BC Boards

Passing of a long time member Mum24Dog

Mum24Dog's daughter shared this yesterday on Agilitynet and I wanted to share it with the boards. I had the opportunity to meet Pam last summer at the Kennel Club Agility Festival and got to her thank her in person for all the help she gave me navigating English agility and finding an ISDS pup.

I can't quite believe I'm writing this but as some of you know, my Mum, Pam Ellwood, was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer back in January. Today, she lost her battle. The only saving grace we really have is that throughout it all, she wasn't ever in too much pain.

Anyone who has ever met my Mum or been to Lune Valley show will know how very determined she was. Her determination was always driven by the strongest desire to make sure that people were happy and had a good time, whether that be for the time she spent as the secretary at my sisters' high school, as club and show secretary at Lune Valley or just being a great Mum. The amount of effort she put into the things she did, particularly the Lune Valley shows, CANNOT be underestimated. I saw it first hand year in, year out and I know so many of you appreciated her and the work she did for the benefit of the agility community. She didn't even run a dog these last few years, partly because I kept stealing them, but she wanted to stay a part of the community.

I feel like this post isn't really doing her justice to those that don't know her but to those that do, you will have your own thoughts about her and I'm sorry to be sharing such dreadful news. I know she's shared many an opinion on topics on Agilitynet (and the Agility forum before that), which may well have irked some of you. But this most likely irked people that didn't really know her. Above everything, she believed in fairness and whenever she felt fairness was at risk, she would say so. Whether you agreed or disagreed with her, noone can question her motives, as they were always in the interest of fairness and equality. She was the epitome of selflessness and we could all learn to be a bit more like her in that respect.

Agility can be such a great community and has been for the 20ish years my Mum and I have been involved. So thank you to all who have been a part of that for her (and me, but this is more about her) and really given her so many good years and friends along the way. Be kind to each other everyone and remember that we are not here for very long. Make the most of the life we have and try to be as fair and selfless as you can. I know I will. Xxx

PS. I will be sure to share details of the funeral when arrangements have been made for anyone who would like to attend.

PPS. Because so many of you are such wonderful people, I'm sure many of you want to send messages of condolences. Of course that will be fine but I'm sorry if I don't reply to you all. It won't be anything personal, just a little hard to take at the moment.

I am so sorry to hear about mum24dog's passing. From my perspective, her posts were the ones I read with interest - for thewell-formed opinions of a long-time dog owner, agility 'expert', a common-sense approach and the UK perspective. I will miss her.

I am so sorry to hear this, and sorry for her family's loss.

Mum24dogs was feisty, outspoken, and candid, and offered those of us in North America some insights into dog ownership and agility in her corner of the world. I will miss her.

I am so sorry to hear this, and sorry for her family's loss.

Mum24dogs was feisty, outspoken, and candid, and offered those of us in North America some insights into dog ownership and agility in her corner of the world. I will miss her.

Well said.

How very sad...cancer sucks.

I am so sorry to hear this and will miss Mum24dogs thoughts, suggestions and opinions and being a part of this community.

No man is an island,

Entire of itself.

Each is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manor of thine own

Or of thine friend's were.

Each man's death diminishes me,

For I am involved in mankind.

Therefore, send not to know

For whom the bell tolls,

It tolls for thee.

Mum24dog was forthright but never resorted to pettiness. She served her opinions straight-up, but without posturing. I think she had integrity, and I will miss her input on these boards.