BC Boards

Border Collie Puppy Timeline?

I strongly second what Gentle Lake said, above.

The most important thing that I have learned in behavior modification with a dog is that you must never, ever, ever, not even once, let the dog get away scott free with something that you don't want the dog to do.

Whenever you are able to, make it impossible for the dog to do what you don't like.

If that isn't possible, then you need to do something to discourage the unwanted behavior, every single time. Just keep doing it. It will eventually have the desired effect, but you have to be completely persistent.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring self rewarding behavior doesn't work. As you have seen. If a dog chased deer, no one would say to ignore it as a way to get the dog to stop chasing deer.

Clip the leash on her in the house or yard and walk her around. Actively engage with her. Do you use a clicker? The second she stops looking at the leash (even if you were the one who removed it from her mouth), click/treat. Repeat. If you can take a couple steps without her touching it, click/treat. Shorten the leash as well (don't put tension on it) but wrap up the excess in your palm so there is less dangling in front of her. Engage her mind and she will stop fixating on the leash.

My young one was a leash chewer as a puppy for about a week. I wasn't about to allow that annoying behavior. We practed loose leash walking in the house and yard before going out on the road. I would at time, yank the leash out of her mouth and give her a good serious look that leash chewing was not what I wanted. I then rewarded her for not looking at or touching the leash. I also practiced waving/swinging the leash in front of her after a few days of progress. If she ignored it, click/treat. If she tried to mouth it, a short verbal correction, "eh" was enough to make her think.

Look up videos on YouTube for how to teach loose leash skills. kikopup is who I always recommend for beginners with puppies. She shows things in enough detail for people to really follow.

Also picking her up teaches her nothing. You want to "control" her mind, not physically control her. Teach her to make the right decision by showing her what you want instead of relying on physically constraining/restraining her.

If she were a mastiff or Great Dane, picking her up wouldn't be an option.

Re: tugging on the leash, you could also consider teaching her how to play tug well (by well I mean learning when shes allowed to grip, and how to release, there's some great stuff on that in the Fenzi videos) and putting it on a cue, and then you can help her understand that "tug" is a thing that she plays with you with only certain toys and on your schedule so the leash is not a tug toy.

I do this because I actually like my dogs to want to tug as a reward for work so rather than extinguish it completely I want to redirect it.

Also consider does she do this from the get go, or further on along the walk, or what? Is it something she does to engage you in play, or because shes frustrated and wants to go elsewhere, or what? Sometimes getting that figured out can make it a little easier to deal with.

Why not just smear some bitter apple or something similar on the lead and let it self correct...

I tried that. I completely soaked the leash with bitter apple, but it didn't stop her.

Not sure what this comment is about:

"Holy cow... what happened to "She's only two years old", and "Avoid getting into a battle of wills" ?????"

No one here has suggested a single thing that would result in a battle of wills.

Unless you do it incorrectly and turn it into one.

We are all suggesting things that would probably work to correct a behavior that needs to be corrected in a young dog so as not to become an ingrained and very troublesome habit in an adult.

Please be careful with the chain leash. I have used one myself in dealing with this problem, but it can break their teeth.

Not sure what this comment is about:

"Holy cow... what happened to "She's only two years old", and "Avoid getting into a battle of wills" ?????"

Yeah I guess you are right. Sorry for the knee-jerk reaction. I know you are all just trying to help. But it seems that everything I try just makes her that much more determined. Then I feel myself getting frustrated and need to back off. If I gave the impression that I just let her get away with it that isn't the case. That never happens. Except maybe that sometimes she gets one last bite in, then lets go and acts normal. The only thing I've been able to do that doesn't result in a battle is to pick her up. I know what you mean about the metal leash. If she still wants to chew on it I'll go back to the nylon style leash.

Ignoring self rewarding behavior doesn't work. As you have seen. If a dog chased deer, no one would say to ignore it as a way to get the dog to stop chasing deer.

I wasn't ignoring the behavior. I was turning my back to "ignore" her. Just to not give her the satisfaction of me seeing her tug on the leash, and to purposely not give the appearance that I was tugging or playing back with her. Also, we stop walking at this point, staying in one spot.

You really think that is what is giving your pup the satisfaction? You seeing her chew the leash? Let me get this straight, you honestly believe your pup chews the leash just to rile you?

She gets her satisfaction when I pull back or give resistance. She wants me to play a game of tug with her. If I turn my back on her and don't make visual contact it won't be a very fun game for her. What is your point?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am also a new BC owner and not one that will be using my dog to herd or compete. I think I understand your need to have a benchmark and I understand the reluctance of others to give you a human age to compare to. I have been having struggles with my puppy who just turned 14 weeks yesterday with some biting and behavior I can't understand. However, I have received some extremely valuable feedback from people on here that has already helped and we will keep working on it.

Thus far Roscoe has learned some simple commands like sit, lay down, he can fetch a ball, catch it (sometimes) and he throws it. I do a lot of things with his toys that he has to figure out himself to keep his mind busy, like puzzles. I let him choose his own toys out of his toy box. He has a wide variety of things he can choose from so he does not get bored. On his own he has learned to put them away when he doesn't want to play with them anymore. He puts back the one he is finished with and takes out another one although sometimes there are several sprawled out on the floor. He has an incredible memory and he tries to imitate things he sees us do such as use tools to retrieve his ball from under the couch when he can't reach it.

He is doing well with house training he has accidents now and then but not very often. One of the issues we were having that I didn't understand was he was biting when we were putting on his leash. It didn't make sense to me because he loves to go out for walks and to go out and play but every time we would attempt to attach the leash to his collar he was biting our hand sometimes so hard he was drawing blood. Thankfully, with the suggestions I received on here that has been almost completely solved. We now offer him a treat and very slowly attach the leash and he is much more calm.

There are days he is like a 2 year old and other days he is like a teenager and sometimes he is like an infant. I never know what I will wake up to. He is a mixed bag of tricks that is for sure.

I hope you find a way to understand where your puppy is so you can relate. It is a challenge but when it is good it is amazing. I'm so glad I found this site for support and information.

Wow this topic is moving fast, I offered my experience and came back to see much, much more.

Rush fan it sounds like our puppies have a lot in common both have very strong will and are very focused on their own thing.

I have to say one of the best pieces of advice I have received from people on this site, aside from using more treats to get my puppy to stop biting is more time in his crate. I have been using it every time he has been biting intentionally and he has been chewing on the things he is not supposed to be and it has absolutely helped both him and me.

He has 3 crates in various parts of the house so it can be done immediately and we have a much better relationship. I am less exhausted and he knows he can have a time out when he needs it and we are both happier.

I have also been leaving him alone in his crate for 30 minutes or so each day so we get a break as well. He had not been left alone prior to the suggestion of utilizing the crate more. I can't thank those of you who suggested it enough.