• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Zach

Zach

• Registered Users
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

I ordered some film.

The blinds down all day today kept Lily mostly interested in toys but she also slept more today. If this is a snapshot of her future normal, it will be fine.

#22 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:49 PM

Zach, just re-read your initial post. I didn't get the first time through that you've only had her 5 days. She is in a settling in period.

At age 2, you can certainly teach her to 'settle', or the longer version ~ 'get out of my face and go lay down'.  Get a couple kongs, moisten her kibble with water, stuff the kongs and freeze. Feed her half her daily allowance of food in the kongs.

Enforce the down times. She will probably fuss at first, but stick to your guns. If you don't have a crate or xpen, get one. Teach her that it's her safe place to rest. Give her the kongs in there and only in there.

Glad to read that she's somewhat calmer already. I somehow got the impression that she was younger and you'd had her longer.

Thanks for taking her in!

Ruth & Gibbs

#23 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 AM

What Ruth said!

You will be glad you got on this now. It's already an obsession, and bad habits and unwanted behaviors are best dealt with sooner than later.

Hopefully, the film will do the trick inexpensively and eventually can be removed if you wish.

Very best wishes!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#24 Zach

Zach

• Registered Users
  • 43 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:46 PM

update: after her first day running around in the dog park (not just walking around the big park on a leash), she has been sleeping almost all day. She doesn't know fetch yet, but just as well since running along with our other dog a few times wore her out - Lily's endurance is not up to par with our other dog, but she seems very satisfied. She checked the window once, finding it still closed, chewed a toy for 5 min and took a nap under my wife's desk (with her feet).  Once she understands the routine around here, and how much fun and exhausting the mornings are, maybe the windows will be a non-issue. I'm very much encouraged by this result.

Thanks all.

#25 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,166 posts

Posted Today, 09:56 AM

That is, indeed, encouraging. Glad to hear it. :-)

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.