BC Boards

Weave times?

There's been the conversation before that time does not matter to many people for agility, and that's fair enough!

I myself when training my dog do want to get the most out of him, and am a competitive person simply because I want to improve my dog.

Of course, handling is the most important, but bad handling would be a fault at my end, not the dog, so with the dog I focus on accuracy and speed (if I cant keep up, well, I got to be a better handler)

So anyway, I'm wondering roughly the timing your guys pups weaves may be? Of course, its difficult to time properly, as with human timing there's a certain margin of error, but roughly?

My pup got 2.75 and 2.81, and he also had a faster one, but sadly the person timing didn't get it that time.

The other dog in the class got 2.68 and 2.75, so a little faster. Such a nice bc :)

(3 in the class, but the other couldnt weave fully yet)

Either way, we timed the weaves today because... why not haha!

(have no idea how these measure up to other dogs btw, so im not trying to brag/complain/i don't know either just to let yall know)

These are so close, it is very easy for it to be down to about .2 above and below perhaps? I don't know. We didn't repeat it many times to get a good average, or use electronic equipment.

This is a full set of weaves btw.

My dog is 11" tall. Based on some of the video I have it takes her about 3-4 seconds to complete a set of 12 weaves. That second difference is largely based on whether she's in a trial setting she's comfortable in (outdoors - 3-ish seconds) or one that stresses her slightly (indoors, 4ish seconds). Her times at home are slightly faster. I can't be more precise, because well - video timing isn't.

And of course once in a blue moon she is WAY too stressed or tired and basically walks them. That's rare at this point, but it happens.

I have no real way of timing my BCs time, at least yet. I'll get some video or something at some point. Maybe. I kind of suspect the time is similar though, just because Kylie has less of her to get through.

I love timing stuff! For this video, I started the time when his head broke the plane of the first pole, and stopped it when he broke the plane of the 12th. He had a dead straight approach, the poles are 24" spacing, and the poles are staked as firmly as I'm able (the ground is not terribly firm). So based on that, I have Bar at about 2.19 seconds. I think his weaves are pretty fast, but I've definitely seen faster. Still, I think that so long as the dog has reasonably fast poles, and independent entries, and can finish the poles by himself, letting the handler prepare for the next obstacles, then it's probably not worth it to try to shave a couple tenths of a second on the actual pole performance. JMO, of course!

LOL!! Tessa's weaves are consistent but sloooooooow!!! 8 - 15 seconds for 12.

And yes, I tried to make her faster. And I decided that it was in the best interest of this dog to let her weave at her own pace and make up the time elsewhere on the course. We do that primarily in the jumping sequences. :)

Bandit already weaves faster, but his weaves aren't fully trained.

I am actually highly amused by Tessa's weaves. They are just . . . so her!

I have never actually timed my guy, but maybe I should . I know his performance improved greatly when we did some work with v-weaves, which seemed to really help him get his timing right, before he would push hard and struggle to stay in at pole 10. He looks fast because he is a big flowing dog, what I have found is that working on independance has given me so many more options, there are still holes we need to work on. I suspect good entires can shave time off as well, if a dog can dive in and break, then accelerate, you will get an even better performance. That time to find the entry is very important.

I love timing stuff! For this video, I started the time when his head broke the plane of the first pole, and stopped it when he broke the plane of the 12th. He had a dead straight approach, the poles are 24" spacing, and the poles are staked as firmly as I'm able (the ground is not terribly firm). So based on that, I have Bar at about 2.19 seconds. I think his weaves are pretty fast, but I've definitely seen faster. Still, I think that so long as the dog has reasonably fast poles, and independent entries, and can finish the poles by himself, letting the handler prepare for the next obstacles, then it's probably not worth it to try to shave a couple tenths of a second on the actual pole performance. JMO, of course!

I agree completely with this.

But most importantly, Bar looks GREAT. So fast! Can I drop off my own shiny slickie for some training? ;)

Bar looks great!! I'd like to know how you did the timing thing? That would be oh so handy for many things :-)

Thanks! He's a lot of fun. Sometimes, he can't hold onto the entry and skips the second pole, and sometimes, he just flat out misses a pole. And that's ... <Stuart Smalley pause> ok. :)

You can add a timestamp in Final Cut Pro. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's about my favourite feature in FCP!

Bar is absolutely fabulous! :D Haha, <3 her

When I hand timed Bar just, I got 2.5 and 2.65, and I got 2.41 when I tried to get it in time with the timer, goes to show how gosh inaccurate hand timing is! Really bad, thank god for electronic timers!

But then again, we're talking .30 of a second here, thats difficult for human reaction times!

_____

Though getting fast weaves would shave perhaps .5 of a second, it really isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but its still fun to see how much better you can do!

My agility instructor said for those entries, at first I had big troubles with them, and she gave the advice to make the entrance easier by going slightly more to the left of the pole so they have to still slightly weave the first pole rather than enter the gap, and once the dog has that nailed, slowly go from a bit further to the right, and has seemed to help since its much easier for the dog to enter from there, and it helps in competitions too.

