BC Boards

Con Mcgarries Pup

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our sheepfarming is very extensive, Border Collies are well used but as they have to walk many many kilometres and with herds of hundreds over hard terrain,

the sheperds have prefered an english type of sheepdog, that works better with huge herds.

The say that BC arent as tough in their feet as the other dogs.

We have some trails at the end of summer in the continent and Tierra del Fuego that are very interesting to watch.

We live in Pucon, we breed working dogs and train at a much more basic level than in Europe or the States, I have trained one good dog and sold him for a big sheep farm in the south.

There are many good dogs both in Chile and Argentina but not many that know how to train them well.

My question is this:

we bought the pup from Ireland, they sent it by plane to Italy, we are living now in Italy and flying back to Chile on the end of september.

He si of very good blood, I have never had any dog of this quality

What I dont know how to deal is his shyness

He freaks out when he sees any human, he hides behind our legs and pulls on the lead as if wanting to run away.

It seems he had no socialization at all.

I taught him how to lead, everything is ok when we are alone, but if he sees somebody he forgets everything.

And we are in Venice, full of people and heat, he lives in a small garden, I take him out for walks, but it is full of people, and motorinos (motobikes that make a lot of noise) and cars.

He was out of food for some days but now better

Anyone could give me an advice please???

thanks

How old is your pup?

The general advice when dealing with a pup that is fearful of people is to ask people to give him really tasty treats that he can not resist (chicken, steak, cheese - whatever he likes the most). If he will not approach people to get the treat, the person may have to throw the treat towards him so he can get if. Do this gradually with only one or two people at first, and depending on how he reacts, you can begin to ask more people to help you. It must be hard in such a crowded place, but you will have to try your best to bring him out to places that are less crowded in the beginning because he 'may' be so fearful of people (You know your pup best.) that if he is too overwhelmed with people, he may not take treats from them. That is why I suggest to try this with only one or two people at first in a somewhat quiet environment.

I am sure others here will have good advice.

Jovi

Thanks!!

he is 5 months old and sometimes he gets so stresses that he doesnt want to eat at all.

I will ask people if they can give him treats but I think he is over stressed as to eat in this situation

He is making progress, because when he arrived, when we took him out of the crate he was in a state of shock, not wanting anything at all.

he is nervous and learns very fast when we are alone

I have a dog that I got when she was about 1.5 years. She was terrified of people and other dogs. it has taken me nearly two years to get her OK with people, still only in small groups at a time. I did not ask people to approach her at first as it was too much for her. instead, I took her to places that I could have her at a little distance from people where she would not react. I would ask her for behaviors, such as heeling, sits, downs, etc and reward her with lamb (her favorite). Gradually I would walk her closer to people and then turn around and reward her by walking farther away from people. i did this until she was comfortable being close to people. she does not seem to notice people as much when there is stock around. it takes work, but I would not start by having people come right up to your pup.

Even though your pup isn't aggressive, I suggest reading this article. It has some excellent pointers. With shy pups I slowly introduce them to scary situations and try to make them as fun and enjoyable as possible. I do not let other people pet them or force them to do anything that is too overwhelming. Take things slowly and provide lots of support and encouragement.

• 2 months later...

Hello Friends

I am the one from Con Mcarrys a bit shy pup...

We came back to patagonia, i started working on discipline on him and finally made contact with him

He does well the down, the stand and in general is a bit more civilized, still shy but goes along with it better.

We have 4 dogged sheep, and a 14 meter diameter round pen, we work him outside the pen, me inside, he does very well balancing and going to the front, also stops.

But when i put him inside, i keep my older dog outside pushing the sheep to the center, but my pup only wants to grip and goes directly to the sheep.

I didnt stop him on the first time, thinking it would go, but he continues to want only to grip.

he is very strong and completelly forgets about me when with sheep and only with the long line i can stop him once he is in the go mode.

Anyone can help me with the griping???

right now i took him off sheep for some days and continue with my old dog.

Thank you very much

Paul Walker

www.amansepatagonia.com

Hello Donald

My level is very basic, I have trained some farm dogs that can fetch, go both sides, push and stop well.

This is a small video of one of the dogs while I was training him:

All these dogs have come from good sheepdogs but none with the genetics of Jack. We bought him in Ireland without knowing his parents, both open trial dogs, one is son of Aled Owens Roy and the bitch comes from Cons best dogs.

Thanks

Paul

At 8 months, its entirely possible he's not ready for training.

If he is very keen but also very stubborn, I would recommend letting him grow up for a few more months. Test him once a month, but let his mind grow up to match his keenness and instincts. He'll be better able to understand your corrections and training when he's a little older.

My concern is that, if he's that driven now, it may require more pressure to get his cooperation than a pup his age is mentally able to take. In other words, if you have to come down hard on him now, it could do his mind damage and mess him up for later training.

Don't be in a hurry. No matter how keen he is or how well bred, you want to be certain his mind is ready for the pressure of training.

Best of luck! Hope he is also coming along well with the shyness you mentioned earlier this year. :)

~ Gloria

Dear Mr. Walker,

Your video showed me a novice who wasn't making a lot of mistakes. You should be okay. Please be aware that "Con Mcgarries" pup will be more like than unlike pups you've previously trained. A top pedigree isn't important unless you're trying to win the best trials and even then it is much less important than your dedication, skill and luck. I've owned dogs from International and National Finals winners and they were no better than other well bred dogs I've owned.

Do what you've been doing. "Con McGarrie's" pup will likely train and work much like "Paul Walker's" pup. He may be suffering from too high expectations which puts pressure on a very young dog. The small ring puts more pressure on a sheepdog than a bigger area (dog can't escape). Back off, take it easy, befriend your sheepdog, come back in a couple months in a bigger area asking "What can this dog do now and how can I help him be a better worker?"

Donald McCaog

Thank you all very much...

I realize I am putting too much pressure on him, now we are very good friends.... off sheep, so I will wait for him to grow.

Meanwhile learn more with my other dogs, Tango and Luna, and also taming a bit more my sheep before Jack comes into the ring.

I will show you my advances with the old ones. I started Tango at two years and he is doing well...maybe there is a lesson of patience there..

Best regards from the south

Paul Walker

There you go, Paul! :) Polish your training skills with the dogs you have already going. Then when it comes your pup's turn again, you'll feel that much better about the direction you want to go, and what it may take to get there. Never hurry a pup. My wee Gael turned 3 in July, and though I started working her at 11 months, she's just now really coming into her own.

Con McG's pup will become Paul Walker's pup, and will become exactly the partner you groom and raise him to be. Meanwhile, enjoy his puppyhood! Explore the world through his eyes and senses, while he can still entertain the child in your heart.:)

~ Gloria

Thank you very much

I have a lot to polish!!!

I am learning a lot from my dogs, letting them be with the sheep, under control, and this approach has given me much better and faster results, once the discipline is learned.

I will show you his advances

All the best from the south...

Paul Walker