BC Boards

Tips for a super stubborn puppy?

This may sound really silly or stupid, but this is my first puppy so I'm looking for tips.

Gendry has a habit of doing things he's not supposed to, which is normal. He chews on things or takes things he's not allowed to. When I scold him, he'll grumble at me and try and bite it again. When I try to take it away, he'll groan and bite at the air. Even when I'm engaged with him with his toys, he'll turn away from the toy and say, start chewing on my bed or something else. Is there a way to stop the stubborn feedback? Even with general scolding, it's almost like he doesn't understand he's not allowed to, at all. Or he'll throw a fit. Ie. Outside, instead of going potty he'll bite my pant legs, so I correct him, then he starts going nuts groaning and whining and tearing up all the grass on the lawn. o.o

Another thing I need tips on is food issues. He does not like anything else eating but him. It doesn't matter if he's being fed at the same time, or if they're being fed first, he'll lose interest in his toys or food and start throwing a screaming fit trying to get to the others' food. It doesn't matter if it's the cat's, dog's, or human's food. And one thing that's making me nervous, therefore I need help with this, is if I approach him to correct him, he sometimes shows aggression. It's in early stages, so I'm looking for the best way to knock this habit out.

Thank you!

AND.

I might as well introduce my little stubborn puppy, as I haven't yet.

This is Gendry, he is 16 weeks and a whooping 28lbs. He is a total doll aside from his stubbornness, and definitely the best choice I've ever made. < 3 We've only owned a total of three dogs, our first was a golden, but I was too young to hold responsibility. Our second dog was brought home in her late puppy stages (6mths), and our third is this little rascal right here. Our first border collie.

http://i.imgur.com/DIeuXou.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JAUrdNi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SG9IIA9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VmyD2zm.jpg

I am sure others will give you great detailed advice but the one thing that stood out in your post is all the corrections you are giving! If all you do is tell your dog what you can't do, what do expect him to do? Instead of pulling things out of his mouth and scolding him, teach him a good 'drop' command. Look around on youtube for instructions if you are unsure. Teach him to drop things so that when you need him to drop something, you can just ask without yanking things out of his mouth and yelling. You want him to drop it because you asked, not you pulling it out of his mouth.

For feeding time, feed him in a crate away from others. Let him have his time to eat and the others get their time. If you do want to work on this further I would suggest teaching him to 'trade up' with food. Again, look around online for instructions on how to teach this. It will teach him that when you approach and he is eating, you are going to give him something even better to eat! So much more fun than getting corrected and yelled at or forcfully taking things food away from him. If he pesters you while you eat, crate him or teach him a 'place' or 'go to mat' command.

Think about teaching more than correcting. Again, if you all you do is correct and tell him you cannot do something, what will he learn? You need to teach him what to do! Your dog is frustrated and just needs to be taught manners. Imagine if someone was constantly telling you 'no' and scolding you, wouldn't you eventually lash out in total frustration?

The one thing I've been trying to do with the grabbing things he's not supposed to is to remove it or give him a light scold, replace it with one of his toys then praise when he focuses on that. However, I will look into teaching him the proper drop it command. Thanks for that suggestion.

As for the food, he has no aggression over his own food, it is only when he sees somebody else's food. I can put him in a different room to feed him, however, my cats free feed (I know, that's not a good idea for cats) and he throws a fit if he sees them eating even dry food. I've tried to relocate the cat food into a room where he doesn't go, but the cats are so accustomed to where their food is they refuse to go to a different location to eat.

I'll check out kikopup, thanks!

Quinn was a Real Wild Child for his first 6 months, so I know exactly what you are talking about (though he didn't do the food thing). He had a ton of energy, got into everything, and had the attention span of a strobe light unless I was trying to distract him from doing something I didn't want, like chew the carpet. Then he could be extremely persistent. The good news is this phase will pass eventually, so take heart. :)

In the meantime, it is important to keep him from practicing unwanted behaviors which means you need to watch him like a hawk so you can intervene quickly. When you can't keep a close eye on him, crate him or keep him contained where he can't cause damage (which for Quinn was his crate). And meanwhile, do lots of fun training on basic obedience, tricks and manners. One of the things I did with Quinn was the Clicker Cookbook, which teaches things like impulse control, but in a fun and easy way for the dog. I taught leave it/drop it by always giving some other goodie (toy/treat) for what the dog was leaving. It is important to do it in incremental steps, so at first it is very easy for the puppy to leave it (he is on leash and can only strain towards what he wants or the food is in my fist which will not open until the dogs backs off and waits politely). I always keep little treats on me or right nearby so I can reward my puppy or new dog for good behavior and obedience.

Since you know how he is about food, put him in a crate when others eat, with his own food or a toy to chew on. I generally feed my puppies in their crates so they can eat their food undistrubed and also to associate the crate with great things like meal time. Giving him structure with a predictable routine can also be very helpful. Finding the right schedule of crate time/play/free time/ training for Quinn went a long way to keeping life relatively sane in those early months. And I also learned that when he seemed especially busy and naughty, it either meant we needed to play or train, or he was seriously overstimulated and needed to nap. It was usually, but not always, needing a nap and within a couple minutes of being put in his crate, Quinn would be out like a light.

Gendry's attention span should be improving soon and he will be easier to live with in that sense. But he will still be a smart, energetic pup who will need structure, training, fun and patience. Puppies are a ton of work! Have fun with your adorable little guy. Puppyhood passes quickly, and the time and effort you put into your wild man will result in a fantastic companion for life.

Glad to hear it'll come to an end sooner or later. xD

Thanks for the tips for the drop it command! When I first started it a while ago, I had a really hard time, but it seems he's picking it up fairly quickly now, I'll just keep at it.

I must say, that tip about the over stimulation is something I've never even considered. Thank you for that. A lot of the times he gets insanely destructive to an unmanageable point, not interested in me but destroying the place. He just entered that phase shortly after reading your post, and sure enough, when I lead him to his crate he conked out the moment he stepped inside.

Puppyhood is fun, but has its ups and downs. He is a great little guy, and I'll take these suggestions in improving his behaviour. Thanks a bunch!

I know nobody on here with agree with me but read up on Cesar Milan. I've raised all our dogs going by his standards and they are basically perfect dogs.

And you're not yet 18 .....

Here's a lesson you won't learn from watching him on TV - how to read a dog -

The very basics that either he clearly doesn't know or he wilfully chooses to ignore. Either way the man is dangerous.

And this is why -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omxz1YAyc4w

(Just one of the clips available of where he gets bitten.)

Want to follow him and get bitten too? Or end up with a dead dog pushed beyond its limits?