BC Boards

Whistle

Luana

so, it looks like I can use a whistle :) !

today my trainer gave to me a spare whistle she had to let me try, and by the time I got home, I was playing "titanic" :)

now, I can probably say this is the only easy part of the training for me.

I want to start to use the whistle for recall and lie down commands, so that when I get nervous, does not show much.

can I pick any sound right? for the lie down is it best to use a single tone, very sharp?

can you suggest any video I can watch on youtube so that I can start to practice?

if I will just mimic the same sounds my trainer use, will my dog be able to know when I'm using my whistle? any preference for the whistle to buy?

Derek Fisher has a whistle CD and DVD that just came out. You can check them out and order through www.bcollies.com. There are also a couple others that have been produced in the past but I don'the know their availability.

Whistling CDs by Kent Kuykendall and Alasdair MacRae are both still available. Both are very good. Also, Nij Vyas has a short video on YouTube with a few of his whistles. Google Nij Vyas Sheepdog Whistle Commands - Outtakes. I like his come-bye whistle but mine always comes out different.

Another great resource for hearing lots of different whistles is the video membership with Catbird Video (there is a link listed in the video section of the bc boards). Gives you the opportunity to hear the whistles of many top handlers while they are working their dogs, great to whistle along to as well. Plus you can learn lots about trial handling from the videos.

What everyone else has said. Also, be sure your flank whistles don't start on the same tone that will be confusing for your dog. When you decide on the set you will use make sure you feel comfortable using them and that they come out consistant.

Samantha