BC Boards

"Time Well Spent" DVD by Aled Owen

NancyO

I recently purchased Aled Owens new DVD "Time Well Spent" and have really enjoyed watching it.

First I really like the title, which Aled refers to the time spent in training up a dog properly, is time well spent.

In the video, Aled takes several different young dogs and shows how he does thier beginning training (including his recent International Supreme Champion Roy), up thro driving and shedding. It's nice to see how he handles dogs that are just beginning thier training, including one he refers to as the "little bulldozer"

Aled does a voice over to explain what is going on during each training session. So everything is easy to hear during the video. Enjoyed listening to his accent too :rolleyes: (did not have any problem understanding him with his accent)

I have been surprisingly drawn back to the video over and over again, to watch the flow of the training. Maybe because I have several young dogs that I am training up at present.

I found it was money well spent.

Nancy O

Thanks for the review Nancy. I still have some of my bonus left over and I'm thinking that this DVD and the recent Derek Scrimgeour one would be nice additions to my collection!

P.S. I bought one of those Flip camcorders and am having great fun with it!

P.P.S. Did you order from Border Collies in Action or somewhere else?

J.

Julie,

Got it from Border Collies in Action.

Unfortunately my flip video stopped working, I really liked it, returned it and had to get something different, not as easy to use, liked the flip video better. My friend's flip video is working fine

The 2 DVD's are different, and therefore worth getting both. Hard to exactly explain, but I would say Derek's is like looking at a written blueprint of what you want to accomplish. Great in that things are slowed down and you have time to see what you are trying to accomplish. If I were a novice person, trying to figure out how to train up a dog, I would want this video. It also has very good explanation about driving, shedding and look back.

Aled gives a very good explanation of what and how he is trying to accomplish, but more in the context of actually working the dog. May not be as easy for a novice handler to understand.

Hope this kinda makes sense.

Nancy O

I recently purchased Aled Owens new DVD "Time Well Spent" and have really enjoyed watching it.

First I really like the title, which Aled refers to the time spent in training up a dog properly, is time well spent.

In the video, Aled takes several different young dogs and shows how he does thier beginning training (including his recent International Supreme Champion Roy), up thro driving and shedding. It's nice to see how he handles dogs that are just beginning thier training, including one he refers to as the "little bulldozer"

Aled does a voice over to explain what is going on during each training session. So everything is easy to hear during the video. Enjoyed listening to his accent too :rolleyes: (did not have any problem understanding him with his accent)

I have been surprisingly drawn back to the video over and over again, to watch the flow of the training. Maybe because I have several young dogs that I am training up at present.

I found it was money well spent.

Nancy O

Hello Nancy,

My name`s Deb.,

I help Aled with the dogs/pups and office 'stuff'...also, I edited, transcoded and manufactured the NTSC 525/60 versions of "Time Well Spent" discs for Aled to sell overseas.

I wonder (by way of a slightly technical query) your opinions on how you found the overall (on-screen) color saturation correctness whilst playing and was the DVD playing-flow during the cross-chapter break points continuous?

Those were the two issues that gave me greatest problems getting right during the difficult technical conversion from U.K to U.S DVD/Tv standards.

I tested the final U.S DVD product version carefully here (as best I could) before releasing to market, but having feedback from a 'real' U.S viewer would be a great help for the future. :D

BTW: the 'Little Bulldozer' was Aled`s "Spot" whose young career was interrupted for a year by a stifle-ligament injury; happily, 'Spot' is back to full health and is competing superbly......the other youngster-dog featured with him was indeed "Roy"; all grown-up and now ISDS Supreme Int. Sheepdog Ch. 'Roy' (266416)

Kind regards,

Deb. and the Clever Collies : Tegwen, Cody & Metheny

Hello Nancy,

My name`s Deb.,

I help Aled with the dogs/pups and office 'stuff'...also, I edited, transcoded and manufactured the NTSC 525/60 versions of "Time Well Spent" discs for Aled to sell overseas.

I wonder (by way of a slightly technical query) your opinions on how you found the overall (on-screen) color saturation correctness whilst playing and was the DVD playing-flow during the cross-chapter break points continuous?

Those were the two issues that gave me greatest problems getting right during the difficult technical conversion from U.K to U.S DVD/Tv standards.

I tested the final U.S DVD product version carefully here (as best I could) before releasing to market, but having feedback from a 'real' U.S viewer would be a great help for the future. :rolleyes:

BTW: the 'Little Bulldozer' was Aled`s "Spot" whose young career was interrupted for a year by a stifle-ligament injury; happily, 'Spot' is back to full health and is competing superbly......the other youngster-dog featured with him was indeed "Roy"; all grown-up and now ISDS Supreme Int. Sheepdog Ch. 'Roy' (266416)

Kind regards,

Deb. and the Clever Collies : Tegwen, Cody & Metheny

Hi Deb,

sorry I did not see this post till now.

First let me say the entire video was extremely well done. Great job!

color saturation correctness

I don't know much, OK nothing, about color saturation, but the colors were beautiful in the video.

was the DVD playing-flow during the cross-chapter break points continuous

The video flowed nicely from one section to another without lag time.

The voice over by Aled, explaining what was going on, while still being able to hear his voice during the actual training was correct also.

I can't say enough good things about this video and continue to go back to it again and again.

By the way, a friend who is a novice/novice handler borrowed the video. She felt she was able to get alot out of the video also.

Nancy O

Hi Deb,

sorry I did not see this post till now.

First let me say the entire video was extremely well done. Great job!

I don't know much, OK nothing, about color saturation, but the colors were beautiful in the video.

The video flowed nicely from one section to another without lag time.

The voice over by Aled, explaining what was going on, while still being able to hear his voice during the actual training was correct also.

