BC Boards

I just found a Lump on Tex

We went for a drive to the beach and he was sitting in the passenger seat of my van. I reached over to steady him for a big bump (he's blind and likes me to let him know about these things) and I started giving him a scritch on his chest.

The lump is mobile and about the size of a grape. It is located at the top of his left front leg, not in the armpit, more at the top of the bone.

We don't have an in town Vet for another month until the new clinic building is finished completion. I'm not panicking yet but has anyone found a similiar solid lump on their dogs legs? Tex is 8, a little flabby in spots because he doesn't run much and otherwise in great health.

You know, my beagles who are 12, both have fatty cysts all over their poor little bodies. (So does my husband). They are all benign, they are just something that their bodies create.

I have had one removed on edith, when it seemed in an uncomfortable place, but they can be really anywhere on their bodies.

I hope your lump is also not to worry about

--Denise

Hi Jo,

That sucks! But try not to panic since it might very well be a fatty cyst. Zachary has one on his back hip. I think there was a thread in the health section about lumps not that long ago. Is is possible he banged into something really hard which could cause a swelling? Knowing the way he and Loki play, it is possible esp. since it's on the front of his leg.

When I put my old 11yr girl down a couple yrs ago she was full of lipomas(fatty tumours).

They are harmless until they get real big then some can cause discomfort. But my old vet told me, that alot of them are easy to remove.

Our golden retriever had several "lipomas" (fatty tumors). We had the first one removed to make sure it was benign, but didn't bother with any others. They had well defined edges, were round or oval, felt like a soft grape, and were movable, as in not attached to anything but the skin above.

Good luck, as long as it is not growing or causing discomfort, I would think waiting a month is ok, what do you all think?

I know there's nothing to worry about. Everything will be ok. I have heard of of "lipomas" before too. It's probably just that.

None on Black Jack either. Good luck. God Bless

One of my old collies grew quite a large one on the side of her ribcage. When I first found it, it was a little smaller than an egg, and she had also had one on the other side that was a bit smaller. I asked the vet about them, she said they were lipomas. One of them disappeared all by itself and the other one grew. The possibility of removing them was discussed, my vet's opinion was that unless they're in an area that impacts the dog's comfort or ability to move as they grow (eg. in the armpit area), they can be left alone. They can also be removed for cosmetic purposes, but there's no guarantee that another won't grow somewhere else on the dog. Apparently some breeds are more prone than others to get them. If they are to be removed, it's better to do it while they're smaller, once they get quite large in size there could be a hollow underneath where they are, which may collect fluid after the surgery and not drain well. My dog was probably 10 or so when I found it on her and by the time we had to euthanize her at age 12 1/2 (unrelated to the lipoma) it had grown to about the size of a large grapefruit, maybe a little bigger.

Pete also had a lump that fits that discription.

I asked the vet to look at it and he said... "its nothing to worry about." didn't actually tell me what it was, just that I shouldn't worry...

on that note I am changing vets :rolleyes:

Buddy has an "Old Dog Lump" on his chest too. Doc said we would watch it but nothing really to worry about. I found one on Briar this weekend when I was brushing them. Called the vet and she said she spotted it last week during her testing. Just another fatty cyst. Let us know how Tex is.