BC Boards

Patroling 15 Acres

Amelia,

Thanks for your kind words regarding Keeva will be fine spending time with me.

I have had a Female German Sheperd (pup), Female Saint Bernard (rescue dog), Female Austrialian Sheperd (pup), Chocolate Lab (pup), and now Keeva border collie (pup).

Alas only the lab and Keeva are alive.

Why 2nd heat? None of dogs above suffered from any orthopedic issues. I just think that bewtween 14months and 18 months is optimal if not breeding. The German Sheperd (Niki) lived to be 18 and just did not wake up.

I am sure you are thinking this whole post could have been eliminated if I had Keeva spayed.

She is very different 11 month old pup than any of my beloved dogs above. With them we stayed on leash and kept inside. And Yes I have had to call animal control to remove unwanted males. When your female refuses to go out and pee because she knows he is hiding in the woods.

But Keeva loves to run (contolled) but as I said above a different kind of dog. We will get through the next couple of weeks and be back to our normal return.

Just curious, why do you not want to spay your bitch until after her 2nd heat? With over 3 million unwanted dogs killed in this country every year, and some percentage of those coming from oops litters, why take a chance? Whatever your reason, I can't imagine it's worth the the worry. I'm not aware of any reason not to spay before the first heat.

Not the OP, but my reasons are because I want the dog to mature, the growth plates to close. Those are good enough reasons for me. I assume you keep your dogs intact until they've proven themselves good workers or not. I know that's not the same as a pet dog, but there are actually scientific studies available that support a later spay or neuter for health reasons.

For the average pet owner who isn't likely to be careful, spaying or neutering at 6 months probably makes sense, but for the well-informed, careful owner who wants his/her dog to gain the advantages provided by the hormones produced with intact parts, I see no reason to insist that they neuter early if they choose to wait until the animal is fully sexually mature.

J.

Liz

I had that terrier when I was 19, didn't know any better. He was neutered later in life and I'm sorry that I ever let him add to the gene pool but I was ignorant to the over population issues and maybe that long ago it wasn't so over populated, although I don't think that's a reason to breed even back then. I just didn't know any better.

Shit happens but I can say that it hasn't happened round here because I am on top of my intact female. If I felt there was anyway that I could not be careful I would opt to spay my dog if I thought she wasn't breed worthy but what if she is...then what? Inside the whole time? How bout you, is that what you do?

Yes shit happens and hopefully if we are responsible we will deal with it if it does happen. But I don't walk around planning on crap happening that day or anyday, even when my female is in heat. Precautions are good but walking around thinking things are going to happen can't make for much of a good day.

When someone asks a question and only one answer is given when there are lots of answers and information out there. I choose to give a different opinion since that is my thoughts.

I don't believe you can not walk a female in heat on your own property and not be safe.

Amelia,

Do you really wonder why the lady that ran before you paraded her in heat female around your dog? Maybe ignorance, maybe she didn't know your dog was a male? But I doubt it if she was running open at Meeker. We all know what an in heat female can do to a intact male. Again if we are responsible for our own dogs, it shouldn't be that big a deal. If I saw you were getting ready to run and I knew your dog was a male and mine was in heat, I hope I'd have the respect due you to not parade her around your dog till at least after your run. But are you saying I should bow out of a trial if my dog comes in?

Not advocating keeping dogs intact but I think Frisbee girl has a good idea of why and when she wants to spay her dog. She even talked about being a breeder of a different breed. She must have some education on dogs in heat.

Well Here is an update, as many of you have stated I need to watch Keeva and see what kind of dog she is in heat. All breeds are not the same.

I was so concerned about her not being able to run (bound of rock walls, its like she is flying).

Well the 15 acre border hike every morning has been altered just alitle bit. A very special man went out and weedwacked Keeva and I path that cuts somewhat (there are horse fields and paddocks and a barn) through the acreage.

Well I still put her on the 26 foot leash (Dont Mess with Mother Nature!) and she thought this was heaven.

Something new looks to me for direction. It was awesome.

I still need to keep her in when she starts flagging. I have been through breeding before.

Her eyes lit up and she doexn't look at the leash like she did something wrong.

Probably she would have been fine with new lifestyle in a few days anyway.

But i thank all of you. Its just been a crazy couple days.post-13260-096068200 1342132773_thumb.jpg

I had that terrier when I was 19, didn't know any better.

OK, makes sense now.

Yes shit happens and hopefully if we are responsible we will deal with it if it does happen. But I don't walk around planning on crap happening that day or anyday, even when my female is in heat. Precautions are good but walking around thinking things are going to happen can't make for much of a good day.

Yeah, but that's the thing, people don't plan accidents. They think, "it can't happen to me, I am too careful," but it does. I just don't want people reading this to take the responsibility of owning an intact bitch lightly.

So what things are affected by spaying early or late? I was told by a vet that spaying before the first heat can prevent certain types of mammary cancers. But I've read that spaying after the first heat can prevent certain types of bone cancers. I'm so confused. Tiga was neutered pretty early, before he was a year although I can't remember exactly how old he was.

No dog ever died of boredom. Think of all the times as a kid you had to spend days inside for one reason or another. Yep, you're still here too. She might not be happy being confined during a heat, but she will survive and will be safe. Just saying . . . Why take chances?

Just like Amelia mentioned in a previous post it would probably take Keeva 2 days to get used to the new routine.

Now when we go out (on the leash) she holds her head high as if to go along with the plan.

In the begining it broke my heart she thought she was being punished head down ears pinned back quick glances.

We are now back to eye contact. She is still showing blood but when that ends we will be on a short leash,outside quick and mostly inside.

We all agreed that I would need to see what kind of bitch in heat she is. She is not crazy or agressive but she has as each day passes a lack of focus. Even though I think my recall is set if she is not focusing on me or the training we are doing i might well take advantage of this time to teach a few more things. Her vocabulary in in increasing.post-13260-061304500 1342285440_thumb.jpg