BC Boards

More Future Puppy Questions

If any of you remember I have been trying to decide when adding a third dog will be best. It looks like due to a planned breeding I'm really excited about that I will be getting a puppy in Spring/Summer 2017. I was wondering if any of you have ever flown out to get a puppy and then brought it home on the return flight?

If so how does that work? Would I be able to get a crate for a border collie puppy that would qualify as a carry on or do I have to check the puppy (which makes me super nervous)?

The breeder is either an 18 hour drive one way or a 2 hour one way flight, but cost wise it's cheaper to fly stay a night and fly back. I've got about a year to decide. My main concern is what is the best way to get a puppy who is quite a ways away home with the least risk and stress on the puppy.

Also is it a better idea to drive my current dogs out to meet the puppy or is it better to meet once the puppy is home?

I've never gotten a dog from more than three hours away, so this will be a new adventure for me.

Sorry for all the questions. I just like being as prepared as possible.

I've never flown a pup, so can't help at all with that

But if it is a very young 'un (like 7-8 weeks), you should be able to carry him/her on in a Sherpa bag (or similar).

That said.....*I* hate flying so much, I just can't imagine doing it. 18 hour drive one way *is* a big factor though.

If you do end up driving, I'd advise taking someone else along. Having someone to drive while you snuggle and get puppy kisses would be SAFER. <VBG>

I don't think there's a huge advantage to taking your current dogs to meet the pup "off site." I like my dogs to meet a new dog in neutral territory - which is easier when you're not at home. But one at a time, in a neighbor's yard or somewhere else, is a great idea.

And don't expect instant love. The pup may be fine with older dogs - but depending on ages, the older ones may think it's an "intruder" and have little tolerance. Pup, of course, will need to learn self-control! Just don't forget to continue routines and love for the current dogs.

I'm sure you'll get more advice re flying from others. Good luck!

diane

I've done that twice. Both times the pups were 8 weeks old. I purchased a soft crate with the dimensions that would meet the restrictions set by the airlines (needs to fit under seat like any carry on). It really was fairly stress-free. As long as you familiarize yourself with the rules - vet check paperwork, crate rules (size, materials, etc) it should be doable. They require you to have food and water dishes on the crate, which is silly, because you really don't want that puppy eating. I just purchased small collapsible ones that clipped onto the crate. I offered water during plane changes.

Each time I flew to get a pup, I had to change planes. So, of the four flights with a pup, only once did they require me to actually stow pup/crate under the seat. The airline people were very lenient and let me hold the pup the entire time on three of the flights. Everybody cooed the pups silly till I was quite embarrassed, and the pups only whined for a few minutes before settling down. A chewy bite kept them busy.

Overall, it was a positive experience. Good luck!

I haven't had any experience with the matter. I flew Keeper out to me, but he had to suck it up and fly cargo. I didn't like it, but it had to be done.

I think there would be little value in bringing an adult dog to meet the pup. I'll reiterate, don't expect love. Keeper loves puppies, and loved Scooter....until he realized we forgot the receipt. :)

I haven't traveled with a dog by air yet, but when I was puppy hunting a while back, I did a lot of research. :)

You need to check with the specific airline, but a puppy or small dog or cat can be carry-on baggage if it fits comfortably in a crate can be stowed under the seat ahead of you. That's a pretty small size, so you'll have to be sure the pup will fit. One site says dimensions are about 8-9 inches high, 12-13 inches wide and 15-23 inches long. It varies by airline, but the pup must be able to stand up, turn around and lie down in the carrier easily.

If the pup is too big to fit in the under-seat carrier, then you'll have to check him/her in as checked baggage. But not every airline accepts pets in the cargo area, so you'll have to do your research. You must also check with the airline's website for their requirements as to paperwork and food/water availability. Make sure you follow their exact specifications as it may vary by airline..

A 2-hour flight sounds like it should be pretty simple, but a shorter flight can also sometimes mean a smaller plane, which may or may not have space for a crated pet. Have you looked into the possibility of having the pup shipped to you? I did that with my girl Nell and it worked great. Her breeder used the United Airlines PetSafe program which provided a dedicated transport service from the terminal to the plane, no sad dogs sitting around on the tarmac with the suitcases. Plus they had real-time online tracking all the way from Maryland to San Francisco, where I picked her up. Nell arrived clean, happy and un-traumatized.