I can't say enough good things about this video and continue to go back to it again and again.

By the way, a friend who is a novice/novice handler borrowed the video. She felt she was able to get alot out of the video also.

Nancy O

Cool!.....thanks for that Nancy, `great to know the "Time Well Spent" video is appreciated and is proving useful to experienced and noviciate, alike; I`ll be sure to let Aled know that too! :rolleyes:

Well my DVD came today and I was watching it as soon as I could get it open :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed it and plan on watching it again tomorrow just to get everything out of the video. Visually everything was beautiful! Smooth. Crisp!

Apart from what Nancy said about the video, I really liked how he explained that he sees his dogs as useful partners and thats how/where most of his training comes from. He puts a purpose behind the work and then says how it's important/relates if you choose to go on to trials. I think this is where the dogs learn the most.

Thanks for such a great video.

I got mine last week. Did anyone else have a problem playing it on their DVD player??? Mine will play on the computer, but not on the living room DVD. It plays just fine at a friends on an ancient player, so I can't figure out the problem. My DVD player works just fine on Blockbuster disks.

Any suggestions?

I liked it well enough on the first run through, but now am so pissed about the player thing, I haven't watched it again since. I kind of wish it was cut up into chapters so you could go to one section easier. I also wish it contained more of the 'OOPS" moments, so we could all identify with the dog training a bit more!!!

Okay, my player isn't THAT ancient. It is under 5 yo. It was cheap, not old.

I liked the DVD enough to purchase my own copy. I agree with Marilyn, however. There are some big training steps that were left out of it. For example, how to get that FREAKING terrific stop on a dog?! And what to do when things go awry (such as with most of my training with the young dogs)? And, what to do with a monster of a gripping dog? And, etc..

I think there should be a sequel.

Cheers!

I got mine last week. Did anyone else have a problem playing it on their DVD player??? Mine will play on the computer, but not on the living room DVD. It plays just fine at a friends on an ancient player, so I can't figure out the problem. My DVD player works just fine on Blockbuster disks.

Any suggestions?

I liked it well enough on the first run through, but now am so pissed about the player thing, I haven't watched it again since. I kind of wish it was cut up into chapters so you could go to one section easier. I also wish it contained more of the 'OOPS" moments, so we could all identify with the dog training a bit more!!!

Computer mounted DVD/CD drives will replay pretty-much all discs without any problems.....however, some domestic DVD players will replay only some of the now-myriad DVD formats; for, although all DVD`s are shiny and round, there are big differences in what`s on them and in what format....it`s unbelievable, but until recently there was no definitive standard for DVD player performance....using only an 'informal' broad-agreement it was really down to the individual player`s manufacturers as to how they specified, built and tested their products.

This led to the situation of some commercial discs playing on old machines and not new ones.

There is now an international (ISO) agreement, which includes the new (highly-compressed) DivX format, so on machines made/purchased from now-on there shouldn`t be this type of problem......of course, none of the foregoing helps you Marilyn; sorry :rolleyes:

The U.K version of Time Well Spent is one, hour-long presentation (as per Aled`s wish) which I thought was rather inflexible to watch; for the U.S (525/60 NTSC) version I split it into 4 discrete chapters.

.....I think (perhaps) Aled`s intent was to allow the student-handler (viewers) to make their-own "Oops moments" (as do I with my dog handling!) :D

Kind regards,

Deb and the dogs: Tegwen, Cody & Metheny

[quote My name`s Deb.,

Hi Deb, Do you know of any recent litter or litter due by Aled's Bob, I am interested in getting a BOB pup

Hope you read my message/Question above Deb.......

Hi 'Border Collie'

Aled doesn`t have any Bob-litters/pups. at the present; he asks me to post them on his web-site 'only' when he has them available; so I`d check by the 'Aled Owen Sheepdogs' website at least once a week to check on availability.

Bob is still standing at-stud so there will surely be litters later in the Spring. :rolleyes:

FYI: Bob x Dot and Bob x Mie are expected early 2008 matings

Kind regards,

Deb.

Hi 'Border Collie'

Aled doesn`t have any Bob-litters/pups. at the present; he asks me to post them on his web-site 'only' when he has them available; so I`d check by the 'Aled Owen Sheepdogs' website at least once a week to check on availability.

Bob is still standing at-stud so there will surely be litters later in the Spring. :rolleyes:

FYI: Bob x Dot and Bob x Mie are expected early 2008 matings

Kind regards,

Deb.

Thanks for reply Deb.

Do you know of any recent covering to Bob by an outside breeder that might have or will have pups soon?

Thanks

The DVD "Time Well Spent" is a "burned" DVD-r. Your Blockbuster disks are "replicated". Replicated disks are much more reliable and durable than DVD-r's that are burned. Just think of the commercial audio CD's that bounce around in the car and still play for years. Try that with one you "burn" yourself. Same with DVD's. The key in producing DVD's that are the most compatible with the most players is to use a top quality blank disc and do the encoding to mpeg at a very high bit rate. Time Well Spent is a relatively short title and so could easily fit on a DVD at a high bit rate. Also it is burned on a RitekG05 disc(at least the two I have are) which would not be our disk of choice. The brand name on a disc doesn't make any difference. It is the disc manufacturer that counts and the type of dye etc. etc.. All this doesn't help you one bit Marilyn T but it lets you know why!

Thanks for reply Deb.

Do you know of any recent covering to Bob by an outside breeder that might have or will have pups soon?

Thanks

Deb, I Would really appreciate if you could forward info or find out if there was any outside Breeders that brought a bitch to Bob recently that might have pups or due to have pups. Thanks

P.s If you wish you can email me privately the info