BC Boards

Kingston Sheep Dog Trial

airbear

The Kingston Sheep Dog Trial at Grass Creek is quite the event! In addition to the trials, there are lots of attractions and activities, which draw thousands to the park. The field itself, while small, has lots of tricky bits, including swales where the sheep can lose sight of the dogs, and the turn around the post, where many MANY sets of sheep make a break for the other side of the hill, and it's on your dog to scoop them out.

For Open 2, the judge asked for a pull-through on the crossdrive (rather than go through the panels, go around them high and bring the sheep through).

Bar had a bit of a rough go in Open 1, with sheep he couldn't settle. In this run, he had lovely sheep who would rather graze than run, and I was very happy with how Bar performed. He still looks at me a bit more than I'd like but on balance, I was pleased with the effort he gave me. He's the third dog I've had the pleasure of running at this great trial, and every time we come, we have such a great time. Great trial, tricky sheep, fantastic competition - just a top notch trial for handlers and spectators alike.

Nice vid, that's a beautiful trial field. I especially like the postman, and the cute flowers hanging on the pen :)

That is Sgt. Lajeunesse, of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)! One of the handlers (Dave Young) carved him and presented him to Amanda Milliken, our trial hostess, in honour of Kingston's 30th Anniversary. It took four big guys to wrestle him out to the post, but he stood proudly for all of Open 2, and the double-lift Final.

post-2249-0-31234100-1504667476_thumb.jpg

...You are right, nice sheep, but on the other hand, I have been noticing how it is usually the people with good dogs that always seem to draw the nice sheep... ;)

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, this was our first run at Kingston. Most of the time, sheep like Bar, because he's kind and non-threatening. These girls did NOT like him. Bar put on some miles trying to get them around the course - good thing he's fast LOL!