I'm not sure if that's obvious or not though! Probably is really obvious. I don't know, im a simple person, not a top competitor.

Though when I get my dog going too fast, he misses out poles in between sometimes, which is a shame, I guess its just finding that balance of speed.

Tessa is such a lovely dog <3 I like watching videos of her!

@CptJack

Aww, 11" is around half of my dogs height!

Yeah, it can be a lot different in trials, for me its because im also much more careful in competitions so I won't push my dog as I don't want to mess up the round, however, he also is faster in competitions too due to the excitement in the air, so I wouldn't know his actual speed in comps at all, but it does feel slower.

Though its a shame she gets stressed :(

Though it sounds like its been getting better from what you said, which is great if so

Oh, yeah. When we started she had no confidence about anything and stressed super easy. That's changed radically over the year we've been trialing and the period before when we were just training.

She's still not the highest drive dog and doesn't have the most stamina (mental or otherwise) but when she's on she kills it and she's a happy, bouncy, excited dog about 95% of the time. Almost too much so at practices and lessons at this point, but hey. I'll take it.

Bar is absolutely fabulous! :D Haha, <3 her

Bar is a boy. :D

Though getting fast weaves would shave perhaps .5 of a second, it really isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but its still fun to see how much better you can do!

Totally! There are so many other places to save half a second on course. My dogs all tend to be good weavers and once they're trained, I pretty much leave them alone. It's their responsibility to find the entry and to stay in the poles; how they want to do that, what they do with their footfalls, that's up to them.

Though when I get my dog going too fast, he misses out poles in between sometimes, which is a shame, I guess its just finding that balance of speed.

That's part of the process of learning! They get some speed, they miss some poles. You can do some things to help them, but I find just ignoring the missed poles and having a huge party when they get it right will fix the problem. :D

My Wick, who passed in January, was the original kick ass weave dog. Like the others, I trained her on 2x2s and she made it her personal mission to plough through the poles as fast as possible. She broke more than a few poles in her career and she weighed 35lbs. Here she is in about 2004, when the poles were still 22" spacing. These are channel poles tied together and staked down. The girl could FLY!!

I had a trial today and chopped down a bit of video.

The program I used broke it down further, and it ended up being like 3.28 seconds.

I realize from behind isn't the best way to do this, but well. It was part of a course LOL.

I've no idea how fast our dogs weave. To me it's either as fast as the dog can physically go while maintaining accuracy or it isn't.

I'm not sure how much of a comparison it would be if I were to time them as our weaves don't move so can't be pushed aside as the dog goes through. Not that it matters with a dog as small as Kylie.

The weaves we have in competition don't move like the ones in the above video either. I had no idea they existed anywhere, actually. Not, like you said, that it matters with Kylie, but I've actually never seen that before the video was posted!

What are the competition weave poles made of and how are they fixed to the base?

Ours are rigid plastic pipe (never seen wood but could be) and they slot into or over a rigid metal base. Poles are usually shorter than seems to be the case in the US.

That sounds the same as ours - though the pole height is 36" (I think) which may be taller. Base width changes - NADAC requires a really narrow (the same width as the poles, actually) one and they aren't staked, AKC and other venues have wider (1/3 again as wide) and can be staked but the general construction is a metal strip with rigid poles, and offset 'feet'.

weave%20pin%201.jpg

and this kind of 'feet' for stability

COMP%206%20blue%20blue%20bands%20ext%20c

(UK)

Hmm, not seen any wooden weave poles yet.

Though they can be taller than this, this does seem to be the usual hight, 76.2cm (30 inches) is the minimum for weaves it says.

They seem thicker than the USA poles too, but that could just be because they look shorter, IDK

184254814-weave-poles-dog-agility-compet

competition-aluminium-weaves-6-pole-set-

You Tube vids do make it look as if the US long poles have more give in them than ours.

I don't think they usually have give as a matter of course. I suspect, though, that even with the give there are a lot of dogs 'shoving through'. Like, there may be more give - but they're essentially 3/4" PVC. They aren't MEANT to bend, but I see a lot of dogs who 'go fast' less by foot and body work and more by shoving through with their shoulders. Mostly big dogs who have the power to do that.

Actually, you know what? Maybe they do have more give and I'm just unaware of it since all I have to compare to are the ones I own and are over here.

The 'shoving through with their shoulders' thing is still very much a thing, though - and how a lot of those 'my dog broke the weave poles!' episode seems to happen.

I know I run a small dog now but I do own a BC and she does weave. And she does it without the shoving shoulders thing.

The height probably does show more movement, I definitely think that, and as for breaking poles, my instructor mentioned that some dogs do break poles (referring to the UK ones)

I guess it would depend on material (which I think is the same), diameter of the pipe, and the thickness of the pipe.

I think also the longer the object is, the easier it is to break, and the easier it is to flex, but I'm not sure if this would effect on 6" difference really, idk.

Guess there's no way to check, perhaps if you compared crufts/olympia large finals with the american equivalent maybe you could tell (if you don't look at the tops of the weaves, but the "give"), maybe not