BC Boards

Would you quit?

If you view your relationship with your dog in any other way, then I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on the best part about having a dog, which is unfortunate because we don't get to enjoy them as long as we would like to.

THIS is spot on!

I'm sure a lot of agility judges say this type of thing, but...at a recent trial, the judge gave his usual briefing, and then talked about remembering why we play, and what's important out there. About how he thinks of the dogs he ran who aren't here anymore, and how he'd give anything to be able to run them again. After having a very bad trial shortly before, that really put the Q chasing into perspective for me. I'm human, and want to be successful like anyone else, but there's a bottom line, and ribbons and titles ain't it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, you take the dog home and love the dog till the day it dies....and it really doesn't matter if it has one thousand titles or none. It took me a long time to realize that....my dogs didn't know if they had a UD after their name or a CH before it....but they did know they were loved.

Spot On!

This so gets to the bottom line that I actually started to tear up when I read it, which wasn't good, since I was sitting in the waiting room at the dentist. If you view your relationship with your dog in any other way, then I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on the best part about having a dog, which is unfortunate because we don't get to enjoy them as long as we would like to.

It made me cry too. I lost my heart dog just 3 weeks ago and I still physically ache every single time I think of him. I too experienced the loss of an agility dog who was really special when he hurt his back, and yeah it kind of sucked that I didn't have a dog to play agility with for several years after that.

But I wouldn't trade our remaining time together for anything, and in the end whatever titles or recognition he got pales in comparison to his greatest role which was being my friend.

If your friend can't get past this, well I feel sorry for her.

• 3 weeks later...

Im just an agility neewb..but if this dog is truly her "heart" dog..wouldnt she want to set him up to excel where he CAN excel? I dropped both my heart dogs to preferred due to a mental problem with one and a physical issue with the other..my goal was to make it fun for them and me..

as someone who experienced an intense discouragment ment recently at a trial..which made me question why I do this..within 5 minutes I was mad at MYSELF for feeling that way..espc when I saw the look on my dog's face of utter confusion of why I was so dissapointed and discouraged when we had so much FUN! (in his mind)

It BROKE my heart..he knew I was dissapointed in him..Ill never do that to him again..

I think this handler needs a reality check and to re-evaluate why she is truly doing agility..

:) she finished his titles this past weekend. So no quitting for him(her border collie). He even placed against some very tough competitors! :)

He seems to be doing awesome using the back on track coat and with Cheaper massages. (She doesnt massage since he fights her when she tries. )