BC Boards

Stockdog Savvy

Jeanne Joy

Hi,

If you ordered a copy of Storey's Herding Dog Handbook by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle-Taylor and Ty Taylor from Amazon (or another bookseller) — get your money back. We went with a different publisher. The book has been retitled, Stockdog Savvy and is being published by Alpine. If you want to be on a list to receive information when it is available to order, please email alpinecsr@aol.com or you can check the educational page on the Hartnagle website: http://www.lasrocosa.com/education.html

All the best,

Jeanne Joy

• 4 months later...

Coming Soon................................

Stockdog Savvy by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle-Taylor and Ty Taylor

ABOUT THE BOOK:

Whether you are interested in training dogs for practical work on the ranch or as a hobby Stockdog Savvy will be an invaluable handbook. Over 300 pages illustrated with diagrams and how-to photographs galore!

Stockdog Savvy also gives trainers, clinicians and judges an overview of many different herding dogs and types of livestock. It is the quintessential guide to owning, training, trialing, working or caring for your stockdog.

The Table of Contents:

Frontispiece: Just a Stockdog Story
Preface
Foreword by Ernie Hartnagle
Introduction
1 – HERDING DOGS
2 – WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A HERDING DOG
3 – PREPARING YOUR PUPPY
4 – LAYING THE FOUNDATION
5 – GETTING STARTED
6 – INTRODUCING A DOG TO STOCK
7 – MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR DOG'S TALENT
8 – DEVELOPING A USEFUL DOG
9 – THE OUTRUN
10 – DRIVING SKILLS
11 – BALANCE AND PENNING
12 – FOCUS ON SORTING
13 – BOUNDARY TRAINING FOR TENDING DOGS
14 – BASIC STOCKMANSHIP
15 – WORKING LARGE FLOCKS AND HERDS
16 – THE RANCH DOG
17– TRAINING ANIMALS
18 – POULTRY
19 – SHEEP
20 – GOATS
21 – CATTLE
22 – KEEPING LIVESTOCK
23 – THE TRIAL DOG
24 – TRIAL PROGRAMS
25 – WHAT JUDGES LOOK FOR
26 – OTHER ELEMENTS OF WORKING STOCKDOGS
Appendix -– BREED PROFILES

If you want to be notified when Stockdog Savvy is available (approximately mid-December 2009 - in time for Christmas), please contact:

Alpine Publications
800-777-7257
http://www.alpinepub...kdog_savvy.html
E-mail: alpinecsr@aol.com
Fax 970-921-5081

Or you can visit the Education page on our website: http://www.lasrocosa.../education.html

post-10067-1253382915_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I recently ordered "Stockdog Savvy" from Amazon marketplace. I think I paid five bucks. But it is not the book represented here. It is by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle, but it is a small, comb-bound book of 48 pages. (I had to count 'em - no page numbers!) The copyright date is 1989. Mayhaps I have a collector's item?

It seemed, to my uninformed eyes to be a useful little book for someone training a beginning sheepdog. I have no practical application for it at the moment, but I'm interested in the subject for possible future application. Can't wait to see the new and expanded edition.

Hi Geonni,

That was the companion booklet for the Herding Videos, Herding I, II and III we did in 1989:

post-10067-1256314253_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Jeanne Joy

http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/people/jeanne-hartnagle-taylor

Hi Geonni,

That was the companion booklet for the Herding Videos, Herding I, II and III we did in 1989:

post-10067-1256314253_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Jeanne Joy

Is the DVD set shown in the picture still available? I'm interested.

Yes, here is a video sample:

You can find more information about them on our website:

http://www.lasrocosa.com/herdingdvd.html

Or at Canine Training Systems:

http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/people/jeanne-hartnagle-taylor

Yes, here are a couple of links to video samples:

http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/viewe...rc=H-HART-1A.rm

http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/viewe...rc=H-HART-2A.rm

You can find more information about them on our website:

http://www.lasrocosa.com/herdingdvd.html

Thanks! It's on my list for AFTER Xmas!

• 3 months later...

It is off the press and here are some of the book reviews:

Stockdog Savvy is a compendium of information about livestock dogs and their training and service to farmers, ranchers and hobby trainers as well. Having known Jeanne Joy and her dedication to working dogs and their activities readers will receive a rich reward for her talents in his book. A must read book for stock dog trainers. – E. B. Raley (Crawford Texas)

~~~

Border Collie Museum, June 2010:

I was pleasantly surprised to read Stockdog Savvy (co-authored by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle’s husband, Ty Taylor) and find that not only can Jeanne Joy Hartnagle do great things with stockdogs, but she can write as well. Jeanne Joy is an American stockdog handler and trainer, and an instructor who has worked with cattle ranchers, the US Department of Agriculture, and the US Department of the Interior, managing cattle in yards and on the open range. She has titled dogs in all areas of competition and is a national and international judge of Australian Shepherds.

Stockdog Savvy takes the reader from the characteristics of herding dogs all the way through to training an effective trialing dog. Jeanne Joy has an approach that would be successful for all herding breeds. The book is packed with black and white photographs illustrating the moves she is describing. I like the fact that Jeanne Joy uses photos of a variety of people, including children, not just of herself and her own family. I also enjoyed the profiles she has scattered throughout the book (for example, she has one of Bruce Fogt, a successful American sheepdog trialist and Border Collie trainer).

A big plus is Jeanne Joy’s use of positive methods for training without the excessive dependence on treats that some positive trainers use. She says upfront that clicker training is probably inappropriate for teaching herding. She contrasts the positive and negative aspects of many of the traits that herding exhibit (for example, noise sensitivity, assertiveness, timidity, etc.) and indicates how to handle dogs that have these traits. Throughout the book, there are tricks for problem solving.

Although at the back of Stockdog Savvy is an appendix giving the profiles of more than sixty herding breeds, the book does seem to lean toward the collie breeds, probably because Jeanne Joy knows them the best. Throughout, although much is said about the dogs themselves, it is evident that Jean Joy’s aim is to teach novices how to BE a stockdog handler. The book has a decidedly American West flavor, which is most obvious in the section on commands. If I have one criticism, it would be that too many commands are presented, some of them redundant; and even though I am myself an American, I found a few confusingly regional.

This book is a great resource for experienced handlers, and an excellent manual for the beginning handler, and will be a book that I recommend in the future when asked, as I often am as the owner of The Shepherd’s Dog online bookstore. - Carole Presberg

