BC Boards

If you could design the perfect dog walking service...

If I could afford it I would totally have someone come in and walk my dogs on my property whilst I am at work during the day. I would feel bad, however, about subjecting any unsuspecting person to the antics of the WooTWoo. I'd totally have to pay extra for emotional trauma ;-)

Good luck!

RDM

I would come up there and brush and smooch your orange dog for free! B) It would be an honor to experience his awesomeness! (His Awesomeness, as well!)

• 2 weeks later...

Simba: I don't think it's selfish at all, I think it's smart. I've heard some pretty crazy stories about the lengths that males will go to get at a female in heat, so it doesn't seem worth it to risk a potential pregnancy. Since my marketing plan focuses primarily on networking with local rescues, I'm hoping most of my clients will already be fixed. As you mentioned, some people have reasons for not getting their dogs fixed, so regardless if I agree with them or not (depends on their reason) as long as they're responsible about it I don't think it's my place to impose a restriction like that.

Marlynn: I agree. There's definitely a difference between being a leader and being an alpha. Emma is so shy that she'd be completely lost if she didn't have a confident leader to show her the way. It has nothing to do with dominating her, it's just being strong for her and showing her that the world isn't so scary after all. If I was nervous or left the decisions of where we go, what we do, etc. up to her she'd just freeze in fear. Then on the flip side, Rocco (a pit bull that I walked while my friends were dog sitting for his owner) was extremely pushy and a very smart opportunist, so I had to make sure to be consistent and strong otherwise he'd walk all over me. That never meant getting physical with him or anything like that, just making sure he understood that good behavior resulted in fun/tasty payoffs, and rude behavior meant confiscated toys, getting ignored, or stopping the walk (whatever was relevant to the situation). He caught on quick, and by the end of the week he was a star pupil with clicker training and had much better manners to show for it.

MrSnappy: To answer your first question: Heck yeah! But only if you pay for my gas, LOL. I see a lot of people here with high energy dogs (much like the one your friend works for) that appear to be in way over their heads, and could use the help. For people who have more money than they do time, it's definitely a good option. On a different tangent, I'm sorry to hear about all the bad dog luck you've been having lately! In my experience (albeit limited) bad things really do happen in threes, so hopefully that's the end of it. Oh, and did those piggies ever get adopted? If I didn't have six of my own already (currently singing VERY loudly for their nightly salad), I'd snatch those two up in a heartbeat.

Gloria: It was definitely a happy ending, that's for sure!

Jack and Co: I second that!

Dear Doggers,

Someone criticized my belief that anyone who takes my dog must be a pack leader and others have made choke chains a disqualification.

Which forced a realization: Those who hire dog walkers, for the most part, aren't us. (I'll leave whether that's a good thing for another time.)

For example: At the vet, my dogs are almost always off lead. The receptionist pages, a vet tech comes out and meets Donald with one or six off lead sheepdogs. If they're new to the practice this can be disconcerting. A couple weeks ago, I brought my newest, Fly, who is a piece of work. (I have her muzzled on the table. ) Anyway, as we're going back the new vet tech is chattering, "Good dog, oh what a good girl! in a high, happy voice."

I said, "If you keep doing that she's going to bite you. It makes dogs nervous."

So, if I were hiring a dog walker would I hire Ms. Chirppy? Probably not. Mr. Positive? Probably not. Ms. Shock collar? Probably not. Ms. Gentle Leader? Probably Not.

Like me you have strong preferences. But, friends, we are dog people and the average consumer of dog walking services has a dog, loves his/her dog. cares intensely about the dog and, in a tough economy, will spend money on the dog but . . .

They aren't dog people.

And our quarrels mean absolutely nothing to them. The professional dog walker ought to leave them in their happy ignorance. If they enjoy Cesar Milan, fine. If they think ecollars are portable electric chairs, fine. If they think Gentle Leaders are gentle, fine.

They hire you so Spot gets some exercise and doggy fun. They could care less about which side you occupy on the great doggy divide, much less what your theories might be.

They are trusting you with a precious being. It's a little like the school bus driver. What you must convey is authority, kindliness, interest in their dog and entire, absolute competence.

I may not trust a chirper, but I'm not your customer.

Donald McCaig

Dear Doggers,

Someone criticized my belief that anyone who takes my dog must be a pack leader and others have made choke chains a disqualification.

Which forced a realization: Those who hire dog walkers, for the most part, aren't us. (I'll leave whether that's a good thing for another time.)

For example: At the vet, my dogs are almost always off lead. The receptionist pages, a vet tech comes out and meets Donald with one or six off lead sheepdogs. If they're new to the practice this can be disconcerting. A couple weeks ago, I brought my newest, Fly, who is a piece of work. (I have her muzzled on the table. ) Anyway, as we're going back the new vet tech is chattering, "Good dog, oh what a good girl! in a high, happy voice."

I said, "If you keep doing that she's going to bite you. It makes dogs nervous."

So, if I were hiring a dog walker would I hire Ms. Chirppy? Probably not. Mr. Positive? Probably not. Ms. Shock collar? Probably not. Ms. Gentle Leader? Probably Not.

