of Taste of the Wild (he started on it when I brought him home at 8 weeks; his breeder already had him on an adult kibble). I supplement it with a dollop of nonfat plain yogurt, Fortiflora (a probiotic) once a day, and Grizzly Salmon Oil once a day. He's also getting raw frozen chicken wings once a week.

The major thing is to keep puppies lean. Roly-poly pups = enhanced risk of joint issues

I changed my pup to adult food at about 4-5 months of age on the advice of his breeder.

I have fed a bag of adult Orijen to both adult dogs, but while the dogs did fine (they seem to do fine on whatever food I use), I did not like the fact that their poops were huge, and they smelled nasty. One bag was enough. If I am going to pay that price for a bag of food, I don't want most of it coming out the other end.

Jovi

I feed puppy food pretty much just because it is easier for them to chew as the bites are smaller. I'd really like to go to a raw food diet but it is too expensive for me. How is a puppy supposed to look weight wise? I've always thought roly-poly were good.

Thanks all... I have heard of Taste of the Wild as far as a good quality food, I think I will look in to that.

Question, (Alchemist)

...when you say you won't feed a pup a high protein food like Orijen, what percent do you choose, and can you please explain why? does protein encourage to fast growth of bones? Rose is a good weight, not rolly polly at all. she is very thin but looks right for a growing puppy. My main concern right now is her stools are too soft.

I think I will go ahead and start adult food at the very least about 5-6 months, if not sooner. Still have a months worth of puppy food. Maybe I will go ahead and get adult and mix the 2?

again thanks...and I am still open for any other recommendations or what anyone else feeds their puppies.

I used to feed Taste of the Wild, then switched to Wellness, but I've had the best results just feeding a raw food diet. http://rawfed.com But really, the best food is whatever your dog does best on.

Personally after I started feeding a raw diet, the poops are much cleaner, her fur has grown out and pretty much cleans itself (!!) without any greasy feel, her itching is much less frequent and her skin is much nicer, and finally, her eyes much clearer. She also doesn't seem to mope around nearly as much. Some people also feed raw in addition to kibble. I'd highly recommend it, though some people aren't too keen on handling raw food at their meal times. (I just pre-package portions about once every two weeks and stick them in individual ziplocks in the freezer. No biggie.)

Either way, it's 100% worth looking into. People are always raving about the benefits. In fact, I switched my mom's dog over (she's a blue tricolor chihuahua with a horrible case of color-dilution alopecia, a genetic condition affecting dilute-colored dogs) after having almost NO hair and horrible scabbing//chewing her entire life, and lo and behold, after three months she has more hair than ever and no longer has a horrible yeasty smell, nor does she have scabbing. Of course, her hair won't ever be as full as a normal genetically-sound dog, but she sure seems happier.

Anyway, whatever you choose, I hope your puppums thrives. :)

Thanks all... I have heard of Taste of the Wild as far as a good quality food, I think I will look in to that.

Question, (Alchemist)

...when you say you won't feed a pup a high protein food like Orijen, what percent do you choose, and can you please explain why? does protein encourage to fast growth of bones? Rose is a good weight, not rolly polly at all. she is very thin but looks right for a growing puppy. My main concern right now is her stools are too soft.

I think I will go ahead and start adult food at the very least about 5-6 months, if not sooner. Still have a months worth of puppy food. Maybe I will go ahead and get adult and mix the 2?

again thanks...and I am still open for any other recommendations or what anyone else feeds their puppies.

The two lower-protein formulations of TOTW (Pacific Stream; fish protein) and Sierra Mountain (lamb protein) both contain 25% protein, according to their website. I wouldn't go any higher than that. I usually try to alternate these two flavors. I don't use either of the two higher-protein formulations (Wetlands or High Prairie), both of which contain 32% protein.

I know some people switched away from TOTW a year ago when they issued a recall, and I almost did as well. The recall was for salmonella, though, which is something dogs apparently don't contract. My adult dog has done really well on TOTW, and I'd previously had problems with loose stools with him, so I stuck with it. I just make a practice of washing my hands after I feed the dogs.

I've been told by several vets (including an ortho vet) and both dogs' breeders that it's a bad idea to feed puppies a diet that's high in protein because it fosters faster growth, which can lead to joint problems later on. (As can overweight).

If your pup has loose stools, the first thing I'd do is have a fecal analysis done. I'd also add a probiotic to the diet. I've been told that if you give puppies a daily probiotic for the first year, it boosts their immune systems. Puppies put EVERYTHING in their mouths and it's not unusual for them to pick up parasites. My puppy had a positive fecal at eight weeks, a negative one at his next vet visit, and a positive one at his four-month visit. Sometimes the parasite can be tricky to diagnose - my understanding is that there are a lot of false negatives with Giardia, and you might try a round of Panacur to see if this makes a difference.

If the fecal is consistently negative, and stools are still loose, you could try adding a dollop of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) to his diet. But I'd want to rule out parasites first. We did the pumpkin route with my adult dog when he was a pup, and it helped, but nowhere near as much as treating him with Panacur did. (And this was after several negative fecal analyses). Panacur is safe enough you can even give it to pregnant bitches, and you don't need a prescription to purchase it.

I wouldn't wait until 5-6 months to start your dog on adult food, BTW. Duncan's breeder recommended starting on adult food at/before 4 months, and Ross's breeder had already started the pups on adult food by 8 weeks. The common age for onset of OCD (one form of joint issue) is ~ 5 to 9 months. If you have leftover puppy kibble, your local shelter might accept it. For a puppy, I'd switch foods gradually, mixing the two over the course of five days or a week.