Anyhow, that's the scoop as I know it. :)

~ Gloria

My breeder will ship, but prefers to meet people the first time they get a puppy from her. Not to say she won't ship to someone she has never met, but I'd also like to meet the puppy and breeder before hand.

I think that's a great plan. :) I was confident having my pup shipped because I already knew the mother dog and had a fairly long-term online acquaintance with the breeder via Facebook. Sounds like a good idea for you and the breeder both.

~ Gloria

The best bags to get are the ones that are squashable up top but have a firm base. My pup had to put with three planes and a substantial delay on one flight but we both made it home safely. Collapsible dishes, and a set of wipes are good. Also a newspaper makes a good insulating layer on the bottom of the crate and can be disposed of or replaced easily if peed on, unlike a crate pad.

The breeder (who knew me) left it up to me: ship the pup, or fly out to collect him. I opted to fly close to 2500 miles to collect Ross as a puppy, rather than having him shipped, in part because I wanted to be able to choose him, and in part because at the time (three years ago) Federal offices were going through "sequestration", which meant that sometimes planes could be grounded for hours before takeoff. You never know what the weather was going to be like in May, and I didn't want to risk an overheated puppy in the cargo section under those circumstances.

There weren't any nonstop flights, so I had to change planes on both the outbound and on the return trip.

I borrowed a carrier from a friend (an airline-approved one - it pays to check with the airline you'll be using, and yes, they do have to fit under the seat in front of you, you're not allowed to keep it on your lap during takeoff or landing). I put some "puppy pads" inside it in case of an accident. I did have to let the airline know in advance that I'd be bringing a puppy, and I think I did pay some nominal charge (on Southwest). (If you're flying Southwest, I strongly advise you get their "early bird" special - otherwise it's difficult or impossible to check in 24 hours in advance for the return trip if you're in the air for the outbound trip at that point, and no one wants to be stuck in the center section with no area in the overhead bin for your luggage and a puppy as carry-on. Well worth the $12.50 charge!).

I picked out my pup the afternoon I arrived (Ross chose me, as it turns out). He stayed at his breeder's that night. I picked him up at 4:30 the next morning, loaded him in his crate, and headed off to the airport. Offered him the chance to pee at the airport - nope. Boarded my plane, and arrived at my stop without an incident - my seatmates didn't even know I had a pup with me. At the interim stop, I went into a "family" style bathroom, put some puppy pads down, and tried to encourage him to pee. Nope, not having any of it. I boarded my second flight - this time, as I was one of the last to board, my seatmates noticed I had a puppy. Everyone made a fuss over him. He remained good as gold. Arrived at my destination, offered him a chance to pee - nope. Got home. By this point he'd been holding it for something like 14 hours. When he got home, he finally peed and pooped. I ended up giving away a bunch of puppy pads, none of which had ever been used.

I think fewer airlines are shipping dogs these days. If I'm correct, Delta recently announced it was no longer shipping dogs. Too bad, as they've had a pretty good reputation.

I wouldn't bother driving your current dogs out to meet the new one. I don't think you'll learn much from it. I know people who have had dogs that help choose the puppy - but subsequently decide they hate it. Puppies are different from adult dogs. Duncan was not at ALL sure about Ross when they first met. After a couple of months he warmed up, though. It's fun seeing them (at nearly three and seven) playing together.

I believe Delta is still shipping dogs, but only as cargo. They will no longer accept pets as checked baggage. This is a difference in what they charge as well as where the dogs are dropped off and picked up at the airport. Otherwise, they are handled the same. That's my understanding from the article anyway.

So, for example (old system)...

checked baggage = dropped off within the terminal, pay about $100, pick up at baggage claim

cargo = dropped off at the shipping office several hours pre flight, pay based on weight, which is about $350 for an adult BC, picked up at the shipping office, can only ship on days the shipping office is open (no Sunday flights for many airports)