Like me you have strong preferences. But, friends, we are dog people and the average consumer of dog walking services has a dog, loves his/her dog. cares intensely about the dog and, in a tough economy, will spend money on the dog but . . .

They aren't dog people.

And our quarrels mean absolutely nothing to them. The professional dog walker ought to leave them in their happy ignorance. If they enjoy Cesar Milan, fine. If they think ecollars are portable electric chairs, fine. If they think Gentle Leaders are gentle, fine.

They hire you so Spot gets some exercise and doggy fun. They could care less about which side you occupy on the great doggy divide, much less what your theories might be.

They are trusting you with a precious being. It's a little like the school bus driver. What you must convey is authority, kindliness, interest in their dog and entire, absolute competence.

I may not trust a chirper, but I'm not your customer.

Donald McCaig

Hear, hear!

I have mobility issues and use a dog walker. Priority one for me is, my dog comes home in one piece, and not bloody. Priority two is, my dog comes home well-exercised and happy. My dog walker handles dogs a little differently than I do. But my dog is crazy about him, and she leaves and comes home happy. Yesterday I had her in to the vet for a check-up. He praised her fitness level, and health. (He also purred over her "table manners.") My first two criteria are being met. To me, the rest is window-dressing.

Dear Geezer et al,

We all live in different worlds and there's more than two groups we can be categorized into. Everyone needs something different and a good dogwalker/petsitter will tailor his/her service to each customer. I'm sure there's some that'll even growl and "alpha" roll your dogs for you if you look real hard. That's not what the OP wants to do though and as such is creating a unique niche service.

Of course there are some out there who would never be able to use an "off-the-shelf" service, but for the most part most of us can find a petsitter/dogwalker to meet our needs.

Well said everybody! Me and my service definitely aren't right for everybody, but my goal is to be a perfect fit for a select few. My reason for starting this business is so I can do what I love on a daily basis, and for me prong collars and alpha roles don't fit into that, so that's where I've chosen to draw my line. If my client is really into CM, or whatever else, that's fine, it's not my place to judge. As long as they understand and respect what i will, and will not do, I think that's really all that matters.

I've used dogwalkers for 10 years now. Pay about $500/month to have three dogs walked 4x/week. I use a dogwalker because I work out of the house, and I want the dogs to get some exercise as well as a break from holding down the floor during the day.

The dogwalkers that I have used take the dogs hiking off-leash. They're gone from the house for a couple of hours, and they're actually running in the trails for about an hour and a half. They run with maybe 6-8 other dogs, and 2-3 humans supervising the mayhem. The trails that they terrorize use are designated off-leash trails.

I've been very happy with the three companies I've used. I get photos of the dogs with "their friends" every now and again, which I really enjoy. I also am informed if there are any problems with my dogs. Wick used to wear a little mesh muzzle on her walks back in my old neighbourhood, because she ate so much dog poo (gross, I know. She seems to have out-grown that). Rex currently wears a muzzle at the beginning of the walk, because he gets a bit over-excited and could grab a tail as it ran by. Once he's settled into his walk, the muzzle comes off. I'm glad that my walkers tell me these things, so we can find solutions before it becomes a problem. Lou, of course, is perfect. smile.gif

I don't expect my walkers to train on my dogs. A pre-requisite for the service is a reliable recall, which my dogs have. Group hikes certainly aren't for all dogs, and I think the service you're offering fits a niche. Good luck!

I only use a dogwalker occasionally. I did use one every day for a period of a month or two a couple of years ago when DH had open-heart surgery; finding time when I could take the dog for a decent walk each day just wasn't in the cards at that point.

Most days Duncan comes to work with me. But on those occasions when I'm out of town, he'd much rather go for a hike midday than get shut in the house all day long. (We have a fenced back yard but I don't feel comfortable locking a dog outdoors all day long unsupervised).

Our dogwalker (an incredibly dog-savvy person, who knows more about dogs than any half-dozen average "dog people" stitched together) sounds a lot like Kristi's. He'll collect our dog mid-day, and will take a small pack of dogs (in the company of a couple of assistants) on a prolonged off-leash hike in the woods, often including a swim in a local stream (weather permitting; they do hike rain or shine). He'll return Duncan ~ 6 PM, as thoroughly filthy (usually) as he is happy and exhausted. For that he charges $20.

Before he'll accept a charge, he requires that the owner accompany him on an off-leash hike with his current pack. This gives him a chance to assess its interactions with other dogs, as well as its recall (and general obedience). Not every dog is accorded off-leash privileges. Some are never allowed off-leash in any form; others he may "couple" (with a double-ended leash) to a (larger) dog of appropriate temperament, with a solid recall. He also requires the owners submit a detailed form.

He won't throw balls or sticks for dogs while they're hiking; that is too likely to provoke unhappy interactions. Before I used him, I ran into him dozens of times while I was hiking, and got a chance to assess his interactions with his dogs. We had many chats about dogs before I ever hired him.

He'll also "board" dogs - they stay with him in his house, and get to sleep on his bed (if they're so inclined). Hikes during the day included, for a charge of $40 per day.

