BC Boards

Will this even be worth it, or completely useless?

Flamincomet

I've been looking for someone in my area for a while that can help me learn how to work Spirit on sheep, but there doesn't seem to be anyone reputable less than 6 hours away. The local AKC kennel club is made up of mostly herding group people, who are getting together a herding group, and asked me if I wanted to join. I don't know what my plans are for Spirit yet, but they definitely don't include AKC trials. I'm not sure we'll even be good enough to trial at all. But Spirit loves to work stock, and I love it too (even if I am horrible at it :rolleyes: ), and I am considering joining just for the sake of being able to work her. Is this something that could possibly compromise any chances of trialing in the future? I plan to still attend clinics when I can, and take that back with me to use, as I'm doubtful as to the level of training I would be able to accomplish within this group alone.

Here are some videos of Spirit and I at the Patrick Shannahan clinic earlier this year. (Excuse my awkwardness and inability to keep up with the sheep :D )

Also, I live near Moscow, ID, if anyone happens to know of other alternatives.

Please, keep it civil.

Autumn

Hi Autumn:

Try the USBCHA website. If you look under Association (on the left), you will see a link for the districts and officers in your region. I suggest that you contact the officer for your area. I contacted mine, and he happily pointed me in the direction of many reputable trainers that I could not find elsewhere.

Good luck!

Karrin

Autumn,

The fact that you're asking this question means that you're already aware that this group might not be suitable for your long-term goals. I think that as far as training goes, you'd be better off going to clinics when you can and getting to a regular USBCHA trainer when you can. As Julie W. noted, many times people in AKC groups tend to train for courses, and so their dogs never really learn to work stock in all situations (i.e., practical work). That's a gross generalization, I know, but to me it would be far more productive to learn, even if the opportunity arises much less often, from someone who is doing the same type of work I ultimately want my dog to be doing.

If there's a way to be part of this club and just work your dog without taking instruction, then it might be useful. But you have to be aware that folks will try to influence how you train (it's human nature) and you'll have to be clear what your training goals are and what methods you want to use (like Pat Shannahan's) and stick to your guns on that. Also be aware that with many AKC groups, training for courses means using very broke stock (sometimes sour stock as a result of poor dog training) and very small spaces, something that might not translate well if you later want to work/trial in larger areas on range sheep.

Again, if this group can offer you the opportunity to work sheep on your own doing something other than practicing courses, it might be worth joining. I guess the thing to do would be to go and observe and see what you think before actually committing.

J.

If you want to do it right, stay away from that AKC stuff.

Have you considered visiting Norm Close?

Norm is pretty damn good.

He gives lessons, I believe.

He's in Coeur d' Alene.

http://www.handhillsbordercollies.com/

If it makes you more comfortable, you can tell him Charlie Torre sent

you - but I won't say if that will help you or hurt you in the long run.

I've been looking for someone in my area for a while that can help me learn how to work Spirit on sheep, but there doesn't seem to be anyone reputable less than 6 hours away. The local AKC kennel club is made up of mostly herding group people, who are getting together a herding group, and asked me if I wanted to join. I don't know what my plans are for Spirit yet, but they definitely don't include AKC trials. I'm not sure we'll even be good enough to trial at all. But Spirit loves to work stock, and I love it too (even if I am horrible at it :rolleyes: ), and I am considering joining just for the sake of being able to work her. Is this something that could possibly compromise any chances of trialing in the future? I plan to still attend clinics when I can, and take that back with me to use, as I'm doubtful as to the level of training I would be able to accomplish within this group alone.

Here are some videos of Spirit and I at the Patrick Shannahan clinic earlier this year. (Excuse my awkwardness and inability to keep up with the sheep :D )

Also, I live near Moscow, ID, if anyone happens to know of other alternatives.

Please, keep it civil.

Autumn

Hi Autumn. Norm and Vickie Close are only a few minutes from you and he is a good trainer as well as being the 2005 Canadian Champion. His outfit is Handhills Border Collies and he is in Couer d'Alene only a few minutes from Moscow. His number is on his website which I don't have right now at hand but give him a call. He will probably be leaving for the Nationals quite soon so call right away.

Best to get started right than just take whatever and I would recommend you steer clear of those other folks and get a proper start. Call Norm. That's the way to go.......Bob Stephens

I must agree, give Norm a call. You are also not that far from many other great trainers and handlers including Scot Glen. It would be well worth a trip up to Lethbridge to visit Scot. Scot can give you an idea of what goes on in southern Alberta and British Columbia. You are just a few hours in almost every direction from some great help. Also in the Kootenay / Cranbrook area there is always something going on you can get into all summer long with some top people.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I got more info, and was informed that this is actually NOT an AKC group, just that some AKC people attend. The instructor owns working border collies, and used to trial (I'm not sure which venue, or how high up she was). I went last Saturday, and had a great time. Spirit and I got to work 3 separate times. I'm working on putting pictures and more information on how it went in the picture forum.

I still would really like to take lessons from Norm, but at this time I'm not going to be able to afford to drive there and back plus the cost of the lessons. As it is I can only afford to go to these lessons every other week. That should change soon though, at least we are hoping.

• 6 years later...

Wow, I don't know these people as I live in a different country but if anyone hit my dog, my reaction would be instant and I would be out of there so fast. I have trained many dogs and violence is simply not required. Hitting a dog on the head is particularly bad. I use a stick to train with but I don't hit my dog with it. Good leadership does not require violence in my books.

That experience sounds totally psycho if indeed it occurred as reported, that I dont know.. It does sound slightly bizarre.

I'm wondering if this is either someone with a grudge (no real name given) and no specifics (like date and time), or a troll who's trying to cause trouble in general. This post, in both topics, is identical. If it was someone legitimate (and I can't vouch either way), you'd think they'd have more to say. I think I'd totally disregard this.

This is a Not True. I would like Eileen to delete. I talked to Norm this AM

Gross exaggeration.

I have left my dog with Norm and Vickie

He is doing my Judging Clinic

He is not on these boards.

not right.

I have reported this post to the moderator for her to determine what to do. I've also let her know that it is also copied to the other topic ("Herding?"). I am sure she will do the right thing.

I have made the post immediately preceding the last six posts unavailable. We do not allow posting of negative comments about breeders or trainers by people who are unwilling to provide their name and contact information. I will be contacting the poster to see if s/he is willing to identify him/herself.