BC Boards

Awesome deShedding Tool

Many people have often asked what to do about shedding. Yesterday I bought this comb from Petsmart:

Link to Tool @ Petsmart

lg_11675_5116b.jpg

I used it today on my GSD/Chow who has a thick undercoat (cream colored kinky hair) that CONSTANTLY sheds ALL YEAR long. You seriously can't take this dog anywhere! Anyway, I was VERY pleased w/ the results and can now run my hand down her back and not get a handful!! Only like 3 hairs! You can see her photo in my sig if you want to see what she looks like.

I have not used it on my BC because she did not get an undercoat this year - just had puppy fur.

I got the medium sized comb as I thought the widest one would be too combersome. Now these are quite spendy 'combs' but I think they are WELL worth the investment.

I figure I could probably go once a week combing her out to keep the shedding down. And the great side effect is that this summer, she'll be cooler!

I think I will give it a try, but not for my dogs. Once they blow, it's done. I want it for Sammy! That dad gum cat should be bald from the hair he leaves everywhere! I have tried all sorts of combs and brushes! So we'll see what this does. Oh, how nice it would be when he jumps on my chest at night to get his nightly "face rub" to not have a shower of hair everywhere!

I remember seeing that brush! I was wondering if it worked.

I really want one but Dazzle has a thinner coat and doesn't shed much - and the shih tzus don't shed at all.

I really wanted one though, I just don't have a dog for it! :rolleyes:

I love that Zoe doesn't shed much at all... but our GSD is seriously the worst offender I've ever seen. I try not to pet him too much anymore, because fur goes everywhere! (And of course hubby loves to cuddle him close, ruffle his fur, then thump his sides... fur EVERYWHERE!) Aggghhhh.

It would be great for your GSD. I seriously think my dog sheds because she's part GSD and not because of the Chow part. She's just thicker furred cuz of the chow but she mostly has GSD fur.

And yes, I wear matching colored clothes to her fur when we go to agility... NEVER dark colored clothes for my gold/cream dog. :rolleyes:

That's a very good price. I would have bought it for the name alone :rolleyes: A friend of mine raved about it for her BC's, so so another BC owner and I each bought one for our dogs. However, neither of us have been as impressed and feel our undercoat rakes work better. I think my dogs prefer the Furminator to the rake (less tugging)and I like it for places like their legs where the hair isn't as long. Some of this may be technique, so we both plan to keep playing with it.

I'm glad you brought this up...I've been thinking about getting one myself but didn't know if it would be worth the money. We have 4 badly shedding dogs in this house and have to vacuum everyday just to keep up w/ the dog hair. Not so bad after Navi and Pache shed their coats, but the other two are non stop shedders.

Made DH get me one today while he was in Petsmart. I have to say I will be using it quite often to keep up w/ the furballs around here. (Side note: He got the small one instead of the medium, so it takes a little longer but is just right for Gracie and Buster).

Thanks for the report.

I bought one from QVC, and tried using it on Annie. In my case, it did not work; the teeth are too short to get to the undercoat. I continue to groom her daily with the undercoat rake and grooming tool that I have been using all along. Others may have more success than I did.

I paid about $36.00 for the one I have at Petsmart and I think it was money wasted. I tried on every dog on the place and got less hair than when I used a rake. Granted, my dogs were not in full shedding mode when I tried it out on them. Maybe the dogs have to be moulting for it to be of much use.

I tried it yesterday on River's med rough coat and got a surprising (if still small) amount of undercoat.

I have never used a rake and that might be the most appropriate for longer haired dogs. The teeth on the Furminator are quite short and I could see how it could hurt some dogs whose hair isn't fully brushed before you begin. River whinced a few times when I started cuz I snagged a few knots, but then I figured out to comb her out first then use it and she was fine.