He posts photos each day on FB, and he also emails us short videos of the dogs taken out hiking. We can see how much fun they're having.

At the end of the day we get a detailed written report (or verbal, if we're home when they return). (In fact a colleague of mine stopped using him because she said he was too "high maintenance" - she thought she was getting TMI).

I'm sure this is not for everyone, but it's ideal for me when I'm out of town and know that DH is busy enough as single parent in my absence to be able to indulge in a long hike with the dog.

Oh: and he insists that dogs wear a martingale collar for leashing up before and after walks. It's the only requirement he makes, and I had no problem with purchasing such a collar for that purpose.

He won't do any training but I'm not sure how I'd feel about anyone else training my dog. I mainly want to make sure that a dogwalker insists on the manners I've already instilled.

You have a good plan here, but I think you need to reconsider a few things.

I own Connecticut Pet Sitter, LLC. Here is my experience:

1) You are going to get requests for visits AT noon from just about everybody who calls you.

2) You should always leave a daily report on how the dog did (some pet owners want to receive a text when you visit as well).

3) Keep your service area VERY VERY VERY VERY SMALL. I cannot stress this enough. You WILL find clients. DO NOT take clients from areas outside one or two (maybe three) surrounding towns (if your towns are small). I ended up covering a huge area and wasted a lot of money on gas.

4) Make a good website and research how to optimize Google search results. (And make a Google Places page).

5) Another one I cannot stress enough- contact other pet sitters in the area. Introduce yourself, tell them your plans for your business, and ask them what their specialty is. There are always going to be enough clients to go around. In my area especially, pet sitting is not a very competitive business. I refer people to other sitters all the time and get referrals back just as often. Often these pet sitting businesses are run by one or two people and there just isn't enough time to handle every appointment request (especially when they all want you to visit at noon).

6) Always answer your phone. A missed call is a missed opportunity.

7) Put a forum on your website where people can submit an inquiry to have you call them. Nobody likes to call you first, they want you to call them. Most of my clients come in this way.

8) Choose a professional name and go LLC. You will be more recognizable and more popular. "Cutie Pie Paws Pet Sitting" is not nearly as good (or memorable) as "Companion Animal Sitters" or something of the like.

Good luck :)

airbear:Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like your dogs have a lot of fun on their outings. The walker you use certainly sounds a lot more responsible than the ones here that offer off leash outings. Around here the walkers don't seem to understand why bringing 8 dogs to an already crowded dog park (with only one walker supervising the mayhem) is a problem. They make a lot of money doing it, but it's not safe, which is why I've chosen not to jump on that bandwagon. Off leash hikes would be a wonderful alternative to it, but there isn't really anywhere to do it near Tacoma...sigh.

Alchemist: It sounds like you've found a great dog walker as well! Eventually (when we have a house, not an apartment) I'd love to be able to offer boarding at our home. For now though, if clients need vacation care I'll be referring them to my friend, Shana, who runs a pet sitting company in town.

Christina: Thanks for all the helpful advice!

1) I figured this would be something I'd encounter pretty regularly. If the client is really stuck on needing a noon appointment, then there's probably not much I can do for them (assuming my noon time slot is already taken) other than refer them to another company. But hopefully I can persuade them of the merits of other walk times. For example morning appointments (10-11am) can help lessen the chance of a dog becoming destructive throughout the day. It wouldn't be a guaranteed cure obviously, but if they're trashing the house because of boredom and pent up energy, then a morning workout might be just the ticket. Afternoon appointments also have their advantages. Lots of people take their dogs along on their morning workouts (jogging, biking, etc.) but just want to relax once they get home from work, so an afternoon walk could work well for them.

2) The way the GPS system works involves QR codes, so it's kind of a punch clock of sorts, as well as a communication channel. Each client is issued a QR code (to be kept at the client's house), so when I pick up the dog I just scan it with my smartphone and it sends an email or text alert to the client letting them know I've arrived, and then GPS tracks my phone in real time until I scan out again (it sends them an alert when I leave as well). They can watch our walk live on their computer, or log in later and view the route then. When I scan out, I have the option of sending the owner a more detailed message, or I can leave a paper note instead, whatever the client prefers.

3) Couldn't agree more! I decided early on that since driving is one of my least favorite parts of the job, that I wanted to minimize the amount of time I spend doing it. My service area is Tacoma, and only Tacoma. You can drive pretty much anywhere in Tacoma in about 15 minutes, so that should cut down on my commutes.

4) Yeah, a website is definitely a must have, and it's pretty useless if customers can't find you in the search results. I'm currently still designing mine, but I hope to have it done soon.

5) Great advice! I'd already planned on introducing myself to the other dog related businesses in town (trainers, pet stores, rescues, etc.) but it never occurred to me to extend that to include other walkers.

6) Definitely solid advice.

7) Yep, the contact page on my site already has one.

8) I agree! I always gag when I see business names like that, so I steered clear of them when picking mine. I chose a sole proprietorship for the simplicity factor, as taxes and accounting make my head spin, but I'd be curious to hear why you chose LLC. What are the advantages to it?

Thank you for the great advice and well wishes!