BC Boards

First time on stock

Quinn

Wow! He does look impressive!

Picture one - he's just a smidge too tight - he's saying "Wheeee!"

Picture two, he's feeling the balance point and turning in. He's saying, "Hey, that feels interesting!"

Picture three, he's heading back to the balance point, "Hurry, hurry!"

Picture four, he's feeling something else now, "What's that? You talking to me? Maybe I shouldn't rush in here?"

Picture five, a dog and a rake, no sheep. No comment. :rolleyes:

Oops, I hit send too soon. You should have lots of fun with this guy! Look out!

Very interesting, Becca!

(I'm glad you didn't caption the pics from Jack's first time on sheep...every one was "Wheeee!" :D )

Speedy's were, too!! It took him 'till about the third time before he started to figure out that the sheep weren't the same thing as the lawnmower and my husband's motorcycle!! :rolleyes:

Congrats to you and Quinn!! I hope you continue to enjoy it!! :D

Picture five, a dog and a rake, no sheep. No comment. :rolleyes:

The rake was just laying in the pen, never got touched, I just liked his pose in the picture.

And oh yes, definately hooked, it was something else to watch him on sheep. He even took a "down" command at the end, had to do a double take "is that really my dog?!"

Congrats! It's a ball isn't it? Very addictive stuff :rolleyes: Great pictures too.

I just about cried laughing when I saw the rake. You can see the tip of the paddle in the next to last piccie too - but obviously it was conveying a needed message, lol.

Yeah, the last few times with the Tedlet have been a lot of Wheee too. And then I limped out there today (besides the flu I have a game ankle too - very mildly sprained it several days ago) and quickly changed my mind when he wouldn't even walk into the pen under control. He's a little "hot" from sitting waiting for mommy to get over ankle and flu. That sure doesn't help! I might need a rake . . . :rolleyes: We went back to the basics today and by the time I'm ready to run around he'll be ready to listen again. What a fun age this is - you never know what you are getting out of the "box" on any given training session.

Rocky is all Whee getting to the heads and then he turns into a different dog, almost too careful. He's very, very nervous about flanking, to the point where he'd rather lose his sheep than flank to cover, and I'm not sure how to interpret that. But he's very nice when he's moving the flock around. He's a dog that really, really needs to now what his job is rather than being told exactly how to do it - about like Ben was at this age.

Quinn looks great!

Becca, reading your post sure brought a smile to my face. Ahhh, to be starting a young 'un...they are absolutely the COOLEST things on the planet! And as (potentially) frustrating and aerobic as starting one is in the beginning, it's the most fun, I think. Kinda makes me sorry my young one is as far along as she is--we're working on getting inside flanks consistently (right now we're at about 75+% most of the time), and yesterday she even "shed" the calves. My addiction is definitely starting them. I need a steady supply of pups to start for my fix, :D

Anna

ETA: I noticed the paddle and rake, too, but was afraid to mention them! :rolleyes:

Yeah, the last few times with the Tedlet have been a lot of Wheee too. And then I limped out there today (besides the flu I have a game ankle too - very mildly sprained it several days ago) and quickly changed my mind when he wouldn't even walk into the pen under control. He's a little "hot" from sitting waiting for mommy to get over ankle and flu. That sure doesn't help! I might need a rake . . .

Sounds like you might need a riding mower instead of a rake...just joking, of course!

Now, I hate to look like a total idiot here, but I've always believed the only bad question is the unasked one, so I have to ask:

Why all the comments about the Paddle and the rake? Clearly I'm more novice than my dog is, at least he has the instinct going for him, although I'm still hoping to learn.

Why all the comments about the Paddle and the rake?

Recent rake thread #1 (interesting and informative)

Recent rake thread #2 (hold onto your hat!!!)

You seem to have a natural talent for strolling calmly through a trainwreck without getting a scratch. I'm sure you and your dog will have a long and rewarding herding career :rolleyes:

Recent rake thread #1 (interesting and informative)

Recent rake thread #2 (hold onto your hat!!!)

You seem to have a natural talent for strolling calmly through a trainwreck without getting a scratch. I'm sure you and your dog will have a long and rewarding herding career :rolleyes:

Thank you for the links, starting to read through them. So much to learn, , but definately seems like it will be worth it, if I can manage to get my brain around it.

I might point out that we are joking about the rake and paddle in the pictures. And in our comments about pups. Those really were neat pictures. It's hard to get good small pen pictures.

Becca, reading your post sure brought a smile to my face. Ahhh, to be starting a young 'un...they are absolutely the COOLEST things on the planet! And as (potentially) frustrating and aerobic as starting one is in the beginning, it's the most fun, I think.

Yes they are. I currently have the pleasure :rolleyes: of working 3 of Ted's littermates. Hmmmm, I'm loosing the weight I added over the winter.

Quinn, enjoy this time; it's quite amazing watching them learn.

Mark

Guest pax
Yes they are. I currently have the pleasure :rolleyes: of working 3 of Ted's littermates. Hmmmm, I'm loosing the weight I added over the winter.

Quinn, enjoy this time; it's quite amazing watching them learn.

Mark

Every time I take Starr out to the sheep, Nash (one of those three littermates) lies in his crate and cries. Mollie (age 5, for those of you who don't know) came out to tell me the other day that I needed to take Nash to Mark and Renee RIGHT NOW because he needs his own sheep.

I love Quinn's "microwalk" in the last picture. :D