BC Boards

bloodshot eyes

BeezSK

My dog always seems to have vieny or bloodshot eyes. Sometimes it is the whole eye that has a red tinge to it, other times it is just a few really big viens but it always gives her eyes the appearance of being bloodshot or sore. She doesn't really seemed bothered by it but is this a cause for concern?

It's hard saying. Boyden had bloodshot eyes at certain times due to allergies. I just put a few eyedrops in to soothe his eyes.

Your dog may not have allergies, but may just be irritated by some substance. Or, it could be a symptom of some serious eye problem.

Chances are that it's no cause for concern but if there is any weeping, eye snot, swelling, etc., then I would definately take your dog to the vet to get checked. Eyes are so important.

Are there certain things that trigger it for her?

When we got Bailey he had very red/bloodshot eyes. We were told by the vet at the rescue he came from that there was no infection or anything and she just put it down to excitment (but she did have him on antibiotics just in case - but they didnt seem to do anything!). He still gets bloodshot eyes quite often but only when he's excited. Might be worth checking with your vet though in case its an infection!