BC Boards

BC Heat Tolerance.

Around here, we're getting 100-112f days.

Our BC stays outside in a 13x7.5ft dog run.

I've put a top on the dog run to provide shade.

Depending on time of day, shade can come from a nearby tree, or the house it is up against. This is the coolest spot in the yard, and ALWAYS has a good amount of shade any time of day.

I've had my family check on him often during the day to make sure he's OK, and he seems to be effected by the heat, so they bring him indoors for a while.

They also have to bring him fresh water, since he likes tossing the bowl around. (This I will fix by modifying a bowl with stakes so it can't be knocked over)

also I'm thinking of adding a patio misting system around the dog run.

I'll probably get him a 'summer cut' as well.

Any other advice or experience on making his little environment a little more comfortable?

No introduction to water yet. I'm taking him to the MiL's house tomorrow and see if he digs the pool. He was fixed last wednesday, so we can't get him wet until tomorrow.

He could be crated inside, but he hates the crate sooo much. He's not fond of being in the dog run either, though... or being outside in general.

Hello Neighbors (we are up the hill from you, but it is still beastly hot here, too) I think the misting system is a *really* good idea, cheap and drops the temp a good 20 degrees in our dry climate. I think I would not have it cover the whole area so he can get out of the mist if he wants. Just make sure the run is mostly shaded (shade cloth could be added to a sun exposed side if need be), he has *lots* of water, and with the mister, it should be OK. A play pool is also a great idea. This heat is wicked, stay cool, and keep your pup cool, too!

Here in the summer it is, of course, often well over 100 in the summertime. Jester has adjusted to being a desert-living dog, just as I have adjusted to the heat here. Even when it is hot, he can play strenuously outdoors, chasing the frisbee or the ball. I am amazed at his stamina in the heat of the day at times. Normally his play times are early in the morning and in the evening, both times when it is a bit cooler, although it can be frequently over 90. But some days I take him to work with me and take him to a park in the middle of the day on my lunch break. He can run for the full hour, taking breaks on his own timing to lie in the shade and drink lots of water whenever he wants to. He can run a lot more in the heat than I can, that's for sure! I never push him, of course, and he seems to be very sensible about it and never seems to overheat.

when dad had cattle they would just jump in the big drinking throughts.it would really tick the cattle off too.i have noticed that they get so intensly focased on task that they must be commanded to chill out.however shakespeare (dads 2 yr old is smart enough to find a cool shady spot before the rest of the pack.

Good morning. Where we live, our BC's usually run loose most of the time. Granted we live on a ranch. When we can't find the dogs when it is hot, we go look in 1 of the 4 waterholes. They all adore swimming. What is bad though is when they go swimming in a slough. EEEEW stinky lol. But in our case it is so much easier because if the dogs get hot..they just go for a swim.

Dianne

As a mailman who jumps fences to give dogs even 1 of the great heat vs. dog list you mentioned. It seems to me that you got it pretty well covered. Good for you to get someone to look in on him. Only thing I could think of is a concrete water dish....they don't tip ever.

Best of luck,

Yogie

I don't know about the clipping or new "do" for the summer. Try the cooling methods. You should check with a good groomer about clipping. Alot of groomers will not clip/shave a BC.

For the water dish - you can take a bigger bucket and clip it to the fence with a carabiner or a bolt snap - this will keep your pup from tipping it.

The mister is a great idea.

My dogs are outside most of the day, since I am too. Most of them sleep outside, too, now that it is hayfever season. So they are very acclimated to the weather - it is almost 90 and very humid here now. But I'm using two dogs to get chores done at any one time to save steps for them - even Ann is having to pitch in now (she teams up with Doug the Dog).

Wife took him to get groomed, and they butchered his hair. I agreed to let them 'thin it a little' but they just gave him a buzz cut. It'll grow back, but he looks sooo bad. I'm pretty pissed about it :/

Its still plenty long he won't sun burn, but ergh.. he looks horrible. They left his head and tail uncut, so he looks REALLY funny. Everyone thinks he's cute, but I feel sorry for him.

Put ice in the water bucket. You can also freeze milk jugs and put them in his dog house. Kiddie pools are great for cooling off.

Is this kennel run all concrete? if so maybe a fan to create a breeze ( if ice is in front you have instant AC. ) If the bottom is dirt~ he may dig to get cooler earth.

Since he got an low cut. It mite be cooler.

Hi There Sky92X. I'm in the Sacramento area also. Our dogs aren't in a run and we have plenty of shade in the yard. However, a wading pool is a definite must - my dogs are in it from early in the morning on. Being able to play in the wading pool also tends to keep them from playing in the water bucket (although Loki, our youngest, has decided that playing in the toilet bowl is a great alternative, so now we have a childproof lock on the lid). Misters on a timer work great also and can cool things down quite a bit. However, on the really bad hot days when the heat just sits and no Delta breeze in sight, we do bring them in until it cools off a bit in the evening.