BC Boards

yellow border collie

Dave45429

Sony is a yellow border collie (full or mixed breed). She looks exactly like the yellow dog on the Purina Beneful commmercial and the Hallmark channel mystery movie series,McBride.

several years ago I ran across a breeder's website they descibed the genetics at work. I believe they termed her coloring as the 'yellow yellow' border collie, as distinct from the gold or gold/tan. I believe that the yellow yellow carrying genes were dominant genes. Now I cannot find the website or any information on border collies with this coloring. I would like to find a picture.

I lover her regadless of lineage , genetics or anything else. Its just that 1 -- vet says Sony "may have some border collie in her" and 2) Sony is fair skinned and as she is getting older, her skin is sensitive. We bathe weekly with oatmeal and aloe, put Omega-3 on food, use pet food with flax seed. Condition is controllable but I was curious if this condition is common to the breed and if anything different should be done

Wow! This explains something that has been bugging me. Some mornings when we go to the park we run into a woman who has a wonderful dog she got from the shelter. This dog is colored like a golden but bodywise looks like a BC. But to top it off his behavior seems all BC. I've been bugging her to come with me some time to try him on sheep. Who knows? She just might have a BC!

Jennifer

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Does this site help?

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...C_ColorTan.html

J.

Thany you the picture of Nick could be my dog's twin. I will contact this site. Its not the site I saw in the past. That site's author seemed more certain about the dominant and recessive gene pools that product the various sable, yellow and tan varieties.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dad just lost his silver-haired border collie, "Bodie" yesterday. He collapsed doing what he loved: working cattle in the mountains of Montana. Since Bodie is the only silver border collie we have seen, I was wondering if any of you know a breeder to get another. He can never be replaced, but a pup would help our healing.

Originally posted by bedoggin:

My dad just lost his silver-haired border collie, "Bodie" yesterday. He collapsed doing what he loved: working cattle in the mountains of Montana. Since Bodie is the only silver border collie we have seen, I was wondering if any of you know a breeder to get another. He can never be replaced, but a pup would help our healing.

By Silver, do you mean lilac or blue?

Lilac Color Examples

Blue

I'm sorry to hear about your dad losing Bodie, but it's great to know that he died doing something that he enjoyed!

Blue truly is a beautiful color. I was shocked last year to see 3 blue pups in my litter. Then this year I mated Jess to Ty (a ##Wisp grandson) and found not only several blue, but blue tri-color. Jess is black/white and Ty is black tri-color. I know several breed for color. I truly did not breed for the color.

A lady recently told me that she purchased a sable/white Border Collie from a "reputable" ABCA breeder a few years ago. When it arrived it was a sheltie mix. But was ABCA registered. How can we be sure of pure BC in these rare colors?

Originally posted by jimahall:

A lady recently told me that she purchased a sable/white Border Collie from a "reputable" ABCA breeder a few years ago. When it arrived it was a sheltie mix. But was ABCA registered. How can we be sure of pure BC in these rare colors?

Okay, I have to ask. How did she determine it was a sheltie mix? DNA test? The breeder told her? It's perfectly possible to have a sable/white border collie, so color alone is certainly no indicator of any wrong doing/mixed breeding. And if the woman had actual proof of a misrepresented dog, did she take that proof to the ABCA? If not, then you shouldn't even be repeating such allegations.

Take a look at these sable border collies:

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...ColorSable.html

By your definition, the first dog shown would most definitely be a border collie x sheltie. Also check out the link for yellow dogs earlier in this post. If you don't know what you're seeing, you might think the dogs are mixes, but they're not.

Welcome to the world of dogs who were mainly bred for how they worked and not standardized as to color and coat. That's what makes the border collie unique.

By the way, clever advertising for your blue puppies there....

J.

She said that it was a small dog with a long nose. It looked exactly like a sheltie. I do not know if she filed a complaint or not. She said it happened several years ago. She did not say if she had a photo. I would not repeat, and will not repeat the breeders name. She said that the photo the breeder sent was not the same breed as what she got. It is possible that the transporter did a switch. I asked about that. I personally would have complained to the ABCA.

These are beautiful dogs. And all obviously border collies. the lady told me hers was definetly part or all sheltie. The head was small and the nose pointed. It was of miniature size. I enjoy looking at the BCMuseum site. Lots to learn about the history of the BC. I ahve the site saved on my "favorites" list.

Jim,

I know several people who have tiny border collies, at least as small as a sheltie, if not smaller. At least one of them is a regular poster on these boards and I can assure you that her dog is purebred. I have also seen a number of border collies with what I call "fox faces"--smaller faces with pointy noses, very foxlike (even in the hands of some top handlers). As you probably know, border collies have not been bred for standardized looks (unless you count the Barbie collies) so just assuming that a border collie isn't a border collie based on looks is a HUGE mistake. Neither of my two best working dogs looks like a classic border collie (but they are indeed purebred). When I moved and lost one overnight, some of my rescue friends actually posted her on different breed rescue sites simply to cover the contingency that the average person might not recognize her as a border collie. (Thanks to an alert neighbor, I got her back the next day.) Anyway, my point was that you shouldn't be repeating such a story, especially since it's hearsay and the original owner never took any action to correct what she considered to be a misdeed, but which very likely may not have been. You can't not take action against sustpected or blatant breeding mischief and then continue to repeat the story of the misdeed without making yourself (and your motives for repeating said story) suspect. (I am using "you" in the generic sense here.)

J.

What would you think this dog is?

Maid.jpg

She's Ann's half sister, and I assure you she's purebred. It was an unplanned breeding but it happened at a trial with several people watching.

Here's Ann:

AnnBeccaMay05.jpg

Here's the sire they share in common:

HapLambsApril05.jpg

Their mothers look nothing alike - these two pups favor a distant extremely prepotent ancestor that appears in their peds multiple times. You never know what's going to pop up in a breed with this much variety. There's no reason to question the veracity of a purebred breeding based on looks.

The way you make sure you're getting what you asked for, is don't buy from a breeder who has questionable breeding practices. Advertising based on color and especially charging more for "colors" is a big red flag. Of course, having lots of litters available at all times is another big warning sign - properly caring for a single mother and pups and doing all the acommpanying paperwork is a ton of work. I can't assume that someone with four or five litters on the ground at once is giving each pup and its mother personal attention.

Hi, we have a yellow border collie. She was found at night near a road in West Virginia. She was picked up by a friend and on the way to the SPCA he brought her by for us to see. It was instant love. She was about 7 weeks old and weighed about 7 pounds. We took her to the Vet and she said she didn't know what breed she was. We didn't find out until she was a year old that she was a border collie. She looks like the ones on the museum page and also the Purina Befefil commercial. She is the sweetist thing. I think she also has sensitive skin as she is always itching. I will post a pic if I figure out how to.