BC Boards

Accidental inbreeding

s9286

I have some concerns over a new litter of pups my bitch just had. She accidently got bred by her father and although I took her to the vet right away for the abortion shot ,it did not work. All the pups were delivered fine but because both dogs are white factored I ended up with a solid white pup...no pigment at all...pink nose...I did some research and the conclusion I have come to is she will probably be deaf. My questions are does anyone out there have any suggestions on this topic and should I for go registering these pups with the ABCA because they are inbred. I have raised and worked Border Collies for 11 years but I have had to cutback doing so now do to my own health problems. Any thoughts welcome.....Thanks Stacy

It sounds like you work them on stock and they are proven? I would still register them; they are line bred and I do not think there is any rule against that.

Have the hearing Baer tested early on all of the pups; you may either have to find a very special home for the white one (if it is deaf) or PTS;

Enjoy the puppies...lots of accidental litters have turned out excellent herding dogs.

cynthia

I have some concerns over a new litter of pups my bitch just had. She accidently got bred by her father and although I took her to the vet right away for the abortion shot ,it did not work. All the pups were delivered fine but because both dogs are white factored I ended up with a solid white pup...no pigment at all...pink nose...I did some research and the conclusion I have come to is she will probably be deaf. My questions are does anyone out there have any suggestions on this topic and should I for go registering these pups with the ABCA because they are inbred. I have raised and worked Border Collies for 11 years but I have had to cutback doing so now do to my own health problems. Any thoughts welcome.....Thanks Stacy

Sometimes the accidental breedings work out rather well if the lines aren't close themselves and are solidly proven as working dogs and sound breeders. It would be nice if you could get a least one or two in good working homes themselves if you don't do it any longer - sometimes the success of such a cross can be very useful in understanding what lines carry what working characteristics.

You can place them with a NB designation, which means the buyers can't themselves get papers on any pups from those dogs if they breed them - unless you agree to reverse it later.

I want to second the suggestion that you have at least the white pup BAER tested, unless it's clear to you that the pup is indeed deaf. Accidental breedings happen. I have the pup of one such breeding right now (she'll soon be 3) and she's running in ranch and capable of doing an open course (just not running in open because I already have two open dogs). As others have said, linebreeding is not illegal--it's just not for the faint of heart. Good luck.

J.

I thought that it was only a double merle cross that could cause hearing and vision problems. I didn't think that there was a problem with two heavily white factored dogs. But, I admit, I'm not completely up on the genetics of color.

I thought that it was only a double merle cross that could cause hearing and vision problems. I didn't think that there was a problem with two heavily white factored dogs. But, I admit, I'm not completely up on the genetics of color.

In all the resaerch I've done they do refer alot to the double merle breeding causing deaf and blind pups,however the research also showed a white pup in general could suffer from deafness as well. Odds are kind of stacked against her...Her granddam is a blue tri merle so I'm just thinking she probably is deaf. I will have the test done once she is old enough. Thanks for the response...Stacy

The reason merle causes problems is that it causes depigmentation. Depigmentation occurring for other reasons (white factoring) would have the same effect.

I consider anything within the immediate family "inbreeding" but depending on what's behind them all may turn out OK.

I'm not up on registering pups since I've never had one with papers. They have all been rescues. The white pup may be deaf, but no need to PTS as someone else suggested. Unless there is a serious health issue, there are plenty of people that would love to "adopt" the pup if it were deaf. If it turns out not to be and you're worried about your lines being compromised, just sell the pup with a S/N contract. There are plenty of people that would love a pure white pup :rolleyes: