BC Boards

Breeding has nothing to do with functionality?

zenotri

Thanks, guys. I'm not surprised that it sank without a ripple, though. You're right -- conformation breeders are heavily invested in believing that their "life's work" is "something important" that "deserves respect and a pat on the back" (in Steve's words). To cling to that belief, it's necessary to believe a lot of other things that to an outside observer are transparently false. I can remember during the dog wars a lot of AKC advocates saying that in Australia show Border Collies went straight from the paddocks to the show ring with only a little grooming in between. It's interesting to me that nobody on this Australian board is saying that about Border Collies, even if they're claiming it (in what is probably quite an overstatement) for other breeds. Edited to add: It's awfully hard to believe that good working LGDs are shown at dog shows -- aren't they supposed to bond with their sheep and be suspicious of strange people and dogs?

Great post, Pearse.

Just a thought. How about a "prove it"?

Is there anyone currently planning to breed a pair of great working dogs? We know the AKC gang breed theirs regularly. Would they breed their current "Best" with their "Best opposite sex" now. We know the working dogs would be trained to work. Let the AKC decide with whom to put their litter.

Sure, it would take years. But we could follow the progress. And see how the dogs stack up.

The person that made the original statement is obviously in some other world...

I am pretty new to Border Collies and herding, and I am in awe EVERY SINGLE DAY when I work my dog...the fact that my pup went out at 6 months old having NEVER SEEN ANY KIND OF LIVESTOCK in her life and did a perfect mini outrun and went to balance and stopped...

How can a person say that is environment?!?!?! My pup was never raised around stock??

Ugh...shaking my head...

Pardon my language but people like that should not have the priviledge to own a Border Collie.

Loretta

Just a postscript to this thread. I finally decided enough was enough & on the 20th page I bowed out of the discussion with these words:

"If anyone feels they have gained a greater appreciation for what the working BC is and can see the value in preserving it, as a result of reading this thread, please feel free to PM me...I could do with some cheering up. To know that even one person has found it valuable might make some of us feel that this has not been a complete waste of time."

Well I'm happy to report that I received a number of PM's from people, whose views have changed & whose eyes have been opened about just how amazing and complex our breed really is and who now see the value in preserving something so unique.

So thank you all, not only to those who chimed in & helped, but to all of you on this forum who constantly inspire me to want to fight for the real BC.

Vickie

Thank you, Vickie, for taking the time and effort to post on that board in spite of intense opposition.

That was a very clever idea to mention that you'd welcome PMs. You got positive feedback that you wouldn't have realized was there otherwise.

You made an effort and you made a difference!