Another needless dog attack

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 CptJack

CptJack

• Registered Users
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yep ~ I think of it as a kind of control thing. 'If you'd just raised your dog(s) correctly and not beaten them every day/fed them cheap kibble/socialized them correctly' they'd be fine!'

And the implication is 'MY wonderful dog is SOOOO wonderful solely because I did everything right. Neener neener'.

Gah.

Ruth & Gibbs

This happens in all areas of life. 

It's a way of 'protecting themselves' from the reality that they, too, could have a dog with serious issues.   If something tragic happens it must be the fault of some action or inaction or decision made.  It can't be something outside their control. If it was, they'd have to acknowledge that it could happen to them.  And, sadly, they can't do that - or, more infuriatingly, won't. 

#82 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

^^^. This.

Ruth & Gibbs

#83 Donald McCaig

Donald McCaig

Geezer

• Registered Users
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Dear Doggers,

Genetics rule. My Border Collies are - in differing degrees - obsessive.  My rescue coonhound uses his bark to express joy and as a weapon of intimidation with other dogs (he can chase our least powerful guard dog off her food).  Once he's learned something (recall, housebreaking) he forgets less readily than the Border Collies and he's stubborn in ways they're not.

All this in a pleasant, intelligent, happy pet dog.  I'd have to see a lot more coonhounds before I could decide which of his actions are genetic and which individual. He's rain phobic - maybe that's personal.

Donald McCaig

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.