BC Boards

New pup :)

Hello all, I got a new pup, Zygy (Ziggy) at 9 weeks, he is about 4 months old now. His mom was border collie/australian shepherd and his dad was rough collie/german shepherd. They are working "ranch dogs" on a cattle farm.

Decided to join some border collie forums as he is aging and seems to be taking on some of the personality. He can really get an intense eye at times when he is focusing on something and doesn't think his 'job' should ever end (right now the job is fetch). He is an extremely active and intelligent pup but I haven't given him any bad habits yet.

He was really skittish and scared but has since come out of his shell after we starting going to a "puppy class" for manners. The socialization with other pups that don't scare him was a huge help.

This is my first herding type dog, in the past I had Golden Retrievers and a Siberian Husky. So there will be a lot of learning!

34450323801_22b0488ec9.jpg

34580841665_504ce3ba08.jpg

34575619921_16f200118c.jpg

34575613331_0cda9af79f.jpg

33864099954_3ff468bb2f.jpg

34667459662_b7a24415a2.jpg

34698532491_d6e70188f2.jpg

34444348270_81cb5997ce.jpg

34830745435_d0c2c50206.jpg

Gorgeous pup!

He looks like he could be purebred border collie, except for the amount of tan. Not surprising for a border collie/Aussie mix, but more so with other breeds thrown in. Will be interesting to see how he changes as he gets older. I hope you'll post more pics as he grows.

Thank you! He sure is a fun guy!

What do you mean by amount of tan? Borders can come in the same color, can't they? It's just uncommon unlike Aussies?

He has been changing a lot as he grows. When he was 8 weeks his head looked more like a standard collie, his nose was narrow and his eyes were closer together and smaller but his head seems to be "normalized" now and is looking more border.

I have never had a mix before so I find how he is changing pretty fascinating because I don't exactly know what I will end up with. I think he may grow into a big boy unless his growth slows down. He was 25 lbs at the last vet visit and he was 1 week shy of 4 months.

Daddy was a big boy though from the German Shepherd in him.

Cute! And great coloring! Our last bc was a bc/ black German Shepherd mix and she was the best dog we've ever had. Our new pup is bc/Aussie mix and she is awesome as well. Your pup should turn out to be an awesome dog they are all good breeds in my opinion.

Border collies can indeed be tri-colored. But most of them arguably tend to have less well defined tan markings.

And then there's my little stinker. This is Midge, also just turning 4 months old. Sometimes they paint job can be a little wild. ;)

What a CUTE puppy! I hope you'll come back to share more photos as he grows. :wub:

My border mix is a trip with cream instead of tan. He also has black and cream ticking. I also had a mostly white blue merle. Maybe one day I'll have a classic black and white, but what's the fun in that?!?!

Beautiful puppy!

I too had Golden Retrievers for years. Sold on Border Collies now. Our puppy was born on Valentines day. We shall need to

go to puppy classes as well. We were waiting till she got her rabies shot. Such fun.

Beautiful puppy!

I too had Golden Retrievers for years. Sold on Border Collies now. Our puppy was born on Valentines day. We shall need to

go to puppy classes as well. We were waiting till she got her rabies shot. Such fun.

I have both a golden and a border. The combination is an awesome balance.

If I wasn't in an apartment, I would love to have two dogs, one golden and one herding type.

I had thought about getting another golden but cancer is so prevalent in their breed. It is the one major pitfall that is hard to ignore. I decided I would try something different this time. My golden (Jem) has a white face now and is retired living a very spoiled life with my parents in the countryside.

Took Zygy for a 1.5 hour walk today and then went to puppy class for 1.5 hours... really wore me and him out! ^_^

If I wasn't in an apartment, I would love to have two dogs, one golden and one herding type.

I had thought about getting another golden but cancer is so prevalent in their breed. It is the one major pitfall that is hard to ignore. I decided I would try something different this time. My golden (Jem) has a white face now and is retired living a very spoiled life with my parents in the countryside.

Took Zygy for a 1.5 hour walk today and then went to puppy class for 1.5 hours... really wore me and him out! ^_^

My golden is almost 8 and had 2 mast cell tumors removed last year. So I definitely get it. Two months later, I had to help my 16.5 year old bc to the bridge. A very emotional time. Anyway, zygy is so lucky to have a dedicated owner and I'm looking forward to pictures as he grows! It will be interesting to see how he looks as an adult!

I am picking up a pup in a week.

He is split-faced, ticked, white factored, with creeping tri.

He's a mix ('herding dog for working farm' sort - really, literally, bred to work) but largely BC. I cannot even imagine what people are going to make of him.

Hmm. She looks like she might be a saddle back sable. But is there also some brindle going on there, or is it just the way the black tips are laying?

Wow! I have been looking online for a while now (mostly for "smooth coat tri-color") but never saw saddle back sable. After reading the BC museum site description, it sounds like her and the pictures look so much like her! Like the description, she had a lot more black coloring when she was a puppy and now as an adult some of the black has receded, except for right below her ears, her back and top of her tail.

I've often thought her brown/tan areas on her face looked brindle too, but wasn't sure. (She's our first BC and I'm new to all of this still. :) ) Now I'll need to take a closer look once she wakes up from her nap!

Edit: Here's a picture when she was about 10 or 11 weeks old.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2KX01TycIGmR2pKQU9Bc0lodVU

My girl's got seal points going on.

But IIRC Molly's not a purebred border collie, right? Even a small percentage of another breed could skew the color genetics, so I IMO representing her as a border collie is a little disingenuous, is it not? Not meaning to be rude or disrespectful, but IMO things like this are in the details.

But IIRC Molly's not a purebred border collie, right? Even a small percentage of another breed could skew the color genetics, so I IMO representing her a border collie is a little disingenuous, is it not? Not meaning to be rude or disrespectful, but IMO things like this are in the details.

Excuse typos. Mobile.we don't know for sure. There is one questionable grand parent but of the is a mix it's of acd and that theory was because dad had ticking. So fair call out, but she didn't get SEAL from acd either.