BC Boards

Lizard Licking

Ceana caught a Lizard today (while on her leash...impressive) and instead of eating or pouncing on it she was standing there licking it :rolleyes::D OK fun to watch but does anyone know of any poisonous reptiles/insects that could make her sick from licking? I know amazon tree frogs an kill people that lick them... I only really know about sankes and spiders when it comes to poison.

Ceana says :D

Wow - just did a google for venomous lizards and found this article from the New Scientist:

Venomous lizards

No wonder my iguana bites always seemed to get infected!

Anyway, what did the lizard look like? Y'all have Gila monsters and beaded lizards where you live, don't you? :D

I don't believe I'd let ceana do this. I'd worry about salmonella, if nothing else - although judging by the number of anole tails Violet has consumed it may not be all that easy to catch :rolleyes: - and besides, lizards are our friends. They eat nasty bugs. And they don't like being licked. :D

And I thought this was to do with a neighboring burg: Lizard Lick, North Carolina.

If Ceana licked it more than once, I'll bet it's OK. Fergie loves to pounce at frogs and make them jump into the pond. Then she found a toad in a field. It wouldn't leap, so she tried to mouth it to make it move. Only once! Should have seen her shake her snout.

Fergie loves to pounce at frogs and make them jump into the pond. Then she found a toad in a field. It wouldn't leap, so she tried to mouth it to make it move. Only once! Should have seen her shake her snout.

You know, my Lhasa grabs toads in his mouth probably once or twice a week. They make him spit and actually foam at the mouth, but he persists in grabbing every one he can catch. :rolleyes: I mean, I get that one small brown creature, like a mouse, must seem at first awfully similar to another, but wouldn't you think he'd learn eventually that the hoppy ones taste awful?

I thought at first she was writing about Lizard Lick, NC. That's what caught my eye as well. :D

Living in the swamp here in Florida, my dogs chase lizards and frogs all the time. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT SOME TOADS ARE DEADLY. We lost our Westie last year to an encounter with a Bufo toad. We now routinely catch and freeze them and then discard them. Our Westie was a special guy and this was a horrible experience watching him deteriorate over the course of three days and then succumb to kidney failure. Painted_Ponies, do you have these in your area? Maybe worth a web search or ask your vet. My BC doesn't really pay any attention to them but our terriers (earth dogs) serch them out. Never had any issues withe type of lizards we have in our area.

Eric