~~~

Western Horseman Magazine - October 2010:

Stockdog Savvy (310 page paperback / Alpine Publications) by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle-Taylor and Ty Taylor, Foreword by Ernest Hartnagle.

On many ranches and farms, herding dogs are often used to assist in moving sheep, cattle and other livestock. These dogs are not only working animals, but also companions to their owners. In Stockdog Savvy, Jeanne Joy and Ty Taylor collaborate on presenting their experiences with herding dogs to bring an entertaining and educational training book to readers.

Not focusing on one specific herding breed, but touching on characteristics and training practices for breeds ranging from Australian Shepherds to Rottweilers, the Taylors are concise in their descriptions and suggestions.

“You will want to assess his degree of sensitivity,” they write. “The average Collie (Smooth or Rough) or Shetland Sheepdog, for example, will not tolerate rough handling and may shut down completely. In contrast, the average Australian Cattle Dog, Rottweiler or Catahoula may require a firmer hand.”

Stockdog Savvy takes a stockdog owner from the process of beginning basic training through advanced training for working dogs or for dogs that are to perform in trials and competition. The problem-solving aspects of this book are useful for not only those who are considering further training or want to break a bad habit, but also for those who are experienced dog handlers and need a solution to an ongoing problem.

Though Stockdog Savvy is an educational book for herding dog enthusiasts it contains an entertaining quality, with quotes and short stories on stockdogs and their owners. There are short profiles on dog trainers like John Payne and the famous blue Heeler Skidboot.

Intermixed with the instructions and descriptions, the Taylors have included photographs of working dogs in various training situations and real-life encounters to aid in the reader’s assessment of each lesson. – Ross Hecox

western-horseman-review.jpg

Stockdog Journal, May/June 2010:

The book, Stockdog Savvy (Alpine Press, 2010) by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle-Taylor and her husband, cowboy-singer Ty Taylor shows the writing savvy and the herding knowledge of this team. Like good stockdogs, Jeanne and Ty round up the best information available and corral it between the covers into 300 pages of information that will appeal to both seasoned trainers and novices.

The authors both “walk the talk” with lives so immersed in the working dog culture that this stuff is second nature to them. Because they know their material this well, they are able to eliminate the jargon and speak to the reader in simple language that bridges the gap between the seasoned handler and enthusiastic beginner.

Previously, one would need to stack up at least five whole books on a table to cover the material covered in this one book – from the roots to the future of herding, a description of herding breeds, stockdog training methods, livestock care and management and a look at herding trials. The information is current, comprehensive and useful – just as herding dogs are useful to have on the farm or ranch.

The chapters covering livestock alone make this book a worthwhile addition to the herding library. Stockmanship is often the least accessible aspect of herding to the newly emerging ‘urban herder.’ Those who wish to understand livestock used for herding trials will find the information enlightening. Those who take the next step and acquire livestock need to know what to get, where to get it and how to keep it.

Finally, the breed profiles build on the work of Vergil Holland in his book Herding Dogs, describing the known herding breeds in detail. There are the usual suspects – Aussies, Border Collies, German Shepherds; rare and old breeds that are becoming known in North America, such as the Barbet and the Ovelheiro Gaucho; and then there are the breeds one rarely sees in trials or working on farms, such as the Poodle and the Airedale, along with a description of their working style.

It’s a lot of stuff packed into one book, rightfully touted as the most complete guide to date. And kudos to Jeanne Joy for making this book an experience in keeping with today’s integrated technologies. There is the book, the blog, the DVDs on herding training and links to the Las Rocosa’s educational website. The blog, found at:

http://stockdogsavvy.wordpress.com/ is worth a visit to get a taste of everything the book offers.

This is a savvy approach to sharing the information with a vast audience, and it works both ways as Jeanne has worked tirelessly (hmmm, like one of her own working dogs) to request information, input and feedback from people around the world to ensure the most current information is offered to herding enthusiasts.

People will delight in the photos of people we all recognize – some friends, some well-known trainers and competitors – along with photos and mentions of well-known, well-loved dogs. Jeanne and Ty succeed in making the big world of herding seem a little smaller by including the people who share their passion within these pages. In my own herding circles I have encouraged friends to contact Jeanne and know people who Jeanne has interviewed for this book. This alone makes the book feel intensely personal and even more enjoyable.

My experience is with Border Collies, German Shepherds and Rough Collies. This book appeals to both sides of my nature. I love that the image of Jeanne’s own Border Collie Reanna graces the pages of this book. It is a lovely personal touch. When Jeanne describes how Reanna taught her to step BACK to widen her outrun, I am drawn right in, with memories of my own dogs – my teachers.

We all gravitate to dogs that mirror our personalities and behaviors. Based on this, I have come up with an equation to describe the new herding book Stockdog Savvy:

Herding dogs need to herdand Hartnagles need to write about herding dogs!

And we are the beneficiaries of this equation. - Donna Brinkworth

~~~

post-10067-1285070649_thumb.jpg