BC Boards

Terrible Aggression - at my wit's end, please help!

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Laurae. I tried spraying it on her towel while she was outside in the backyard this morning doing her business (couldn't watch) and wouldn't be back for about ten minutes; her reaction was different this time. Don't know if it is changing her behavior, going to try it for a little longer before I consider returning it since there are clinical trials behind its effectiveness and so forth. But at least there was no violence to the cat as soon as she smelled it this time.

Also, everyone, I know this has been a LONG thread and I can't believe y'all have been as responsive as you have (thank you so much!!!) but only two people have responded to my request for advice about choosing a BCVB and I wanna make an appointment today. Did everyone see this on the last page? Should I assume since both responses were "Texas" that's where everyone thinks I should go?

(3) As for BCVBs, I now have three options: highly recommended BCVB (Dr. Juarbe-Diaz) but must wait until June 4 to see her and drive 12 hours to Orlando (I've corresponded with JD in email and REALLY like her but seeing her would require waiting until AFTER my husband and I go on vacation and I'd really rather see someone sooner rather than later); highly recommended BCVB (Dr. Crowell-Davis at the University of Georgia veterinary hospital) who can see us as early as May 12 (BEFORE our trip) but requires that we drive 11 hours to Athens Georgia; and the closest BCVB only 3.5 hours away can see Pan May 11 (before our trip) in Sugarlands, Texas (Dr. Lore Haug).

I'm tempted to go to Texas, even though this person was not mentioned by the BCVB who was recommending the best BCVBs in this part of the country for me, because, one, this person is one of the only 50 board-certified veterinary behaviorists in the country and, two, I could actually take Pan BACK there if need be for a checkup - 2 additional hours + phone consults and emails etc are included in the original appointment price. Also Dr. Haug works primarily with aggressive dogs and there is a story about a dog named Kelly who sounds VERY VERY similar to Pan on her web page. I know, I know, testimonials are unscientific, but it sounds soooo promising. Anyway the thing is, I feel I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to judge any of their credentials myself. If anyone wants to send me private messages about this quandary with recommendations I'd welcome it - please don't criticize any of these three wonderful doctors in this thread, I think they all probably do great work - but if anyone has strong feelings about why we should see one of these doctors versus another please PM me!

Thanks,

Mary

Thanks, Laurae. I tried spraying it on her towel while she was outside in the backyard this morning doing her business (couldn't watch) and wouldn't be back for about ten minutes; her reaction was different this time. Don't know if it is changing her behavior, going to try it for a little longer before I consider returning it since there are clinical trials behind its effectiveness and so forth. But at least there was no violence to the cat as soon as she smelled it this time.

The diffuser I was talking about is the same DAP product, just delivered in a different way. Since you thought it might be the alcohol causing Pan to react in the opposite way it's designed to, I thought trying the diffuser might be another option. It comes as a refillable canister that plugs into the wall, like a Glade plug-in. One diffuser pack lasts a month and reaches something like a 400- or 500-foot area, so maybe keep it in a central area of the house, or a room where many of the confrontations occur. I think I remember that they're about $20 to start, with the refills being about $15 if you buy them online (they'll probably be a bit pricier in pet stores).

The diffuser I was talking about is the same DAP product, just delivered in a different way.

I'm using the DAP diffuser in the house currently as i have 2 male dogs in the house.. one being a very energetic and nosey irish terrier and the other one being kingsley who doesn't like dogs in his face and will growl and bite when his space is invaded.

I can't be certain if DAP works .. or it is due to the repeat exporsure of dogs to each other that they grew to tolerate each one.. but it SEEMS to calm both dogs down.. one being less restless and in the face.. and the other one ignoring and having less personal space.

i guess that if there's a possibility that it helps.. why not try it.

Pansmom... i have been following this thread.. though haven't commented on it. I applauded you on your commitment to Pan.

:rolleyes:

only two people have responded to my request for advice about choosing a BCVB and I wanna make an appointment today. Did everyone see this on the last page? Should I assume since both responses were "Texas" that's where everyone thinks I should go?

Thanks,

Mary

I highly recommend Dr. Haug. (I see you've already made an appt. with her, but I'm on the road and just had a chance to read the latest.)

Barbara

I highly recommend Dr. Haug. (I see you've already made an appt. with her, but I'm on the road and just had a chance to read the latest.)

Barbara

Thank you! Can't wait till Monday.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!