How is Rose's behavior? If hers is similar to my border collie at four months to about a year, she will pass through a wild-child stage. Usually takes patience, good training skills and judicious use of the crate. You may be lucky. But that is another topic.

Foods high in protein can exacerbate existing behavior issues in dogs. I'm told it is a little like feeding a campfire with rocket fuel. I would go easy on the protein for all the reasons given above, and to help her through the "who-are-you-and-and-where-is-my-puppy?" phase. I have been mixing two brands of kibble to get the percentages of protein and other ingredients I like. In any event, protein moderation is something to consider, especially for pups. -- Best wishes, TEC

I feed a raw diet and puppies eat exactly what the adult dogs do.

Every time I dog sit kibble fed dogs, I'm always amazed at the volume and smell of the stools! Even from dogs getting high quality kibble. Gross!

That alone is enough to keep me feeding raw. And I love the clean teeth and shiny coats. And (knock on wood) I've had very few health problems since I started, um, about 13 years ago.

I feed Fromm. Solid small unstinky stools from all 3 of my dogs and also my new foster dog.

Its not all kibble that causes stool problems. It depends on the dog and the food.

I should also add I feed all of my dogs probiotics, digestive enzymes, and fish oil daily.

I feed high quality, high protein All Life Stages kibble and raw for life. My dogs get between 45% and 55% protein and 20% to 30% fat. My 11 year old dog eats the same as my puppy did, when he was a puppy. I rotate between any kibble I can find that meets my criteria, no particular brand. And I have never had a fat dog in 39 years.

Calcium levels that are unreasonably high can increase the risk of certain orthopedic problems in growing dogs. Cheaper foods tend to have more calcium in their protein sources (more byproducts vs whole meat). So it's not the protein itself that is the problem, but the calcium level. Byproducts themselves are not bad when used in correct proportions.

Calcium levels that are unreasonably high can increase the risk of certain orthopedic problems in growing dogs. Cheaper foods tend to have more calcium in their protein sources (more byproducts vs whole meat). So it's not the protein itself that is the problem, but the calcium level. Byproducts themselves are not bad when used in correct proportions.

They need a Mythbusters episode on this one. Protein being the problem is one of the most prevalent dog food myths I've ever heard.

TEC.... Rose is very well behaved indeed for a pup as young as she is. 4 months next week. The fact that I am a Professional Pet Dog Trainer helps for sure, and that my other 2 adult dogs (Phoenix 8 y/o male BC and Bree 6 y/o Terrier Mix ) are both good , well mannerd indoor dogs and excellent role models for Rose is also a big plus.

I thank you and everyone here about the great advice and wisdom on dog food. I have done much research over the years on dog food and immunizations. Thank goodness all my dogs are a good weight and never had a vet say they had to lose weight. Coats are beautiful as well. I hear a lot about raw, but I and my husband are not quite there yet.

Thing is Rose is my 1st BC that I plan on working from a wee young age and I keep hearing information that is different than what I have done for all the years and all the dogs my husband and I have raised which has been 46 yrs. this week !!! and Rose is doggy #13 (my good luck doggy..LOL!) (which have all been healthy etc).

I believe that when you know better you do better! So that being said, I am hoping to do even better with my new baby.

I have always fed puppy food for about 1 year, but heard after my Phoenix was almost a year (from other BC people on here) that I should switch him over to adult and no need to feed puppy at all! Soooo, I thought, this time I want to start out right!! LOL! Rose's stools are not real loose, and have shape but a bit softer than I think they should be. I checked the Acana adult and the protein and fat levels are really not that much different.... I am going to switch her to adult this week and give the puppy food to the local shelter as you or someone suggested. I am going to check out some of the other brands y'all have mentioned here however. So we shall see.

This is the first time I have had 2 BC's in my home at one time, and it is shaping up to be very interesting to say the least. Rose, is like a serious carbon copy of Phoenix....what big bro does.....I DO!!! poor Bree. I am going to have to start getting on the puppy because she wants to herd Bree (as Phoenix has done for years, but Bree has learned to deal with him....however, 2 on 1....hmmmm different story!!! LOL!).

This could be a whole new topic for discussion!!!!! :) THANK YOU A L L !

I fed my last dog nature's variety instinct, my favorite food that i've found over the years. I'm going to be bringing home a new addition who is 8 weeks home next week, and will be feeding him the same food, as it is an all life stages food. The crude protein is rated at 36%... I can't imagine this being too high, but I could be wrong?

So I settled on Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato.

Did a lot of reading and took everyone's suggestions in to account. I have been feeding Acana Wild Prairie or Ranchlands, to Phoenix and Bree for quite awhile now. And both are doing well , and are healthy with beautiful coats! both Acana brands are in the 31% - 38% protein range with 17% fat.

I have been feeding the puppy Orijen (38% protein, 17% fat), but after some of the info I read here on the boards, I should keep to approx 25% protein. I really didn't want a lot of grain. The Acana has low glycemic oats but no grains which I like and it helps lower that protein.

After suggestions here and much research, it is apparently better not to feed working breed puppies too high protein, due to accelerated bone growth. The new Acana I purchased has 28% protein so it is just a minor decrease for my adult dogs Phoenix and Bree, but. 10% decrease for the puppy (same 17% fat). So we shall see.

Rose will be 15 weeks old this week, so I am transitioning now.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT! It is much appreciated :)